FAFSA and admissions

As 10/1 approaches, the FAFSA question rears its ugly head again. Each year I waste my time filling out the FAFSA for my DS and it spits back an expected family contribution that would cover several kids at VT. This year I have a high school senior who will be attending SOME college next year but again, the EFC is more than 4x the total cost of VT or any other state school. So I keep asking myself why I waste my time and energy.

Does anyone know if filling out the FAFSA makes any kind of impression at all on admissions, either positive or negative? Does skipping it entirely make any difference? What about folks who have done the prepaid programs for all their children and have no need…should they bother?

It is my understanding that FAFSA is required for merit scholarships, grants, and loans. We are in a similar situation, and I do agree that you wonder if it’s worth it.

I’m not sure if VT is need blind, that’s a question for admissions. I got plenty of scholarships without ever filling out FAFSA and frankly most people I knew had some sort of financial aid, I dont think it’s a big deal either way.

FAFSA is normally not required for admissions, but it is required for some (most?) forms of financial aid, but not all. E.g., I’m on a scholarship granting committee; we do not require FAFSA, but we require a federal tax return. Some scholarships (e.g., private, community) require no financial documentation whatsoever.