Fall 2012 Registration

<p>When do students register for classes for the upcoming fall semester? I haven’t heard anything about registration or advising and the Registration and Advising web page still only has the dates for Spring 2012 registration. But an Honor newsletter has an event that says “Thursday, February 23rd in the Nott Hall Computer lab, the Arts and Sciences Student Services office is hosting a special group advising session to assist Honors Students with their priority registration.” I’m freaking out a little becuase I haven’t looked at putting together my schedule or making an appointment with my advisor, because I haven’t heard anything saying I should. Did I somehow miss it and we’re supposed to be registering for classes already?</p>

<p>Are you a frosh? if so, what’s your major? Your Dept website should have some advising info up soon, if not already.</p>

<p>You need to meet with your advisor before the hold is lifted to register.</p>

<p>Registering dates are in order of honors status and credits. How many college credits do you have complete…including AP? you don’t count this semester because those aren’t complete.</p>

<p>From the honors newsletter, it sounds like registration begins sometime after that date.</p>

<p>Are you still considering pre-med? If so, which major will you be doing? I know that you were CS, are you still?</p>

<p>What classes have you taken so far and are taking this semester?</p>

<p>I am still considering pre med, and I am no longer a CS major. I have 53 credits, not including the hours I’m taking this semester. For the pre med requirements, I have finished the math (calculus and statistics) and english. I know that, though I have AP credit for Bio, Chem, and Physics, I will need to retake those classes, along with OChem.</p>

<p>I’m considering an anthropology major, with a minor in psychology, but I’m not certain and haven’t decided. DegreeWorks has my major program listed as Pre Medicine, BS. Along with statistics, I’ve taken General Education requirements this semester: HY, FA, Social and Behavioral Science, Humanities, and an Honors seminar.</p>

<p>Also, becuase I have the NMF scholarship, I had planned on studying abroad, most likely in the fall of my junior year. But I’m not sure about the timing of taking the science requirements because some med schools don’t accept credit from colleges outside the US.</p>

<p>I know that, though I have AP credit for Bio, Chem, and Physics, I will need to retake those classes, </p>

<hr>

<p>Can I make a recommendation. Retake Bio I, but use AP Credits for Bio II. Bio II can be rather boring for a pre-med student. Instead, if you take any higher level bio class (like BioChem or Genetics or Cell Bio or ???) that will be fine for med schools. </p>

<p>It is OK to use “half” of AP credits…many don’t realize that and thing it’s all or nothing…it’s not. </p>

<p>It can be hard to study abroad as a pre-med student if your goal is to do a semester abroad. Consider doing the Honors Costa Rica trip…your Study Abroad money would cover that nearly completely and you don’t lose a semester or have any issues with SOMs not accepting overseas credits. </p>

<p>My pre-med son is doing the Honors Costa Rica trip this May…right after semester ends. He’s really looking forward to it. I can’t remember how much it is, but I remember that it wasn’t a high amount…somewhere around $2k including airfare. </p>

<p>Last year, he went to Nicaragua with a group of doctors and other pre-meds…got lots of hands on medically-related experience and got to watch many surgeries. </p>

<p>Others might know of some other abroad trips that aren’t during the school year and aren’t expensive (if the plan is to keep within scholarship money).</p>