FAFSA Question - there has to be a mistake, right?

Here are the regulations, straight from the 2023-24 Federal Student Aid Handbook. While changes made by requesting paperwork from the FAFSA Helpline is technically compliant with regulations (although this is the first year I have heard that it has been allowed), this will not mean that it’s the end … every school will at some point request the documentation described in the regulations. A tax transcript will not be required DUE TO updating FAFSA manually…but any other changes to items transferred through the DRT besides the rollover will result in the schools requiring the tax transcript. And of course, anyone who was selected for verification will have to complete verification, submitting all documents required for the verification. Here’s the section from the 23-24 FSA Handbook:

RS Data Retrieval Tool: Of course, the FAFSA-IRS Data Retrieval Tool cannot know if the word “Rollover” was included on the tax return. Therefore, it assumes that the total difference between the distribution reported on line 15a or 16a, and the taxable portion on line 15b or 16b is untaxed income for EFC purposes, and that amount will be transferred from the FAFSA-IRS Data Retrieval Tool into the FAFSA as untaxed income for IRA distributions or pension distributions.

The FAFSA applicant, the applicant’s parent, or the institution may modify the amount that the FAFSA-IRS Data Retrieval Tool transferred into the FAFSA, if all or a portion of that amount should not be included as untaxed income because of a rollover. To support such a change, the institution must maintain documentation (see below) that the amount not included in the FAFSA was an amount that was the result of a rollover.

Beginning with the 2018-2019 FAFSA processing year, if the applicant or the applicant’s parent indicate that the amount transferred from the IRS into the FAFSA for the IRA distributions field or pension distributions field includes a rollover, he/she will be required to provide the amount of the rollover in a new entry field. Our system will then subtract the reported rollover amount from the amount of the IRA or pension distribution that was transferred from the IRS, and the result will be used in the calculation of the applicant’s EFC.

Verification Requirements: Since neither the information from the FAFSA-IRS Data Retrieval Tool nor an IRS Tax Return Transcript will include the tax filer’s “Rollover” notation, to verify the amounts that should be included on the FAFSA, the institution must obtain a written statement from the tax filer indicating the amount of the distribution that was excluded because it was an authorized IRS rollover. Acceptable documentation could be a signed statement from the tax filer. Acceptable documentation could also be a notation by the tax filer on the IRS Tax Return Transcript that includes the word “Rollover” beside the applicable item(s) on the transcript, similar to the instructions provided for the IRS Form 1040 or 1040A. If the institution accepts as documentation of the rollover a notation on the IRS Tax Return Transcript, it must ensure that the notation is signed and dated by the tax filer.

If the IRA or pension distributions were the only tax information that was changed for tax filers who used the IRS DRT, an institution should accept from the tax filer a signed statement confirming that the IRA or pension distributions included a rollover. A tax transcript would only be necessary if other IRS tax information was changed. [Guidance issued 05/04/2012; revised 12/08/2017]

1 Like

Just providing an update! Received an email from FAFSA that we had an update. Happy to report it is fixed!!!

Now, since that time we received a packet in the mail from one of the schools my DD got into with the financial breakdown. Do I reach out to that school? @phemrajani Did you reach out to the schools anyway?

2 Likes

@bxgirl when you reached out to the schools with the new information, did they already have it?

@cgemaj

Does this college you got the aid package from meet full need for all? And if so…was there package reflective of your corrected FAFSA form? Does the college use the CSS Profile?

1 Like

Doesn’t use css and sadly I’m not even sure if it is a meets full need school. We wouldn’t qualify anyway so not even sure it’s worth stressing over contacting the schools.

Oh and I can only think this school didn’t receive the corrections. We got the packet 3 days before we got the notification from FAFSA that they corrected it.

I would 100% definitely reach out to the school. No harm in checking. I reached out to several schools and they all had received my new FAFSA info, but they were all regular decision with March/April notifications and likely hadn’t even cracked open my daughter’s app yet. If you are unsure, definitely call.

I’d contact the schools because even if they did receive the correction it might not trigger a review. The schools get correction updates all the time, if another school makes a correction, for non financial info, etc. Sometimes it just updates the system but no human looks at them.

Let them know you are out there!

Have few questions:
1.Does FAFSA affect decision?
We submitted FAFSA as counselor told it is required for merit scholarships

1. We have submitted only FAFSA not CSS Profile. Is it okay not to submit CSS Profile? will it affect decisions in any way?

If you don’t submit a CSS, it might affect the amount of financial aid you receive. If you aren’t applying for financial aid, then I don’t think it matters. Also, only certain schools require the CSS. Here is the list. CSS Profile Participating Institutions and Programs

If a school requires CSS then you have to submit it. If they don’t, then you don’t (and shouldn’t).

1 Like

I only reached to one school, others told me they will not start until late Jan/December. My son got into Caltech in REA process which uses CSS profile so now FAFSA correction has no impact as he is going to school which uses CSS. We knew we will not get any financial aid but I did not want my life savings to show as income on FAFSA.

1 Like

I have another issue : some college corrected the SAR and has the again added my 401k. How do I find out which college it is ?

There are totally 3 colleges who did update - the 2 numbers are close but the third one is very high. Now I don’t know who it is. I have already backed out some of application but probably the financial aid department cannot see that I have backed out my application.

3 colleges? Call the financial aid department at each one and ask.

4 Likes