Fall 2012 Dean's List is Published

<p>i think if over 8000 kids (around 30%) are getting a 3.5 or better, there is probably some grade inflation going on. : /</p>

<p>not with any of the hard-working CC kids, of course! :P</p>

<p>The private prep school DD attends has an Alumni Panel each year in which recent grads who are in college, or just out, come and spend a day with the juniors and, especially the seniors.</p>

<p>The clear message is that they are PREPARED. They can compose essays, find the main points in reading, critically listen, have many AP courses behind them, and most importantly, can MANAGE THEIR TIME SO THAT THEY CAN BALANCE ACADEMICS AND OUTSIDE ACTIVITIES.</p>

<p>I imagine that, as UA attracts more high-stat kids with stringent high school preparation, that there are, in fact, a growing proportion of students who can, and expect themselves to, succeed in every aspect of college, including a robust slate of ECs.</p>

<p>The growth of enrollment in the Honors College suggests this is so.</p>

<p>LadyDi, thank you. We cautioned D on jumping right into upper-level classes and honestly are quite happy with her first semester. I don’t think she had any classes that offered extra credit (none that I am aware of) and not even sure about curves. But this semester she is taking IHP 155 that does offer a lot of extra credit, so hopefully she can snag one of those A+s there. :slight_smile: A+'s or not, she worked hard, had a great work ethic, adjusted well and is happy. We couldn’t ask for more. Roll Tide!</p>

<p>Preparation aside, I plan to urge Dd to take a light load first semester freshman year. Recruitment, and the entire environment of living away and independently from our close-knit nest is bound to be different, if not daunting.</p>

<p>A good friend on CC advocates this approach, and I can only agree.</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>Decimal dust, as my statistics prof used to say. It’s like attending a party at the billionaire’s club when your net worth is “only” $999, 999, 999.96. You’re still richer than rich, no membership required.</p>

<p>Congrats to all the young scholars who did it the old fashioned way: they earned it.</p>

<p>TXArchitect: That is probably a good idea for all new students…</p>

<p>So grateful to you for posting this!</p>

<p>I do agree that taking a lighter load the first semester is a good idea. Take advantage of the AP credits and use the first semester to figure out what college will be like. No sense rushing into heavy work right off the bat. Maybe even retake an AP class to add a good grade or review info to prep for the next level.</p>

<p>I agree…take a lighter load first semester. This holds true not for those kids who are either pledging a sorority or fraternity but in my opinion for any kid that wants to get involved. While college is about the “academics” in my opinion it’s also about the “experiences”. So it’s okay first semester to take a little lighter load and get out there and explore. FYI…we learned the hard way. DD took wayyyy too heavy of a schedule her first semester and was dying before she ever even knew it. Thankfully she survived and learned that her initial major was not for her, changed majors and has flourished. In addition she has made the Deans list twice and the Presidential list twice (including this fall). It was so nice to see so many names of students I knew!!! Congrats to you all!</p>

<p>I’m in a different camp about taking an easy load. </p>

<p>Yes, maybe if you have something substantial that will take up your time (that you know of ahead of time, before even starting college, such as pledging or MDB, etc.), take 'er easy. </p>

<p>BUT, if you are a student who is used to going from 6 am with pre-school meetings of one flavor or another…takes a full load of AP courses in high school…and then stays after school to be involved in a different music/dance/art rehearsal every day of the week or a sport…and has community service and a few other extra curricular events every week to attend to…and finally gets to bed by midnight…having managed an 18-hour day, then you will find managing your time in university EASY, because you already know how to do so. Keep the pedal to the metal, so to speak, because if you don’t, you might find that there is a little too much time on your hands at university. Idle hands do the devil’s work? Or something like that?..</p>

<p>I’m not going to bore you with details about our experience, but I firmly believe that ANY student who is successful handling several hard classes and time-consuming events now in high school should try to emulate that kind of schedule in college.</p>

<p>Re grade inflation: Well, as at any school, some profs are easier than others. And others are harder. In DS’s double major (History / Classics): Tatiana the Greek Prof is a very demanding grader and challenges the kids out the wazoo. Some other profs are much easier. Many do give tons of extra credit (which is a good thing, I think–the kids learn more that way). </p>

<p>DS believes in balancing the tough, challenging classes with at least one easy class per semester, and I don’t blame him. This is nothing new, in fact. My husband did the same thing back when he was an undergraduate at Holy Cross many, many years ago. (I would have, too, but I attended an experimental hippie college that had written evaluations rather than grades.)</p>

<p>I certainly wouldn’t assume those students who earned a spot on the President’s list or Dean’s list are taking less challenging classes, easier professors, or received an abundance of extra credit. I can tell you that’s not always the case any more than assuming those who didn’t are slackers. Congrats to all of our students for a job well done.</p>

<p>bamagirls - Amen!!!</p>

<p>And as for just missing the President’s List by a hair: It’s absolutely no biggie. Let’s not become Tiger Moms, LOL. (Saying this to myself…remember the infamous Tiger Mom who berated her kids for getting A minuses? Ugh!!)</p>

<p>Life is way too short to sweat a tenth of a percentage point or whatever.</p>

<p>Here’s a challenge, Class2012Mom: marry your Dean’s table by state w/ these enrollment data by state, and let us know the inevitable comparisons you find: [Census</a> Enrollment Report: Fall 2012 | OIRA](<a href=“http://oira.ua.edu/d/webreports/enrollment2/Fall_2012/e10.html]Census”>http://oira.ua.edu/d/webreports/enrollment2/Fall_2012/e10.html).
(Way to go WV, 18 out of 19 students enrolled on the list: amazing!)</p>

<p>I had already looked at comparison percentages, but having found a few more location errors, did not want to publish any skewed numbers. The honors list shows more students from WV than there are students enrolled. Students UA published having come from Birch River, WV are likely from as Asian country (perhaps China).</p>

<p>Congratulations to all CC students and parents making the Dean and President’s list!! </p>

<p>DS has made the President’s List all three semesters! While I am extremely proud of him, I am deeply grateful to the The University of Alabama for having presented this opportunity to him!</p>

<p>Aeromom: I don’t think that anyone here is suggesting an “easy Load” for the first semester, I think we are cautioning against a stacked deck. For instance it is probably not a good idea for a freshman to take 19 or twenty credits, or to have all higher level classes (due to AP credits), or to have many 8am classes, or to have classes scheduled with no breaks in between. If prospective students have a desire to be involved in research or volunteering, or to become an ambassador, or to be in a musical ensemble, or to have a part-time job, they need some free hours to do these things. </p>

<p>They will have to go to class, study & read, make friends, get used to campus, shop, clean, do laundry, exercise, go to football games, and learn how to coordinate all of these things while being away from home. It is not too much of a stretch to think that a student who is overloaded can be under too much stress. It is important that they maintain a healthy outlook to prosper. </p>

<p>That is not to say that each student will follow the same path. I think that here on CC, we are used to students who are overachievers but that is in an environment that they are familiar with. We need to allow students some time to adjust to the college environment. Again, I am not saying slacking, I am just saying not overwhelming. </p>

<p>Will kids stretch their boundaries while in college? Well, yes, but isn’t that the point…to learn. Parents, You have taught your students well, they will do fine.</p>

<p>^ Amen! 10 char</p>