Fall 2011 Common Data Set for UA Students released

<p><a href=“http://oira.ua.edu/d/sites/all/files/reports12/1112_cds.pdf[/url]”>http://oira.ua.edu/d/sites/all/files/reports12/1112_cds.pdf</a></p>

<p>Notice on page 6, the percentage of applicants granted admission to UA is now less than 44 % as of last Fall. </p>

<p>Also, on page 15, notice that the percentage of OOS students has greatly increased as of last Fall. While the percentage of OOS undergrads is only 34.9% across the entire undergrad student population, the percentage of OOS among last Fall’s class was 49.6%, and that does not include international students. In four or so years, UA will likely have an overall undergrad population that is majority OOS. This will have a very positive impact on the state of Alabama IMO.</p>

<p>Total Scholarships/Grants Awarded (excluding athletic aid and tuition waivers): $100,335,039.</p>

<p>Total Athletic Awards: $9,934,399.</p>

<p>Percentage of undergraduate men who join fraternities: 22.1%
Percentage of undergraduate women who join sororities: 32.7%
Percentage of undergraduate men who wish they could join sororities: 96.7%*</p>

<p>Percentage of incoming frosh with high school GPA 3.75 or higher: 38%
Percentage of incoming frosh who graduated in the top 10th of their class: 42.7%</p>

<p>*Just seeing if you’re paying attention. :)</p>

<p>Thanks for posting the link, Atlanta. Roll Tide.</p>

<p>I thought the stat regarding GPA on a 4.0 scale was interesting since it was my understanding that UA doesn’t recalculate the weighted GPAs for admission and/or scholarship purposes. </p>

<p>Malanai, I must tell you that, sadly, HI was not represented in this BB session, at least among the parents. Though the wonderful speaker we had this morning has enjoyed recruiting there. (Please don’t ask me his name!)</p>

<p>Ah, you must be talking about Rick Funk. Or Hank Lazer.</p>

<p>I think we have a rising senior from my son’s school, who is Presidential Scholarship material, looking seriously at UA for the Fall of 2013. And there will be more. </p>

<p>Hawaii is just discovering the Alabama Renaissance (as I like to call it). My son, Rose808’s daughter (and her two friends) are among the vanguard from the islands. Every few months they return home with tales of untold riches. In time, the “coconut wireless” will spread the word.</p>

<p>Regarding GPAs…I thought UA calculated a student’s high school GPA by including ALL classes (pe, drama, etc) as well as AP and regular classes…am I mistaken? my DDs HS calculates GPA ONLY on core classes and gives 0.3333 for AP classes. Her grades in drama, dance and p.e. are not included at all…</p>

<p>What does UA do?</p>

<p>Per the Common Data Set guidelines schools must report GPA for full-time incoming freshmen on a 4.0 scale. This GPA calcuation for the Common Data Set only. UA uses the GPA reported on a student’s transcript for admissions consideration.</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>My understanding is that UA uses the highest GPA shown on the HS transcript. That’s what they did for my D, at least.</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>This is one of the most impressive stats, IMHO.</p>

<p>My D, a rising senior, wants to major in musical theatre. ( I first got on CC because I googled MT majors 3 years ago. ) Not many schools offer an MT major; even fewer offer MT in a liberal arts non-conservatory setting at a school with great academics, great football, and complete college experience where she can double major for real world skills. And rarer still are those that offer all of the above AND great merit aid.</p>

<p>So, I have looked at the Common Data Sets for nearly 20-30 schools in the last few weeks, looking specifically at the amounts given for non-need aid. And there were very few who offered more merit money than athletic money…</p>

<p>We visited in February, but my D was still thinking she might go to NYC or to a school in Florida. But now that school let out last week and she sat down at the Excel spreadsheets I had prepared, she realized just how much she could get from Alabama… and I’m not talking about just money!</p>

<p>We also like the odds of the 'Bama MT audition: 80 kids auditioning for 12 spots! Rather than hundreds of kids at other schools for 8 spots…</p>

<p>So, here’s my first time saying it, but it’s appropriate on so many levels: ROLL TIDE!</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>Shhhhhhweet! :)</p>

<p>RTR!</p>

<p>When Rick was here in April I met a girl headed to Bama from the 808. Our numbers are growing. They may be able to start a club soon and host a luau!!! Roll Tide :)</p>

<p>^^^They do that and we’re going, Rose.</p>

<p>I looked it up. The speaker was Hank Lazer, a poetry professor. I thought he was quite good.</p>