Fall 2013 Transfer Hopeful

<p>Hey guys, I'm currently enrolled in a SUNY school & taking 15 credits this semester.. Mostly General Ed... Anyways, in High School I did terribly because I let partying and trying to be awesome get in the way of my school & I paid the price for it (I still passed all my core that were needed to graduate, never had to repeat a class).. Wisconsin-Madison was always a school I wanted to get into, but I figured straight out of High School I simply would've gotten denied so I applied in a local SUNY school.. Anyways, what would my chances as an out of state transfer be if I got a 3.6-3.8+ GPA while taking 15 credits a semester? I'm not exactly sure what Wisconsin's expectations are for out of state undergrads, is their anybody who could help me out with this? It would be much appreciated.</p>

<p>Bump! Nobody is willing to help me? :(</p>

<p>I suppose I’ll get blasted for being inconsiderate and rude, but your question has been asked and answered many times. Look thru previous threads, do a search, not to mention the info is posted on the UW-Madison website. They tell you when to apply, what kinds of GPA’s are typical, the timing, etc.</p>

<p>You get faster replies when you ask new questions, otherwise people who follow this board reply if the topic is of interest.</p>

<p>You don’t have to worry about High School is you prove yourself with challenging college courses.</p>

<p>Definitely look at the UW site- that is our source of info. Opinions never count, the UW’s stated policies do. Use your time to explore the site of the school you are interested in instead of here. This message applys to all college hopefuls.</p>

<p>PS- note the 3.0 req…</p>

<p>I have looked through the UW site and know the minimum requirements, classes needed, and average transfer GPA and have been in touch with them since the start of the year. I was wondering from personal experience how much HS grades really count, but thanks for the reply.</p>

<p>Very little if at all. The more college credits the less it matters. At least 30 credits before applying if HS record was that bad. They take transfers Fall and Spring</p>

<p>I’m aware the more credits the less it matters, so was just curious if 30 will be enough to essentially kind of “wipe” my HS transcript out if my freshman grades are up there. Looks like I got my answer. :slight_smile: Thanks guys</p>

<p>The word on the street here is that UW is accepting far fewer transfers the past 2 years than previously. Roommates friend at UW-Milwaukee had lousy HS grades but 30 ACT, 3.2 gpa on 30 credits and rejected 2012 spring, then lightly higher gpa on this fall app and rejected again for 2013 spring.</p>

<p>Well, that would make sense because his GPA at 3.2 is below the average that UW accepts (3.41)… But thank you for letting me know that./.</p>

<p><em>double post</em></p>

<p>Ouch. That sucks. Did he have ECs?</p>

<p>Anyway, I’m also looking to transfer from a pulic university in Wisconsin. I have no clue what my GPA is, but I sure it’s above a 3.0. By May I will only have 27 credits, but I was planning on taking a math course in the summer. Would that even be take into consideration?</p>

<p>Nobody on these forums knows if there is such a thing as “enough” credits to transfer. Maybe nobody in the admissions office knows if there is a cutoff for enough credits. If you display well-rounded and good overall academics with activities outside of classes you will have a good chance. That is the only information we all know, so try to maximize the credibility of those two things.</p>

<p>@Scubasteve are you talking to me? Because yes there is such thing as “enough” credits, you need a minimum of 24… Plus that’s not what I asked, lol.</p>

<p>Taking extra courses won’t change your odds. Anything we say here won’t affect your odds. All you can do is apply and see what happens. You can’t get in if you don’t apply and if you are debating the subject too much perhaps you shouldn’t bother.</p>