FAFSA dependent questions

I am 26 years old trying to enroll at a college for the first time. My mother does not live in the country and my boyfriend claimed me as a dependent this tax year because we had a baby and I’m the primary caregiver of the baby. How do I go about filling my fafsa? I am independent based on my age but I don’t know what to put down for income or filling status. Please help.

@kelsmom will know for sure.

I answered the income & filing questions on another thread. I’ll add here that your child is not considered your dependent for FAFSA purposes because you don’t provide more than half the child’s support.

From the Federal Student Aid Handbook:
Student’s household size (93). The following persons are included in the household size of an independent student:
The student and his or her spouse, unless the spouse has died or is not living in the household due to separation or divorce.
The student’s children, regardless of where they live, if they will receive more than half of their support from the student (and spouse) from July 1, 2022, through June 30, 2023. This includes the student’s unborn children who will be born during the award year and will receive more than half their support from the student from birth to the end of the award year.
Other persons who live with and receive more than half their support from the student and will receive more than half support for the entire award year.

If your partner is supporting you & your child, you won’t claim any dependents (household size is 1, you). If you were married, you would include your partner and child in your household child, though.