Fafsa (efc)

<p>Just wondering when to fill out FAFSA in the admission process and how generous has UA been in the past?</p>

<p>I believe January 1st is when you can fill out the 2011 FAFSA. You’ll have to estimate income however, since you won’t get W-2’s back until end of January. Not sure about UA’s financial aid, although their merit aid is very generous.</p>

<p>You need to fill out FAFSA after Jan 1st of senior year. You need to it as soon as possible after that date because certain aid is “first come, first serve.”</p>

<p>Do you know what your likely EFC is?</p>

<p>What state are you in? </p>

<p>Your child a junior, right?</p>

<p>*Right now he is a Junior and on the 3.5 GPA bubble. He finished his first quarter with a 3.8 average and going strong. Unfortunatelly (depends how you look at it), he took a lot of honors classes his first two years and it kinda cost him a surefire higher GPA, instead he endured many more B’s than he would have if he took non-Honors (his reasoning, not mine : )). So this year, he figured he would take regular courses so he could boost his overall GPA. So basically, he’s looking at finishing strong this year but what’s trouling him is if he finishes just short of the 3.5 GPA needed, could the senior mid-grade help push him over the top? I think from seeing the different posts here, the answer is keep working hard and send the transcripts in in his senior year, there is nothing to lose and much to gain. [/I</p>

<p>Bama is very generous with merit based aid. Since your child is a junior with a "near 3.5 GPA), he needs to finish strong this year. Very important.</p>

<p>What are his test scores.</p>

<p>As for need-based aid…</p>

<p>Bama (like most publics, except for UNC-CH and UVA) cannot promise to “meet neet”. That’s why it’s important to file FAFSA as early as you can after Jan 1 of your child’s senior year. Certain aid is limited.</p>

<p>(I’m not sure, but from what I understand, schools don’t process FA until FAFSA numbers have been finalized with real numbers. Others can correct me if I’m wrong. But, if that’s true, it’s ok to begin after Jan 1st, but quickly put in real numbers from W-2s as soon as you can and finalize your FAFSA.)</p>

<p>Mom: We live in Alabama. No clue what EFC is but I’m in upper middle income bracket. His last ACT was 24 composite but he is retaking it.</p>

<p>To get an idea of what your EFC is…</p>

<p>Quick EFC - this is a rough estimate<br>
[FinAid</a> | Calculators | QuickEFC](<a href=“Your Guide for College Financial Aid - Finaid”>Quick EFC - Finaid) </p>

<p>(It’s probably higher then you think it’s going to be. :frowning: )</p>

<p>Since your son is a junior, I would suggest that he also take the SAT as well.</p>

<p>It’s easier (I think) to get scholarships with the SAT since they only count M+CR. </p>

<p>Anyway…since some kids do better on the SAT, I’d have him take both.</p>