Fall 2014 Housing

<p>I'm looking for insight on the different on campus housing options. It would be great if current students could comment along with the students to be.</p>

<p>Current students:
Where did you stay? Why? Likes? Dislikes? Learning communities? Which dorm do you recommend?</p>

<p>For the fall freshman:
Where are you planning to stay? Why? Major? Gender?</p>

<p>kldat, I am a parent however, I can give you a little prospective on why my kids chose their particular dorms. My dd chose the Northside Modulars to be close to classes, Sbisa, etc. The modulars also have a bit more interior dorm space than the other options plus they offer private bathrooms. She enjoyed living in the modulars and living in the Northside. </p>

<p>My incoming freshman chose (as his first choice (hopefully he will get it)) the Engineering LLC (Commons). The Engineering LLC seems to offer freshman students a lot to be successful the first year by have tutoring on site, faculty that have on-site office hours, the camaraderie of everyone in the dorm going through the same freshman classes. This makes getting together for study sessions easier. The dorms in the Commons offer students a lot. There is a convenient store, snack bars, recreation areas, tv lounge, study rooms, drafting rooms, community kitchen, mailboxes, etc. </p>

<p>I’m going to be staying in Lechner/McFadden, unless I get into Cornerstone, in which case Hullabaloo. </p>

<p>Hullabaloo’s… crazy, man. There’s a starbucks inside the dorm and the washing machines text you when they’re done, which I find strangely fascinating. Everything’s so clean, rooms are nice, it’s practically like a really decent hotel.</p>

<p>McFadden/Lechner are nice too, just more… dorm-y and less hotel-y. </p>

<p>Econ/Male</p>

<p>Thanks for the feedback. My son is still debating North or South side. As with anything there are pros and cons for each. He is engineering but is not impressed with Mosher at all. In fact he didn’t like any of the commons. </p>

<p>Do you have to be an honors student to stay in Lechner or Haas? My son didn’t apply to honors because he didn’t think he would be attending A&M. Well he is. </p>

<p>Lechner is an honors dorm, university honors required. Haas is just a northside modular - use to be all girls, but now coed. Here’s a link to reslife <a href=“http://reslife.tamu.edu/reshalls/modular”>http://reslife.tamu.edu/reshalls/modular&lt;/a&gt; . Don’t get too worried about north/south , it really isn’t that big of a deal and many students don’t get their request so it isn’t like there are only certain types of students that end up in one or the other. Also there are many qualified students who elect not to apply to university honors, so they are also mixed into the regular dorms & do just fine.</p>

<p>kldat1 – Just as another perspective, my older daughter, now a junior Mech Eng., lived on the northside (McFadden/Lechner/Clements) and loved it because she really liked the Honors dorms and she felt northside dorms were close to her engineering classes. My younger daughter , also an engineering student, chose to apply to Hullabaloo last Sept. and forgo applying to honors. Different strokes for different kids.</p>

<p>Thanks guys. My son mentioned Hullabaloo also. It just seems a little far away. It does appear that the south side has more parking and it is more convenient. </p>

<p>He is still working through things including the roommate issue of rooming with a HS friend or a new person. He applied to housing in early September so that should put him in a decent spot in the queue to get his first or second choice. He is going to do another visit and review the dorms and talk to students. Hopefully he comes back with a little clearer view of what he wants.</p>

<p>Does anyone have feedback on the Rise at Northgate? Good for freshman?</p>

<p>Any comments or thoughts about Hobby?</p>

<p>@lavastorm the rise is not worth your money, unless you get a 2-3 bedroom, the 4 bedroom is bad, they are really small rooms and some people in your room get advantage over others because there rooms are bigger but they still pay the same as you. I guess if you want to take a risk then go for it. There is a lot of partying going on. they have problems with there new appliances like the dishwashers. the electricity isnt always great, my boyfriend lives there with his three roommates and when you turn on the light to his room it turns off the light in his roommates room. The ceiling looks like it hasnt even been finished. If your like Johnny Football then go ahead and get the 16th floor rooms which apparently really nice. but your going to find yourself hating the elevators. </p>

<p>When does TAMU inform students about what housing they were assigned to? My son and his hope-to-be roommate have pretty early housing dates of early September and early October. </p>

<p>kldat, I was just on Residence Life wondering the same thing. Per their FAQ page, room/roommate assignment notification will go out in early June. <a href=“http://reslife.tamu.edu/faq/reshalls/assignments”>http://reslife.tamu.edu/faq/reshalls/assignments&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;

<p>I choose hart Moses and walton are those good dorms</p>

<p>Hart is really old, Walton is bad (I hear), and I don’t know anything about Moses. </p>

<p>Housing assignments are out! My son got the dorm and and roommate. So far so good. Now let’s what happens at NSC and his class schedule.</p>

<p>My son’s also rec’d word of his housing assignment in Mosher Hall, and his new roommate. NSC is next week. I think his head will soon be a’swimming with all these new life changes! Fun days ahead (for mom and dad, too!)!!</p>