Failed summer courses [current college student, pre-dental]

Hi, so I took summer courses (organic chemistry) at another college this summer and failed the course. If i decide to take the course there again, will I need to submit the transcript of the failing and new grades, or can I choose what to submit to my college to see.

Are you a college student planning to apply to medical school or any other grad program…or even another undergrad program?

Which is it?

You will be required to submit both transcripts.

1 Like

Adding that the National Student Clearinghouse has all records of student enrollment at any college, which colleges (and grad schools/med schools) do verify. So you do need to submit all transcripts from all institutions that you have attended when you apply to college/transfer colleges and/or grad school.

Obviously you will have to take the course again. Before deciding where to take it, you should check how the college you took it at handles repeating a class…some transcripts would show both grades, some allow grade replacing.

Can you tell us a bit more about your background? Are you currently a university student? Which year? Are you a premed student?

Organic Chemistry is a notoriously difficult premed class at most colleges and universities. Premed classes in general are frequently very difficult.

Why did you fail the course ?

Was it due to something beyond your control ?

If so, petition the school to try to change the failing grade to audit so that your transcript will not show any grade.

I am a pre-dental student in the junior year at a 4-year university and took this course at another college during the summer term right before junior year. I failed due to having personal issues and not being able to keep up with everything going on. Yes, I am planning to go to dental school. So what I’m getting is that I’ll have to submit the transcript with the failed grades from the school I took the summer courses in, to the dental schools alongside my transcript from my four year university? It was pass the add/drop time which was like 1 day into the summer course and life started getting bad along with me failing the first two exams which basically I knew I was going to fail- so I just stopped going to class.

That’s unfortunate, you should have spoken with a counselor at the school. Yes, you do have to report this F to dental schools, have you spoken with your pre-health advisor at your current school about this?

So game plan…talk with your current pre-health advisor for guidance/strategy, and contact the school where you took the summer class to see options for the summer school class…eg. if you retake there will they replace the grade? The audit idea is a good one, if they let you choose that at this point in the process, which is unlikely. Also if you were having issues that rise to the level of medical withdrawal, that sometimes can be changed after the fact, but you will have a W on the transcript (which is generally easier to deal with than an F).

Good luck and keep us updated.

1 Like

I do suggest that you contact the school department chair and share the details of your situation, then ask what options you have. (I would start with the dept. chair or your instructor/professor for the course rather than the registrar, but those are the options.)