Exploring possible majors as HS junior

<p>We’re looking at several areas of interest with D2 and a new possible major she’d like to explore is Communicative Disorders/Speech Therapy. Do any of you or your students have experience with this? Anyone majoring in Communicative Disorders at Bama now or graduated from the program and gone on to pursue Speech Therapy? Daughter is exploring some potential majors and career paths and this came up. Any helpful information to share?</p>

<p>I have a Master’s in Speech Language Pathology from UVA. Great degree, wide open as far as employment options, and a highly enjoyable and rewarding profession. I had the option of working part-time and still making great money when my children were younger, and that isn’t true for many professions these days! I ended up going back and getting a teaching degree, and now teach first grade. But I worked as an SLP for 18 years before doing so. I don’t know anything about the program at Alabama, but I’m sure somebody here will. Make sure any graduate program you apply to is accredited by AHSA because it makes licensure requirements much easier.</p>

<p>Thanks, Whitlo. Speech Therapy is one of a few ideas she’s been exploring as she begins this process. I appreciate your input. :slight_smile: I hope your area dodges the snow!</p>

<p>When we were visiting different colleges, all were quick to point out that their department had 100% employment for MS in Speech Pathology. If she wants to be a Speech Pathologist she’ll need a MS degree. As mentioned, lots of different options for work (part-time, full-time, schools, clinical, working w/seniors or young children, etc.) Note, some graduate schools do not require major specifically in CD, but then you will usually have extra classes. We were told at several schools that where you get your BS isn’t as important as where you obtain your MS as long as it’s an accredited program. My D is a junior in CD and she has been very pleased with the program and specifically the professors in her major. She volunteered at the RISE school [Welcome</a> to Rise Tuscaloosa](<a href=“http://riseschool.ua.edu/]Welcome”>http://riseschool.ua.edu/) and it really confirmed her desire to be able to help young children with speech difficulties. This is the type of job where you will develop a relationship w/patients (as opposed to say a dental hygienist where you see the person twice a year for 30 min).</p>

<p>Thanks to both of you for your responses and helpful information.:)</p>

<p>It would be great for your daughter to shadow somebody in the field and get a real feel for the profession. I had my DD shadow extensively in the school where I teach – special ed. classes (especially our autism classes), adaptive PE, PT/OT, and speech. If your DD is more interested in a hospital setting, that would be another option – mine volunteered for a summer at Shepherd Spinal Center here in Atlanta. She is planning on going into PT, and although as a triathlete she had a lot of PT herself I just really wanted to make sure she saw a lot of options and understood the professions she was considering. They do all require a level of commitment and compassion that not everybody is prepared for. I supervise a lot as a teacher and I really want my interns and student teachers to know what they are getting into (both the joys and the irritations!).</p>

<p>Great idea. Thanks!</p>

<p>Because of HIPPA regulations, my D had a difficult time finding places that would allow job shadowing for Speech Pathology. Of course sometimes the therapist can get permission from the patient or parent. Just to let you know that it is possible, but you may have to get several No’s before you find a Yes. I agree with WhitLo, it is definitely worth the effort.</p>

<p>Sorry to come so late to this thread. My daughter is a freshman Communicative Disorders major. She is taking the first two speech classes this semester and LOVES them. She was chosen to assist with a speech research project through Emerging Scholars.
Getting to do this early as a freshman is great. If she found she didn’t like it, she could still easily switch majors without too much difficulty.</p>