Fall 2011 Applicants - Any Decisions Yet?

<p>The state of Illinois always gets shafted when it comes to Wisconsin. </p>

<hr>

<p>UncannyCrayon - why do you say that Illinois residents get shafted?</p>

<p>That last bit was a joke.
I was merely referring to some Wisconsin residents and their disdain for Illinoisans because we are common tourists there, and the interstate sports rivalries.</p>

<p>It’s really harmless and there are no implications as far as college goes.</p>

<p>D Accepted!
Soar status changed/2 days later “Congratulations”
OOS: California
Sat:2120
GPA: 4.0 U.W.
Rank 10/740
Lots of EC’s, etc…</p>

<p>S is currently a Badger! Lived in Liz Waters for 2 years. Good Experience!</p>

<p>Just wondering… in the online application, is there really no space to list down extra-curricular activities? Where do I put them then?</p>

<p>I am checking my online profile and it says that all of my materials were submitted on 11-2. This is not true, as i have a 10-31 dated email from uwisc saying that all my materials were sent in. Does this mean that i will be in the later group of applicants even though i submitted on time?</p>

<p>I tried to look back but I couldn’t really tell: what’s the general consensus about the SOAR registration. If you were postponed what has it changed to? and if you were admitted, what has it changed to?</p>

<p>wetnoodle, i believe it’s rather deceptive, because the SOAR message gives the same message for postponed as well as accepted candidates…says something about your “admitted term” even if you’re not officially admitted…dogsrthebest had the Soar message for her D only to be disappointed…has your SOAR message changed at all over the holiday weekend? I think you and my D are similar that both of you had status message change around the same time (the Wednes. before thxgiving) and both of you have Emily as the counselor. am i correct???</p>

<p>Um so I’m from Missouri and submitted my application in the middle of September. For the past 4 weeks or so it’s said that my application is being reviewed, when do you think they’ll be done? I literally check like every day. My stats are: 34 ACT, 3.7 weighted GPA (upward grade trend straight As last year), and lots and lots of good ECs. What do you guys think is holding them up on accepting or denying me?</p>

<p>@mikey192
They go through tons of applications and have many different admissions counselors, which means many different things go in to the timing.</p>

<p>That is why they say you’ll get your decision by mid January.
My stats are very similar to yours (including out of state status) and I have yet to receive a decision.</p>

<p>Right now it appears as if they are letting in the “definites”. But this is just speculation.</p>

<p>Yes, that’s exactly right, but no, my status hasn’t changed ;/ has your sons’?</p>

<p>I don’t think they like 34 ACTs because I haven’t been accepted yet either</p>

<p>Turkey and stuffing must be invigorating NJ-designated adcoms; son’s message has changed to the last-stage “under review” one, No SOAR change. Since his test scores were late it shows he made it under the 11/01 date (so those of you with post marked rec letters and such, they don’t seem so uber strict. It’s his biggest reach (“hail Mary”) application…as it seems like they’re not rejecting, I foresee the nether-land of deferrals for him (or what ever euphemism they’re using) Congrats to all the happy kids and Folks!!!</p>

<p>Is it true that they take only a certain number of students from each high school?</p>

<p>That’s a myth, read more here:</p>

<p>[Getting</a> in: The not-so-secret admissions process](<a href=“http://www.news.wisc.edu/admissions/index.html]Getting”>http://www.news.wisc.edu/admissions/index.html)</p>

<p>Getting in: The not-so-secret admissions process</p>

<p>Myth: UW-Madison caps the number of students who can be admitted from one high school.</p>

<p>There is no shred of truth to this rumor, which stubbornly persists in some of the UW’s largest feeder schools. It’s so widely believed that Reason was asked by the UW Board of Regents to defend the policy at a meeting last year. “It’s just absolutely false,” he says. “Why would we do something like that?”</p>

<p>For one thing, UW-Madison’s rolling-decision setup would make quotas logistically difficult. If the university could admit only fifty students from, say, Madison’s West High School (often the top high school in terms of the number of students who apply to UW-Madison), what might happen if it hit that mark in November? Anyone applying after that date — even the school’s top scholars — would have to be turned down.</p>

<p>As it is, 110 of the 184 students who applied from Madison West in 2007 were admitted, a 60 percent acceptance rate that exceeded the overall average by four percentage points.</p>

<p>Thank-you for that information Madison85. Many people keep telling me there is a quota which did not make sense. Keeping our fingers crossed. My son has not heard yet. :)</p>

<p>okay I am freaking out, just got this message: The SOAR Program is not currently accepting reservations for your admit term. More information about the SOAR Program and the reservation process can be found at [Center</a> for the First-Year Experience](<a href=“http://www.newstudent.wisc.edu%5DCenter”>http://www.newstudent.wisc.edu). If you believe you have received this message in error please contact the SOAR Information line at 608-262-4707 or e-mail your questions to <a href=“mailto:soar@studentlife.wisc.edu”>soar@studentlife.wisc.edu</a>.</p>

<p>so this is the same message people have been getting if they’re postponed or admitted? It is such a tease with the “your admit term” (as spitfire mentioned before). Wednesday is either going to suck-looking at the scores of cc contributors who’ve gotten postponed, it probably will- or be really good. obviously hoping for the latter.</p>

<p>congrats on at least being that much closer to a decision and hopefully it’s the acceptance…can’t wait to see your post on Wednes…good luck…your posting made me check my d’s status, but her SOAR is still the same…at least thru you, i have faith that Emily is moving along with folders</p>

<p>Yes Wetnoodle, that is the same message whether you get accepted or postponed. My D was postponed and that was the message she got and is still getting one week later even after receiving a letter in the mail that her application decision has been postponed. When this is all said and done, regardless of the outcome, I am going to write a letter to the University giving them a few suggestions about their website. I think it is very misleading and unfair that they chose the wording they did on the SOAR message.</p>

<p>dogsrthebest what did your daughters application status say when she found out she got postponed? did she find out online or by the letter she got in the mail?</p>

<p>has anyone heard from NC?</p>