failure to get the IB diploma

<p>I was a IB diploma candidate but by lacking one point on one of my HLs, I have failed to receive the IB diploma. I will be attending University of Rochester and people have been telling me that US universities only use your IB scores to award college credits, unlike European schools. Will my admission be potentially jeopardized due to my failure to get the IB diploma or should I not be worried about it?</p>

<p>Well if it helps, I was working on my own university applications and I was in the exact same situation as you a few years ago. I was predicted a 37, but ended up with like a 27 or so if my memory serves correctly (it just feels so long ago now). I can personally say what you heard is true to a great extent - it depends on your school and the type of offer you were given. </p>

<p>If your school is extremely competitive, or if you lack the same quality of recommendation letters, or if you didn’t even do that well in your mock exams, then the offer you receive might be more dependent on your final grades. However, despite my drop I was given the chance to go to UW - a very great school in the USA by all rankings. Either way, you should be emailing to your school admissions officer and international student services officer (equivalents) what happened, asap. Give them a call too, and if they have any forms for you to fill out, do that. The earlier you can explain (and the more prepared you sound in your email/call), the higher chance you will have.</p>

<p>Also, don’t try to make up some weird story about what dragged your points down. They deal with thousands of students every year, anything you can come up with - they’ve probably dealt with before.</p>

<p>Thanks for your reply. My school is indeed extremely competitive and is ranked as one of the 25 New Ivy League schools, enough said. As you know, most US colleges do not offer conditional acceptances unlike European schools so once you get accepted, it’s most likely going to stay that way unless there was a tremendous change about you. Mine was not a conditional offer and it was definite. I also called the admissions office a while ago and asked them if it could potentially jeopardize my acceptance, but they said “most likely not.” I just want some reassurance. Plus, my high school was an international American school that gave grades and high school diplomas regardless of IB. Should I wait until the school contacts me? I don’t want to unnecessarily contact them and make a fuss about it.</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>US schools will use SAT II, AP, AICE, Cambridge, IB, CLEP, among other exams, to award credit.</p>

<p>oh yeah, I know that. What I meant is IB scores are only used for college credits and do not affect your admission decision.</p>