Ever feel like you're watching a train wreck? (Friends asking for advice during the application process)

I know some otherwise very dependable people who assume this is a mostly automatic process. They treat choosing a college the way most people treat choosing a television/car/shoes - brief research, apply, buy. Very few go into any depth about this.

I’ve also been asked for advice in the real world. The problem with me was I initially expected each advice seeker to have a similar level of engagement/interest that I had. What I have discovered is none do. They either have a very narrow range of schools they target, a very tiny geographic range, and/or they are unwilling to do any research or change any pre-conceived ideas about the process.

It’s almost like students/families are kicking-the-tires when they ask for advice. They want random information, but don’t want to do anything besides talk and look. In the end, it seems they choose whatever option I would have predicted without my being involved. And I think that’s usually a great option, but getting there didn’t require my involvement, my time, my energy.

Today, I’m very particular about whom I advise. I listen to everyone. I give generic small-talk advice to many. Very rarely do I get in depth with a student/family. Some recent “help me” episodes were …

1: High Stats kid whose mother thought should go to a T40, though she had no idea which schools were in the T40 outside of Ivies. And after talking to her son, I realized he had absolutely no interest in going out of state. He’d already decided on his favorite, I knew he was likely to be admitted, and I restricted my advice. He was admitted to his top choice and started a couple of weeks ago.

2: Good Stats kid whose father talked to me early in the process. After acceptances were out, I realized he ignored everything I said and that they had applied to the usual batch of in-state publics, along with a couple of neighboring state publics. Predictably, the daughter wanted to attend the OOS public to “go somewhere different.” No matter that the OOS public was a shorter drive from home than her top option in-state. In state would have been $5K/yr out of pocket thanks to grandparent help; OOS would have meant loans of $25K/yr for my friend. I told the father bluntly and repeatedly that he would be a fool to do it. Fortunately, he told his daughter the OOS public was no longer an option. One month in, she’s happy at her in-state public - but I wish I had saved myself the time I spent working out a target list of private university options that might have been financially feasible for this softball daughter.

The only train wrecks that really bother me are the low-income kids whose parents don’t encourage to pursue college because they assume there’s no money to help them. I see too many very capable kids go straight into the unskilled workforce.

Or the train wrecks where a student has to work a job as a college student, but gets sucked into the trap of working too many hours and eventually drops out. That breaks my heart.

5 Likes

People tend to err on overestimating themselves (and by extension their children) while simultaneously underestimating others in regards to achievement and potential.

And they think that others’ successes are often based on “luck” whereas a person tends to attribute their own success due to their personality and hard work.

7 Likes

Oh yes. Unfortunately, yes.

Parents who traveled far to take their kids to tour and apply to highly selective schools their pretty good stats kid would never get into, and even if they did, family could never afford, since they made too much for fin aid, but far from enough to pay rack rate. Parent thought that if kid had SAT and GPA that was within the accepted range at hyperselective schools, it meant they would get in.

Divorced parent with bad credit and unreliable other parent, who was incensed at the suggestion that their B student with no honors, let alone APs, and no budget, might consider living at home and attending the local state college. They started them at OOS equivalents no better than their in state public, or at lesser private schools, with unreliable parent initially cosigning massive loans. Unreliable parent then refuses to continue to cosign, forcing child to leave after 1-2 yrs, with over 100k in debt. At best they will finish at local 4 yr state college that I suggested in the first place. At worst, drop out, no degree, just massive debt.

Introverted quiet average good student who manages to get into a slightly less selective Ivy based upon affirmative action, who promptly crashes and burns due to, big surprise, no supportive peer group for them at the rural school famous for its frat and jock atmosphere.

But hey, it happens on here, too!

I thought of more trains wrecks I’ve witnessed…

Kid went to small private Christian school and racked up 200k in parent plus loans. :flushed: Parents go on and on about how hard it is for kids to launch these days… um, duh, you let your kid accumulate 200k in debt you expect him to pay for.

Smart kid didn’t realize how competitive college has gotten and didn’t have enough financial safeties, chased prestige. The kid’s only acceptance was USC. Spent 1.5 years there, now the family is tapped out and kid can’t continue. Kid has student loans and no degree, trying to get some kind of coding certificate to be employable.

My kids go to a hs where the majority of kids stay in state or go to nearby state publics. Many parents I talk to seem to think other schools are out of their reach financially or quite simply dont want their kids to think they can physically stray too far from home.
In general, I find many parents around here just dont put much time and effort into researching.

1 Like

Maybe it wasn’t meant to be, but this description is offensive.

I’m sure they were qualified. Even “slightly less selective” ivies have lots of good applicants to choose from in every bucket, including URM. You are probably right that not having a peer group, a possibly hostile environment (like folks assuming they shouldn’t be there), and being a quieter sort who couldn’t find supports was the problem. But how was that a train wreck in the making at application? We’d have hoped that a school of this calibre would have resources to address these shortcomings.

13 Likes

IRL I just nod and smile. I am more focused on where my 2.5 year old granddaughter is going for pre school so she would have a shot at a T20. I am telling D1 to make sure she is donating to her alma mater. It’s only 16 years away.

1 Like

Parent trainwreck I have witnessed is friends who didn’t have the funds to pay for school and racked up loans (no savings for college and not enough income to pay out of pocket). Their kids probably should have lived at home, gone to CC, and then transferred to one of the 3 state schools they could have also commuted to.

Other trainwreck situations are the parents who have an “average excellent” kid (high GPA, solid test scores, HS sports, the usual ECs) and assume the kids will get in anywhere. They just don’t recognize not only how many average excellent kids there are, but also how many truly exceptional kids are out there.

One particular trainwreck was a parent saying to me “We didn’t like MIT for Bobby”. Good thing because super nice kid, solid B student, Bobby is not getting into MIT! However, they did like Harvard for him. Why would you set your kid up like that?

4 Likes

No one would have known this person was in an affirmative action group, other than the admissions officer. And it was the absolute worst fit possible. Family focused on prestige, refused to hear what an awful fit it was. They somehow thought that the college demographics from 250 years ago were relevant to today.

That you still don’t get it is very sad.

13 Likes

Get what, that a family ignored advice that the school was a terrible fit for the student, instead chose it based on its history from 250 yrs ago, prestige, and that the student was preferentially admitted based on a checked box, and that exactly what I had predicted did indeed come to pass?

Reminder that there is only one thread where race and admissions is permissible and it’s in the political forum.
And CC is not a debate society. Please move on.

5 Likes

Yes. And I was wrong… quite surprised and delighted when the kid from teeny private school with no AP classes got into Stanford. (He self-studied and did well on AP exams).

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 180 days after the last reply. If you’d like to reply, please flag the thread for moderator attention.