Fall 2011 Transfer - CS

<p>I am applying as a transfer student to Purdue University with a 3.42. I am applying into CS and have 44 hours. Will I get in?</p>

<p>“Transfer students with one year or less of college coursework must meet high school course expectations and be in the upper half of their high school graduating class or have earned a B or higher in a college calculus course. Students also must have a strong SAT or ACT score and a 2.5 college GPA (4.0 scale). Transfer students with more than one year of college coursework must meet high school course expectations, have earned a B or higher in a college calculus course, and have a 2.5 college GPA (4.0 scale).” - Purdue website</p>

<p>You have above the 2.5 and I assume you meet high school course expectations.
Bonus: the program isn’t full yet.
That blurb though should give you a better idea.</p>

<p>Yeah, I read over all that and the requirements. You’re saying a 3.42 is good enough to get me into the CS program?</p>

<p>That, I don’t know. I know little about transfering. I’d assuming that being almost a whole point above the minimum GPA gives you a good chance.</p>

<p>Can anyone else help me?</p>

<p>To be honest, you might get in but the question is… can you stay in the program? Many people drop out of CS into other majors like Computer Engr and CIT.</p>

<p>To be honest, once I get in I will end up doing an internal transfer to the college of engineering(computer engineering) and go from there. I have a low GPA because of a D in a class so I couldn’t apply directly into CE or I would definitely not get in. I also don’t have a prereq so this is my best option. Hopefully I will get in. Thanks.</p>

<p>Hey KamRan, I just got my Transfer Decision, so maybe this will help.</p>

<p>I was a bum in High School (2.8 GPA) and completed 16 Credit Hours so far at Ivy Tech With a 3.46 GPA. Applied to transfer into CIT. Admission Decision: Denied Program/Offer Alternate, which means that I was not accepted to my program, but got admitted into the University.</p>

<p>Although I don’t know if you will be admitted into CS, I am sure that you will be admitted to Purdue. Since you plan to transfer into FYE, (You can’t really transfer directly into any specific engineering major as far as I know) I don’t think it matters if you get accepted into CS, you can just do USP.</p>

<p>Good Luck</p>

<p>Thanks so much for the response! As long as I get into the university I will be happy and do an internal transfer. I think our situation was a bit difference because they put more weight on your high school record since you applied with 16 hours, but congrats on the acceptance!</p>

<p>Did you apply for Fall 2011, and if so when did you apply?</p>

<p>It’s easier to get accepted into a program that isn’t ranked quite high nationally… If you were to CODO into Engineering then just apply to Liberal Arts or USP. It’s easier to get in compared to CS.</p>

<p>I applied for Fall 2011. Application was completed on February 22, 2011, but the App fees were paid in October.</p>

<p>If I don’t get accepted into CS is there a chance that I will be given admission into general undergraduate studies or something equivalent? I think I will get in because my personal statement is very strong, and I have had a 3.46 GPA taking 18 hours each semester(21 this semester) and holding a job that I work 20 hours a week. I also have a flag football league I play in(won regionals twice and went to nationals - came second), and am captain of the volleyball team. I also have many, many leadership positions and have directed many programs for my church. I hope they see that I am able to balance both school and work/EC’s very well.</p>

<p>Yes, if you don’t get accepted into your program, but Purdue thinks that you will succeed elsewhere, your decision will be listed as Denied Program/Offer Alternate. In your letter you will receive details on how to contact a Purdue counselor to talk about what programs you can be accepted in.</p>