Fairy Lights

<p>Hi! I will be attending UA in the fall and I know I will want twinkle/fairy lights to decorate my dorm with, and figured it would be easier to get them now since all the Christmas decorations are out. I was wondering how many I should get? I think the strands come in 50,100,200… Any suggestions? Should I get a certain bulb shape? If there are any other popular dorm decorations/suggestions that would be easier/cheaper to get now, I would love to hear about them! Thanks!</p>

<p>Buy a package and open them up and see how many you’d need in your own bedroom for what you have in mind. </p>

<p>Will you be sharing a dormroom?</p>

<p>I will hopefully be living in Blount or Burke, so I will have a sharing. =)</p>

<p>You need to look at the actual lengths of the strings. Buy a 100 light or 200 light pack, open it up and place it in your own bedroom to get a feel for how much you’d want. Be mindful that your roommate may not want them on her side of the room…and she may want to limit when they’re on.</p>

<p>Look for ones with white wire versus the green. They look nicer up against the light colored walls.</p>

<p>How do you plan on hanging them? You can’t put holes in the walls.</p>

<p>Command hooks would work!</p>

<p>Command hooks aren’t allowed in some halls…don’t know if they’re allowed in Blount.</p>

<p>Command hooks are allowed and work well in Burke!</p>

<p>Here’s where Command Strips are allowed and not allowed.</p>

<p>They’re not allowed in Blount.</p>

<p><a href=“http://housing.ua.edu/pdfs/settling-in.pdf[/url]”>http://housing.ua.edu/pdfs/settling-in.pdf&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;

<p>Bookmarked that page, thanks! ^</p>

<p>I like hanging lights in my classroom. I use a small set of hooks that adhere to the wall with a small piece of wax. They stick well and can be repositioned easily. I usually find them at at the teacher supply store.</p>

<p>I live in Blount and I have a ton of Command Strips on my walls. We’ve had two room checks already and the RA has never said anything to me regarding them, so you’ll be fine. They really liven up a dorm room so much!!</p>

<p>Sunshine…just because YOUR RA hasn’t said anything does NOT mean:</p>

<p>1) you won’t get penalized next Spring after check-out</p>

<p>2) that THIS student’s RA will overlook the Strips.</p>

<p>3) that the use of the strips won’t damage the paint…which is what’s been happening.</p>

<p>Be very careful telling others that “they’ll be fine” when you really don’t know. The “jury is still out” in your case, and all RA’s aren’t the same.</p>

<p>I plan to drape them around/off of the bed. I’ll figure out how to hang them when I know more details about where I’ll be staying. I think the lights will make the dorm rooms look less like a jail cell and more like home. I’ll make sure to get the white wired ones. =)</p>