External transfer fall 2023

Hello, I am currently a freshman at my local community college. I am aware that in order to be considered a transfer I need a minimum of 24 hours, however I will be applying with 19, and two required courses in progress. I heard that there was an option of getting asked for spring grades. I will be applying with a 3.26GPA for Economics. What are my chances of getting asked for spring grades rather than straight up rejected?

@ChristiR93 can answer your questions

There is a chance but lately I’ve seen half and half on this. Just don’t be surprised if get straight rejection. 19 hours and average gpa for Econ isn’t a strong portfolio even if all required courses were complete. Make sure you really put in the time and effort in spring grades.

As for application, you’ll need a strong essay as to why Tamu, why applying early without the requirements being met and why Econ. Might be best if you go and speak with Econ advisor and get their perspective as well as use that as a “hey I’m really interested” marker!

Please keep us posted.

3 Likes

Is there any chance you could help me? What should I say to the econ advisors, and how would I contact them. I am confident that I will do really good next semester, so I believe that if I get asked for spring grades I have good chances of getting in. My GPA was supposed to be 3.5 last semester but unfortunately two of my professors didn’t round me up from an 89.5 to a 90. Should I mention this on the statement of purpose, or would it sound bad?

Hey there… those 89.5 grades are so hard. What I told my own kiddos is that there will be plenty of 90.000s that’ll make up for them.

I would not mentioned them. It’ll sound like an excuse and probably won’t look good for you. You could say something like… while I knew I couldn’t get an A in “name class”, I am proud that I still worked hard and got a “%” on the final that pulled me to the highest B possible. Say what you learned from that and how it will benefit you going forward.
This is the only way I would bring this up in your statement of purpose.

Feel free to message me. Happy to help you and look over your essay before submission.

1 Like

Hey, so I got advised by the head of the Economics department to talk directly to the school of Arts & Sciences, since they are the ones that handle directly the admissions process. I talked to one of the heads of the department, and she told me that as long as I have a GPA higher than a 3.0, I should be fine. I certainly trust her word, however should I be 100% confident?

And she was aware that you only have 19 completed hours and 2 required courses in progress? If that’s the case, then I would be surprised she gave you that information but maybe they are getting more lenient on the requirements.

Keep me posted please. Hoping it all works out in your favor.

Hey christi, so today I got my decision leter and it says “Transfer Deny”. It says that I have been automatically denied because I don’t have the required requirements(19 hours). However it does say that I can send my transcript with spring grades by June 1st. I knew this was going to happen however I felt like I had a chance of getting asked for spring grades. Should I still send in my transcript? As of now I have a 4.0, and hopefully I can keep it till the semester ends. Do you think my chances are low now? Thank you.

Does it mean I was deferred?***

Yes. Send in the transcript. Worst case you get denied. Best case you get accepted. No way to lose on this. And keep that 4.0!!!

Thank you for your response! I really wasn’t sure if I was deferred and I am now realizing how lucky I am for this opportunity!

1 Like