Fall 2022 acceptance

My daughter was accepted today Wednesday and was awarded the Provost Scholarship .

4 Likes

Where does it tell you if you got a scholarship? My son went onto the portal online but I don’t see it on the acceptance letter

I asked my daughter and she said she logged into the portal.

I believe it would be mentioned w letter

I got into Broadcast Journalism and Documentary program at Dodge with a Presidential Scholarship woohoo!

3 Likes

yes my son received his scholarship information with the acceptance letter

Wow I’m very impressed. My daughter got accepted at UC Riverside/Davis/San Diego and University of San Diego but this very generous offer from Chapman definitely put them in serious contention. They are actually the cheapest now.

4 Likes

Wow, that’s great! My daughter was only offered the provost scholarship. They included the housing and others in admission letter or did you ask for it?

Honestly, i didn’t even noticed the other grant and scholarship especially the housing grant until i asked my daughter to print it out for me.

1 Like

I think Chapman is doing a lot of things right. Love seeing this thank you for sharing

2 Likes

Chapman is in the running for us but worried about lack of diversity, as we’ve read that’s an issue

1 Like

I agree! It needs to get better both by race but also by economic class but I think they are trying and I appreciate that their scholarships help. Vs a school like Cal Poly which has very limited scholarships or diversity. First Year Class Profile | Undergraduate Admission | Chapman University (Chapman) https://www.collegefactual.com/colleges/california-polytechnic-state-university-san-luis-obispo/student-life/diversity/#ethnic_diversity (Cal Poly- note I tried to find this piechart on calpoly site but couldn’t). I feel like this is a school that’s changing quickly both academically becoming stronger but also working to become more diverse. But no, they aren’t there yet. But the UCs have their issues too. CA is difficult. And very white at UCs/privates. Some are trying harder than others.

1 Like

Yes, good point. I think the smaller size is good too, more attention from professors and I’ve heard good things about professors at Chapman.

1 Like

My son K. got into Chapman in CS with several scholarships and is considering it as he was waitlisted for his top choice. Does anyone have any info on the Computer Science or engineering program? From what we have read, both are relatively new programs, and they just built that amazing Science and Engineering building, Keck Center. My daughter almost went to Chapman 3 years ago but ended up at USD.

1 Like

My daughter is close to making a decision and Chapman is at the top of the list. She is a psychology major.

One reason Chapman seems like a good fit is that she can double major/minor and has the option to change her mind.

The private school size is a good fit academically and socially.

I have gone back and forth on whether it is positive or negative for her that Chapman does not have advanced degrees in psychology. On one hand the professors will be able to give more attention to undergrads, the classes will be taught by professors, not graduate students and there may be less competition for research assistant positions. On the other hand there may be less research going on. I found something when deep diving on the internet that Chapman partners with UCI for some psych research, if true that is a great opportunity.

If anyone has more knowledge about this I would appreciate another perspective. We are visiting next month and have a list of questions.
We went to an admitted student day at UW Seattle yesterday and I felt lost in the shuffle. It will be interesting to compare experiences between schools.

1 Like

I was surprised to see that the Asian population is extremely low compared to public colleges and the population in the area.

I have no advice about research but we are in the same boat. After going to the UW event, realized it was huge and had some drawbacks. One breakout group we went to talked about how it’s impossible to switch majors and hard to get classes you want. Odd way to sell their school.

1 Like

UW did not do much to impress. Our dorm tour guide said some odd things too. Like freshman are definitely not guaranteed housing and that the longer you are at UW the more likely you will be guaranteed housing. I am used to schools that require freshmen to live on campus. Maybe she meant “choice of housing?” I could understand that.
Back to Chapman, we are visiting the week of April 11th. Have you visited? My daughter is not excited about the groups they put you in for the dorms according to your major. She does not think that is the best way to tell who you are compatible with. She is probably overthinking it.

1 Like

We visited Chapman last Fall with a tour. Reminded me of a movie set or something, so clean. I think they still pair roomies up for compatibility on top of grouping by major. My daughter is undecided and I think they sprinkle them in, so not sure who she will end up with.

2 Likes

from what I understand you are grouped by college (like all dodge kids together) but with different majors so screenwriter with advertising major etc. But if you look at housing app you are also placed with someone with similar patterns (early riser, like to have people over, type of music etc)

1 Like