Failing pre calc as a senior

Hi! I am currently a senior in HS and I am failing my Pre Calculus class. I started well in the class for the first 5 weeks then it started slipping slowly until I failed our first test.(I had gotten 9-10/10 on my quizzes which turned into 7/10s until I ultimately failed my test).

I need 3 years of math at my school to graduate. I took Algebra 2 over the summer (might be my reason for my struggle) so it does not count towards my graduation status (only for college apps). I am not sure what to do.

I have done all assigned homework, get practice problems from videos on YouTube, ask questions in class, and recently an online tutoring service provided by our school (did not help on my recent quiz). I have talked to my teacher about what I can do moving forward and all I can do is do better on our next test. Even if I get a 100 on our next test the best I can get is a D- I believe. Should I ask about extra credit (even though she does not do it), should I go back to Algebra 2, or what?

My current course load is: AP Lit, Biotechnology 2, AP Psychology, leadership, CP econ, pre calc, and CP physics.
I took 8 course moly other years in HS so I thought I could handle 7 as a senior, right now it is not looking so good I suppose

You need to talk to your high school counselor asap.

5 Likes

Pre calc is the 4th year so the question may be, while the summer class doesn’t count grade wise, is it the third year of math ?

You say it doesn’t but it may be a state thing and you may be ok graduation wise. Or perhaps they can get you into standard math and certainly next semester.

It may have been too quick like you said.

Guidance counselors should be able to help create a path toward graduation for you.

Good luck.

You need to see your school guidance counselor tomorrow! The most important thing is you must have the courses you need to graduate. The school counselor should be able to give you some guidance here. Part of their job is to make sure their students have what they need to graduate. So…get there tomorrow. Work this out.

2 Likes

Hello! Thank you for your reply. I am going to try and work this out with the staff at my school. My counselor is out for the semester due to medical leave. We only have our college/career advisor, do you think that I should reach out to them?

Hello, thank you so much for your input. I will try and find someone tomorrow to work this out. My counselor is out for the semester due to medical leave, so I have been in a bit of a sticky situation. I will check who I can talk to this about.

1 Like

There has to be someone at your school - this counselor, a teacher, the principal, etc. who can guide you - yes. You may want to have your parents involved…yes.

Someone should be able to guide you - and if not, go see the principal.

As a high school teacher, I feel that the students who ask me “what can I do to improve” are in two groups - one wants to improve their learning to master the content, and the other wants to have a better grade on their report card. I have different approaches for each group. When you talk to your pre-cal teacher, please tell them clearly your goal. If you took Algebra II in summer school, it’s likely that you passed it without firmly master it, which would lead to difficulty in pre-cal. In that case you need a tutor and the goal of tutoring is to master Algebra II, not just complete assignments. I hate to say this but my experience is that (in our state public schools) passing a class and possessing the skills are two different things.

1 Like

Hi thank you so much for your teacher POV. I really want to understand the concept since I plan to go into science and there is a lot of math involved. However it seems like my new goal is to get a better grade in the class for the report card.

I am currently working on college applications and I am not sure if I can even consider doing them since there is a chance I won’t even be able to graduate.

I am going to start getting help from my teacher twice a week during lunch and peer tutoring twice a week during study hall(I had been doing it every so often in the past).

1 Like