Fair warning

<p>To all applying freshman---think twice (or three times) before coming to Salve; you really want to assess your finances and career goals. </p>

<p>Most freshman (who transfer; between 30-40% of each incoming class transfers out by the end of freshmen year) say they felt "tricked" by the campus and the way admissions here exploits the beauty of Newport to sucker people in. </p>

<p>Granted, it is very beautiful: in summer. But you're not at school in summer. For all of the school year, maybe the first and last months only have the beautiful beach weather tourists flock here for. The other 7 months? Rain, sleet, cloudy, and with most businesses shut down because all the tourists leave. The year-round population in the vicinity of campus tend to be wealthy older people who don't want noise, or the mansions that are locked up and empty once tourist season is over. </p>

<p>Salve outright lies about clubs and courses offered in the materials they hand out---most of the ones included (ones that I was very excited to particpate in myself as a freshman) either haven't existed for years, are dependent on available funding or faculty, or only come around maybe once in your entire Salve career. </p>

<p>So when it's 30 degrees outside with ocean wind shaking your dorm and all the tourist-oriented clubs, shops, and events are shut down--meaning you can't even get a job, either? Good luck finding something to do. Since my freshman year, funding for weekend trips (to NYC, etc) has seriously dropped off. Not to mention the fact that almost the entire campus shuts down on weekends---only the cafeteria and the library are open for about half a day, and that's it. Most students check out after their last class of the week and head to other campuses or nearby major cities. You know it's bad when 20-year olds can have more fun at their childhood suburban home than at school on the weekends. </p>

<p>In addition to this, majors across the board are mediocre and have little respect in the academic community---the narrowly-focused programs with only basic topics are a mark against you on any graduate application if you're looking to go into that. The average student IQ is about room temperature even in the honors program (which tries pitifully hard to promote 'excellence').</p>

<p>So to all incoming freshmen: do you really want to be put into serious debt when the average state school, while not as aesthetically beautiful, has better classes, faculty, activities, opportunities, and student body--at maybe 30% of the price? Do yourself a favor and look elsewhere. I deeply regret my decision and now it's too late.</p>

<p>Anyone else want to chime in on this?? Agree or disagree?</p>

<p>I’ve heard this opinion on this and several other forums as well.</p>

<p>I truly disagree, as a student at Salve I have never felt “lied” too. I have always been told the truth and felt that everyone I have spoke to has truly cared for me and my education here. Also almost everything down town stays open during the winter they just decrease the amount of hours they are open. Also it is absolutely beautiful in the fall and spring. I was in shorts all the way till the end of October and would take walks along the beach almost every week. Do not led other people decide for you, come see Salve both during the winter and the spring or fall and truly get a feel for the campus. Good Luck to eveyone out there looking for schools. Don’t forget everything happens for a reason.</p>