Fall 2014 admit numbers

<p><a href="http://www.jsonline.com/news/education/uw-madison-records-record-for-freshman-applications-b99324700z1-269992571.html"&gt;http://www.jsonline.com/news/education/uw-madison-records-record-for-freshman-applications-b99324700z1-269992571.html&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p>

<p>Good news for good instate students. Not so good for OOS hopefuls as more instate students are being accepted, leaving less room for OOS students. Another bit- this is a Milwaukee newspaper (a good one) so they lament that UW-Madison taking more of the top students means the other state schools won’t get as many of them.</p>

<p>I noticed that only about 1 in 4 international applicants was accepted, less than 1 in 2 OOS and 70+ % of instate applicants. I don’t know how Minn residents are classified for this- instate or OOS pool because of tuition reciprocity. The much lower OOS acceptance rate may reflect perceptions of UW- OOS students will put UW on their list even if it is a long shot while instate students with more knowledge will not bother applying with similar stats.</p>

<p>Even though more (higher percentage) instate students are being accepted this does not mean less quality than in the past. I wonder what the total pool of Wis state HS grads is currently. More highly qualified grads who may not think they can get in and who don’t apply will increase the percentage of those who do apply and get accepted. </p>

<p>Can have all sorts of fun interpreting data.</p>

<p>I think this is a double-edged sword. I think it’s awesome that we’ve admitted so many Wisconsinites, but at the same time, I worry about the loss of diversity and perspective that comes with having so many people at an institution with similar backgrounds. Similarly, OOS and international dollars are lucrative, and with so many of the university facilities lacking and the never-ending fight to retain top faculty, we could definitely use it.</p>

<p>This is all easy for me to say as an instate student who has already been at Madison for a year, though. So while I lament about the high acceptance rate, I was advantaged because of it. </p>

<p>The number and % of OOS/Int will not get smaller. They grew instate number by growing the total class size. </p>

<p>If the percentage of instate students grows the other group must decrease in percentage (although not absolute numbers if more matriculate). I agree the OOS/international students bring the country/world to WI natives.</p>

<p>The target is 27.5% OOS. That has been true since they raised it from 25% a couple years ago. The % on instate did not grow–just the number as total class grew from around 5800 target to 6200 or so. So the number but not % of instate went up too. What did go up is instate accept rate. Don’t know about yield yet.as that will impact final counts</p>