Fall 2023 Financial Offers

While my child received a significant merit scholarship from Dayton, the cost of attendance is still higher than some of their (comparable or higher-ranked) alternatives. Has anyone successfully negotiated a better financial offer from Dayton this year? I’ve seen a lot of conversations that suggest they have been willing to work with students in the past, but I am wondering if this has changed.

Even with the 27,500 they offered my son, its not financially an option for us.

@EconPop has a student there although I’m unsure if their financial situation… but may know.

@Lwo I was able to receive more aid than was originally offered for my son at UD, but our situation was likely different than yours. We had high financial need, so our aid included Financial Need aid as well as Merit Aid.

My feeling is that for students with excellent stats (epecially those in Engineering or CompSci,) UD will offer Merit that leaves about $30K-$40K. No scientific research was conducted to come to that conclusion. Mostly it’s just anecdotal situations relayed to me via my son who is a current student at UD.

It certainly won’t hurt to request more aid if you feel your student would definitely attend UD if a certain # was met. If that’s true. It won’t hurt to communicate to the Financial Aid representative that UD would be your student’s choice if they were able to provide $X more dollars of aid. They may not provide it, but if your student really wants to attend UD, it’s worth an ask.

Good luck.

1 Like