Everyone, Just Tell Me Everything.

<p>Tell me what you think about Geneseo.
Student, Alumnus, or outsider... just tell me what you know, and how you feel about Geneseo. I just want to start this forum to become a general topic starter for Geneseo.</p>

<p>I'm considering transferring for the Spring 09 semester, and I want to know all that I can.</p>

<p>i think if your going to apply, you really should have put in your application by now.</p>

<p>I have, I'm accepted.
I'm just deciding now.</p>

<p>So please, tell me everything.</p>

<p>congrats! im applying as well, so i probably wouldnt be the best to answer your questions.</p>

<p>Yes, I think this is a great thread!</p>

<p>I want to know more about Geneseo, but the web page is pretty hard to navigate around.</p>

<p>What other schools did you get into hp_ddocd?!</p>

<p>If you haven't visited the college campus, make sure you do before you make a commitment. This goes for any college that you are seriously considering. It's very pretty but it's important to see if for yourself and get a feel for the town and the campus.</p>

<p>i have a lot of friends that go there, and i visit on a pretty regular basis, maybe every two weeks. i figured i might as well get my education there as well!</p>

<p>This is the only place I applied to transfer to for the Spring.
When I originally applied to colleges in high school, I applied to a bunch of other places (including Geneseo, too). I got accepted the first time around, and now I'm going there for sure in January! I chose Binghamton--that's where I am now--and it is NOT my cup of tea...</p>

<p>i chose Nazareth, and it was the only school I applied to because i fell in love with the school. When i got here the first week i knew it wasnt a right fit for me. Still waiting for my letter..expected it today but realized there is no mail today. silly me.</p>

<p>im a soph at notre dame and im so excited to be going to geneseo in the spring. i love the environment, the town, the social life, the down-to-earth people, everything. i'm pumped.</p>

<p>I've also applied for Spring 09 as a transfer, and I'm in the same boat. For some reason, every time I set the day(s) aside to trek myself up to Geneseo, something comes up. I'm so clueless about what student life is all about, and without seeing the campus, I have to admit that the hearsay and superficial reputation stuff I hear isn't helping my decision process. I have a few direct questions, to get this conversation going.</p>

<p>I've heard that thurs-sun it's all about greek life. Is this true? I really don't like the greek scene and I have very little interest in pledging, but I get that it's a very rural location so the options aren't vast. I'm not expecting anything crazy. What else is available to entertain the Geneseo folk? I've read about Knightsomething, which is a good alternative on nights when one is not in the mood to go out...Is there a lively party scene somewhere on campus (like a particular dorm or something)? What's the bar scene like? (that sort of stems into my next question)</p>

<p>What's the town like? Is it a strip of small businesses, like New Paltz? Are there interesting attractions that don't require the 45 min drive to Rochester? Is there an outdoor activities club (or something similar? I know I could navigate the horrid website for this info, but maybe someone who knows more could divulge what sort of outings are organized, if at all).</p>

<p>Also, is the grading as harsh as people let on? I've read on various student review websites that grading policies are strict, and good grades are tough if not impossible to attain. Will I bust my ass for only a B? I'm a strong A/A- philosophy student at Fordham U, so perhaps someone could compare the expectations for me. I'm really attracted to Geneseo cause of the high admissions standards and it's promise as a "public ivy," but I'm not a fan of loads of busy work that lead to average grades. </p>

<p>I know that I need to get myself up to Geneseo pronto before the semester begins to wind down, but these kinds of questions have been bouncing around my head all semester. </p>

<p>Oh, and good luck to Spring 09 transfers waiting to hear back! I'm still waiting for the letter myself, though they told me over 2 weeks ago that they were sending it out "in a week or two." Hopefully we'll all be hearing something soon!</p>

<p>Drew</p>

<p>to answer one of your questions, if you want to party, greek life is really your only option, unless you know people with houses or are on a sports team. I love the campus and really hope i can get in!</p>

<p>..and for the last comment. they have told me "within the next two weeks, youll be receiving your letter" for about a month,and the latest was this past tuesday. Im sick of waiting!</p>

<p>Thanks for the feedback, genny.</p>

<p>I got my acceptance letter this past Monday--so hopefully yours is in the mail too! good luck!</p>

<p>drugula, I'm a geneseo student currently bored and putting off studying for my final tomorrow. so to answer your questions:</p>

<ol>
<li>I'm a greek here and yes the greek scene is fairly big. however, it's not your only choice when you want to go out on the weekends. There are a bunch of bars surrounding the campus, many of which remind myself of middle school dances. I personally think the bars are lame but its certainly something a lot of people like to do. If frats or bars aren't your thing but you still feel the need to get dangerously drunk on the weekends you should join a club sport or make friends with someone off campus. I would not recommend drinking in the dorms unless you're super cool with your RA.</li>
</ol>

<p>I think what you were referring to in your previous post was the knight spot, which hosts events of all sorts if drinking isn't your cup of tea. They usually host local bands, dances, etc. There's always something going on at the Union on the weekends as well.</p>

<ol>
<li><p>Around the campus, there basically just one main st. (named main st.) with a bunch of restaurants, pizzerias, and a few bars. It has that quaint village feel with a fountain in the center of the road and the courthouse at the top of the street. A minute drive down 20a takes you to a bunch of fast food places, a wegmans, and a wal-mart. I also do believe there is an outing club where they will gladly fulfill all of your outdoorsy desires.</p></li>
<li><p>As for the workload and grades... it might vary from major to major, but generally students here work hard and professors expect a lot from us. I'm a Political Science and IR double major, and yes I bust my ass in just about every class I'm in. Many times it pays off and I do well, and other times it doesn't. Regardless, I'm glad I feel challenged as it assures me my time and money spent at college was worth while.</p></li>
</ol>

<p>I hope this helps and congrats on your acceptance</p>