Fall 2018 Non-Arizona Resident Freshman - Arizona Excellence Awards Table

If you look on this website :

http://financialaid.arizona.edu/types-aid/scholarships/scholarships-0

It seems that according to the second table with a 3.9 GPA and a 32 ACT, that you get a $30K/year scholarship.

Does anybody know if it is automatic or if it is competitive?

If it is automatic, is acceptance also automatic?

Finally, how about getting into Honors College?

thanks

unweighted 3.9 GPA, I know.

seems like they are valuing GPA/ACT/SAT more than PSAT/NMF like they did in the past.

This is just my understanding. My daughter is an OOS applicant and we’ve talked to admissions a few times.

There is auto-admit by grades/scores for in-state, but they review your application for OOS.
Honors college is not auto admit by stats. There is a separate application with essay and resume required.

So it sounds like it is not auto-admit. Neither is Honors.

@AroundHere

But if already admitted are the scholarship values in the table automatic?

It sounds like it is automatic once admitted. The only conditions I see are sending in official test scores (no self-reported which honestly seems fair) and verification of 8th semester grades when they become available.

Fwiw, I am an OOS student with a 3.8 UW gpa and a 32 on the ACT, and I just got accepted w/ $30k a year. This was more than what the calculator told me I would receive per year.

@WiscoRunner : Already accepted for fall 2018? or you mean for fall 2017? That value matches exactly the calculator though.

@rgosula Accepted for fall 2018. When I put my information into the scholarship estimator my estimate was $18k/yr in merit aid.

@WiscoRunner : Sorry, I meant to say that the value matches exactly what the table here shows:

http://financialaid.arizona.edu/types-aid/scholarships/scholarships-0

Wow, that acceptance is quite early in the college application cycle. You must be sitting pretty and relaxed.

Am I reading their costs right? It looks like non-resident tuition is $32K+ and a 4.0 UW GPA gets $35K plus NMF gets another $5k. If that is correct, that is way better than last year. I seem to recall it was about $18K last year or something like that - vaguely that it was about the same cost as in-state UC.

I did not see that. That would pretty much be a full ride for OOS!
But you do need Perfect GPA, Perfect ACT/SAT, and NMF. Not easy to come by.

Please note that in years past, you were considered NMF for all practical purposes if you were NHRP:
https://collegereadiness.collegeboard.org/psat-nmsqt-psat-10/scholarships-and-recognition/national-hispanic-recognition-program

It was very good last year. OOS got a waiver and then the scholarship. In-state got scholarship. D didn’t decide to go to U of A but it would have been about $5,000/yr as a NMF (tuition plus big chunk of R&B). At the last minute, she was offered an additional $1,500 or so from her department but she had already made her decision.

U of A was definitely where she would have ended up as second option. Good luck to this year’s applicants!

@Sportsman88 By last year, I assume you mean the students who started this fall. If I had known UA was offering that much for NMF, I probably would have had our son submit an application. But even looking at the details now for the 2017-2018 school year, I only see $18k + 5k as the amount, nothing about an OOS waiver. If it’s there, it’s certainly not clear to me. No big deal, but what I see for the upcoming school year sure looks a lot more compelling.

So is the 30K a yr the max (non-NMF but 33 ACT/3.97 gpa, full IBD)? Out of a COA of $51,417?

Yes, class of 2021. The wording looks different from last year but the net effect isn’t that different. Arizona Excellence for a 4.0/high SAT/ACT OOS student is $35,000 and OOS tuition is $35,700 so $700 tuition plus room/board and other expenses. NMF adds another $5,000 leaving $7,000 for R&B plus whatever for books and travel.

Departments will add scholarships on top of that. I think it’s a great deal that isn’t mentioned much on here for a 4.0 high SAT/ACT NMF. It’s also a late deadline but the scholarship is only if they still have funds I believe.

@youcee I think NMF+ACT/SAT+GPA gets you the almost full ride, not the NMF by itself.

@WiscoRunner did you also get Honors?

@rgosula You’re right, I was mentally lumping it all together since that’s what he had. This year is a great deal that I agree should be mentioned more on this site. I would imagine most NMF OOS kids will qualify for either the $30K or $35K scholarship in addition to the $5k for NMF.

@rgosula Honors isn’t automatic, you have to submit a separate application and I haven’t submitted that yet so not sure. Hopefully though!

How long from application to acceptance?

@rgosula I applied in late July/early August (finished app in late July but didn’t send in official ACT until early Aug) and was accepted Sept. 5th.