Fall 2013 Move In

<p>We arrived right on time at 10:00am at Ridgecrest West this morning. No lines and we were unloaded and everything in my DD room and ready to unpack by 10:20. Very efficient! May be busier on Friday. But this was early move-in. Expect longer lines next weekend. RCW staff said they only had about 50 girls move in today and expected about 50 more tomorrow. I’m sure Tut was a different story.</p>

<p>Easiest move-in we’ve ever done! Check-in time at Tutwiler was 10am, and we pulled in at 9:45 with our fingers crossed they’d let us through. We pulled right up, D checked in without ever getting out of the car. We pulled around to the drop off point and I joked that the movers looked like vultures ready to descend on their prey. They got right to it and had two big cars unloaded and us on our way by 9:58. No joke. D said she walked right onto the elevator with them. Once we parked we walked right onto the shuttle and were in her room by 10:30. It’s a well-oiled machine that worked quite nicely for us today!</p>

<p>The move-in at Ridgecrest South was absolutely painless. The UA housing folks have got this down to a science. We picked up our packages at the Ferguson Mail Center where 4 of the nicest guys carried everything to the back loading dock and put it in the truck. We then drove over to RCS where we were the only ones to move in at about 8:30am. Our time was 11am but we wanted to see if we could drop off the first load of boxes. No problem. 10 students converged on my car like I was giving away $100 bills. The nicest crew who wouldn’t let us touch a thing. All we had to do was unpack in the room. Completely unstressful move in. Now off to Walmart and later Full Moon.</p>

<p>Roll Tide</p>

<p>Husband has just texted that Target is outed everything.</p>

<p>We moved DD in Thursday. Arrived in T Town about 90 minutes early, so headed to Target to get the last few things. Drove to campus and were waved up to the front of RCS 30 minutes before our time - no wait at all. Once we got into the room, DD made a list of MORE last minutes things, so we headed back to Target. In less than an hour, tons of dormy items were cleared off shelves - including the cork board squares on the list. </p>

<p>UA is doing a GREAT job with move in. That funny guy who spoke at Preview Weekend about housing was stocking water for the workers and pointed out that his wife was heloing us move in. Amazing! Many thanks for making everything so painless!</p>

<p>Just want to mention that the off campus bookstore is no longer selling textbooks, so anyone hoping for cheaper used books will need to find a new source. And, FWIW, there are no more used calculus books at the Supe Store. I know many here on CC were talking about sourcing that particular book.</p>

<p>Thanks to all who have shared their experience. I’ll do the same next Friday night. We are in the first wave of the mass move-in Aug 16, Riverside West.</p>

<p>I’m very pleased to read that the move in “system” appears to be working well. I may get home before dark. </p>

<p>We found out that one of DS’s roommates will have a car, but I’m going to try to pack 1 or 2 of everything a boy needs [translation: not much], so DS won’t make a first impression by needing a ride too soon.</p>

<p>And as far as what I will “intentionally-accidentally” forget to pack, I’m still leaning toward backpack, although I’m seriously considering forgetting his pillow. It would require a whole set of young adult decisions, beginning with the best way to get to Target or Kohls, followed by deciding how to trade off price and comfort. Seems like an ideal little life lesson. Yet another gentle nudge to get him to exercise those young wings.</p>

<p>“Forgetting” underwear or toilet paper seemed too cruel. Funny, but cruel.</p>

<p>FWIW,
Walmart in Northport was fully stocked tonight and not very crowded at all. Very easy to get to by car. By the way, great call on the leather managers chair from Office Max. Fits perfectly under the desk and is very comfortable says may DS.</p>

<p>Move-in year two yesterday was smooth as silk! Pulled in front of RCS at 10:04, no line. Van unloaded in less than three minutes. DD and I parked in deck and her stuff was being unloaded in the suite as we walked in to her room. The volunteers are working very hard and already looked pretty tired. They definitely appreciated a cold bottle of water and a “thank you!” Unpacked, made bed etc. and then went to lunch and made a quick run to Target. They were fully stocked and there was a section at the front near the grocery side full of dorm supplies. Lots of checkout lines open-again no waiting. We were back home before 6pm. Wishing everyone a smooth moving day!</p>

<p>Missread- Is your daughter moved in early for band camp? My son moved in last night. He is excited for another year of marching band. Now we have to keep our fingers crossed he makes the cut. I sure hope they don’t have a lot of rain this week.</p>

<p>Yes Hokie, she’s doing band again this year. She’s very excited about the A&M game and knows this will be her last year of marching. I hope the humidity and rain hold off! Wet band shoes… Ugh!</p>

<p>Weather channel reporting rain for the start of the week. I sure hope it isn’t too bad. Lots of activities going on at Bama this week. Good luck to all.</p>

<p>WalMart NorthPort had restocked the under-bed plastic drawers! Got what we needed this morning.</p>

<p>Just arrived home from an awesome move-in experience and some precious time with both of our Bama students! Fortunately DS met his roommates at Bama Bound, and they are all doing AA so they are already having a blast together!</p>

<p>Tonight, our sweet daughter hosted a taco dinner at her apartment for her brother, his roommates, a hometown friend and her roommates. They are all freshman and all OOS students… 3 from GA, 2 from MS, and one each from CA, IA and TX! How’s that for Bama hospitality! She just texted me and said there were 14 all together counting her upperclassman friends who came to welcome the freshman. I am very proud of her initiative!</p>

<p>For our first official night as empty nesters, last night DH and I went for a late evening stroll down the Walk of Champions, listened to the Denny Chimes, reminisced about his days as a student, cooled off with a snack from Steel City Pops and grabbed a Hot doughnut from Krispy Kreme on the way back to the hotel! </p>

<p>Another great and memorable experience at Bama! Roll Tide!</p>

<p>^^^Peachtide, what dorm is your DS staying in. My DS is staying in Ridgecrest South and is also participating in AA along with one of his roommates. They are having a blast so far.</p>

<p>^Ridgecrest East</p>

<p>Right now at [University</a> of Alabama News](<a href=“http://uanews.ua.edu/]University”>http://uanews.ua.edu/), the featured video is [University</a> of Alabama News » Dr Bonner Welcomes Students and Their Families to UA](<a href=“http://uanews.ua.edu/videos/dr-bonner-welcomes-students-and-their-families-to-ua/]University”>http://uanews.ua.edu/videos/dr-bonner-welcomes-students-and-their-families-to-ua/) recorded at Tutwiler. It’s also on YouTube.</p>

<p>That is so sweet, Peachtide! My son just moved into Ridgecrest East Friday. He is doing OA. We have to make the trek from Texas again Friday to move junior s into East Edge. Where is d living that should could move in early? We tried to have junior move in same weekend as brother ( one week early), but East Edge said we would have to accept apt as is with no maintenance in between tenants or pay for an extra 2 months in the summer. That was really nice of your d.</p>

<p>Our DD lives off campus in an apartment over the river. This is her 2nd year there and we have a 12 month rental agreement. However, it is still considerably less than DS’s dorm!</p>

<p>Moved S in Friday afternoon @ Ridgecrest East. Smooth and easy and didn’t have to lift a thing. A run to Target for the fill-ins and we were all done. Empty nest feels … empty.</p>

<p>peachtide - what a nice thing for your daughter to do!</p>