Failed to report a college class I took during HS

Hello, my brother was denied at UCI, UCSD, and UCLA. Not even waitlisted and he was valedictorian with a 4.27 gpa #1 in his class. I thought it was strange he didn’t even get a waitlist so I looked at his UC app, and noticed he reported his college calculus class. He reported it as a summer session hs class and not as a college summer course. Could this mistake have contributed to him getting rejected ? From my understanding a college class A is weighed as a AP course so this mistake lowered his gpa and also it now says he didn’t attend college when in HS. Which could’ve showed how hard he worked.

Do we have a case to appeal ? I’m not sure what the right step is. If it’s to call admissions or file a appeal. Thanks for any insight provided.

1 Like

Each UC had their own appeal process and a mistake made by the applicant is not usually a good basis for an appeal. One extra Honors point for the UC GPA will also not tip the scales. The class was reported however not in the proper section. The burden of proof is on the applicant to show that they are a stronger applicant than what is originally reported on their UC application.

For your brother’s piece of mind, if he feels strongly, he can send in an appeal. Also GPA is only 1 of 13 areas of criteria used in the UC application review.

What major did he apply at the UC’s and did he give you permission to post your question on this site?

https://www.admissions.uci.edu/apply/how-to-apply/application-faq/appeals.php

1 Like

As I don’t know the answer to this, I’m closing the thread. He really needs to ask questions using his own account. We don’t generally allow “asking for a friend” posts and @Gumbymom gave the definitive answer.

1 Like