Excelsior scholarship

I’m just discovering that there was something that needed to be signed in July for the excelsior scholarship to be awarded! I didn’t know ! I was told by FA the application was was accepted. I contacted the school to advise asap. Any btdt ? Will we not be able to get the money ? I’m distraught.

@sybbie719

Ip must contact school and financial aid office. Because excelsior can only be used for tuition if there is a payout it would go to the school

1 Like

Thank you but we paid already for the fall and a 25% deposit for the spring . Are u saying they might honor the aid even though I didn’t sign in time? I’m now seeing the falland spring are separate and deadline for spring is not until February

I am not saying that at all. Only the school will be able to give you a response.

If you have been awarded a scholarship, it would have been paid to the school and you would have seen the amount offset on your bill.

Excelsior is a last payer (which is applied after tap, pell or any other scholarships). Excelsior can only be used for tuition.

Were you full pay?
Did you receive any financial aid (tap, Pell or tuition scholarships)
Does your child attend CUNY/SUNY?

Thank you yes it’s SUNY. I applied for excelsior in time and received confirmation it was accepted and he was eligible. I did read it’s a “last payer” but after the tap and Stanford there’s still 3500 left of tuition. Excelsior should have covered that remainder. It’s just now I’m discovering that HESC contract required a signature by July. It didn’t say that anywhere. SUNY website says if something didn’t go through we’d be notified. No where did it say OUTSTSNDING ITEM. SUGNATURE REQUIRED Several emails and phone calls back and forth with FA trying to understand why we were paying the bulk of tuition cost and why wasn’t the excelsior he got not being applied. NO ONE at school
Said your signature is still outstanding. We should be reimbursed that 3500 we paid out of pocket if excelsior was supposed to pick it up.

Thanks for replying and trying to help :blush:

By last payer your TAP should have kicked in first,
then 2750 of excelsior ( for the fall term - $5500 total)
Then the loan (2750 (fall term- $5500 total)

Again talk with financial aid officer, not the work study student to find out where you stand or if you can at least get some for the spring.

Did you reach out to HESC? They should be able to tell you how to proceed

1 Like

In June 2022, my daughter got an email with the subject line “Your Action is Required” and the email said:

Dear xxxx,

Your Excelsior Scholarship application requires additional information. For more information, please sign into your HESC Account.

Please contact the Scholarship Unit at excelsior@hesc.ny.gov if you have any questions after you have reviewed the information on HESC’s website.

Is it possible your daughter got this email? Regardless, I would do as sybbie719 suggested and contact HESC and the school’s financial aid office.

2 posts were split to a new thread: Excelsior Scholarship