Fall 2010 Admissions Data Thus Far

<p>I was really surprised by a lot of the rejections going on this year, and no offense but a lot of the acceptances really caught me off guard as well. Because of this, I took like 30 mins and went through the entire "Fall 2010 Acceptances and Decisons Thread" thread and recorded EVERYONE who has a decision (either "Admit" or "postpone/reject") and tabulated their GPA and ACT scores (didn't bother with SAT because only like 7 kids took it). Yes, I'm really bored and the result wasn't even that spectacular or anything. </p>

<p>But, according to people in the Decisions thread only, here are the statistics thus far:</p>

<p>Decisions: 59
Total Admits: 41
Total Rejects/Postponed: 18
Acceptance Rate: 69.4%</p>

<p>ENTIRE APPLICANT POOL
Average GPA: 3.651
Middle 50% GPA: 3.50-3.88
Average ACT: 30.5
Middle 50% ACT: 28-33</p>

<p>ACCEPTED KIDS
Average GPA: 3.699
Middle 50% GPA: 3.575-3.90
Average ACT: 30.4
Middle 50% ACT: 28-33</p>

<p>REJECTED/POSTPONED KIDS
Average GPA: 3.55
Middle 50% GPA: 3.50-3.765
Average ACT: 30.17
Middle 50% ACT: 28.5-32.5</p>

<p>So what I noticed is that the average GPA and ACT scores between admitted applicants and rejected applicants are for the most part, the same. I'd expect that this means that they ARE really looking beyond the numbers?</p>

<p>Anyone have any opinions on this?</p>

<p>You really do need second semester to start, don’t you…Tuesday is coming. Thanks for info. Considering the numbers of UW applicants this is a far too small sample to judge the overall admissions picture. All that can be said is “of the small fraction who post on CC…” these are the stats.</p>

<p>This is incredibly biased since probably only the top ~5% of applicants are posting on here, but nonetheless, the fact that even in this sample the 25th percentile for ACT is 28.5 is unbelievable.</p>

<p>That’s higher than Stanford’s. Schnikeees</p>

<p>The results posted have no statistical significance- they are merely for fun. Sounds like a bored at the end of winter break UW student played with numbers. Wait for official data from thousands of applicants for any meaningful numbers. Most UW students/applicants don’t bother with CC.</p>

<p>^ Do you think the actual data will be lower than what we have here? Because what we have here is making me feel a lot less bad about not getting in…</p>

<p>Keep in mind that posters on CC tend to be extremely overqualified. :)</p>

<p>If this data were to mean anything it should be compared to the 2009 Decisions Thread statistics.</p>

<p>Consider CC like gazing into a crystal ball- the fortune teller may try to show you what you hope to see, or at least that is what college hopefuls are fishing for. Statistics are meaningless for any one individual- you are either in or not, no partial results. You can try and see if you become one of the mean/median determining accepted student data points. One way to keep the stats high is for students to be scared by them and not apply unless they meet or exceed the top percentile. Remember that half of the students need to be below the median.</p>

<p>Not going to lie, but this data is probably a good reflection of what the actual admissions standards are this year. If what I’ve been hearing from kids at various schools in my area is the same elsewhere, I would not be surprised if the average ACT was 30 or even higher. The only kids I’ve talked to in person that have got in with a less than 30 were URM’s. Both Madison and the U of Minn are shooting up in selectivity.</p>

<p>My son is OOS and accepted with ACT 29 and fits well with the data posted here. I think they did look beyond the ACT ie. at leadership/essay/AP classes, etc. He attends a top rated high school.</p>

<p>The posters on CC are way above average in stats.</p>

<p>The things that probably got them rejected were their ECs, recs, and statements.</p>