Fall break redux

<p>Turns out the only reason DS wants to come home for fall break is that his roommates and his pals from the Navigators will be away. But—between shuttle times, flight times, layovers, and everything else, it just doesn’t look as if it’s logistically feasible for him to come home for that short period. He wants to depart on the 26th after his 10 a.m. class, but the logistics just won’t work, unless he wants to have a 4-hour layover in Atlanta.</p>

<p>We miss him tons and would LOVE to see him, but we just don’t see how it could work. </p>

<p>We’re trying to convince him to stay on campus, but he’s being a spoiled brat about the whole thing. He says he’ll feel like a loser and a nerd if he’s “the only one” of his acquaintance on campus. (He’s a very social kid.)</p>

<p>Helllllllp!!! Does anyone know whether a lot of kids do stay on campus for fall break? I would assume that most kids from pretty far away would be staying. Any idea??</p>

<p>. He wants to depart on the 26th after his 10 a.m. class, but the logistics just won’t work, unless he wants to have a 4-hour layover in Atlanta.</p>

<p>If he doesn’t mind a 4 hour layover, I don’t see it as a big deal. He’d still likely get home before many other kids.</p>

<p>Not to mention…once he’s in Atlanta, he can see if they’ll put him on an earlier flight (no charge).</p>

<p>We live 850 miles away, so my son has never come home for fall break. The time is so short that most of it would be spent driving to and from the airport. In the past, he has studied, done his laundry and caught up on sleep. Once, I remember calling him when he was helping someone rearrange furniture in the dorm.</p>

<p>He also will not be home for Thanksgiving for a second straight year – he has tickets to the Auburn game. Sure, we will miss him, but our turkey dinner will not better than an Alabama-Auburn football game!</p>

<p>Has your son checked if he can miss a class and still come home? Sometimes, professors will cancel a class before a break. It does pay to ask.</p>

<p>I agree that kids can find other things to do…</p>

<p>Go to the Recreation Center
Walk over to The Strip and get a bite to eat…you probably will meet some new friends!
Sleep
Laundry
TV
Study - read ahead!
Homework
Read for enjoyment!</p>

<p>Last year, the break was only 3 days long (ugh!). This year with it being 4 days it will be a mix of who stays and who leaves. </p>

<p>Hey…for the amount of money that a travel costs, it’s cheaper to get him enrolled in ZipCar and pay for a few hours of Zip Car use.</p>

<p>DS has never and probably will never come home for Fall Break, ditto Thanksgiving. It’s just not worth the hassle of airports etc. for just a few days - his comment which I agree with. There will be PLENTY of kids on campus relaxing, hanging on the strip, enjoying the small respite from homework and studies. He’s coming home for Thanksgiving - right?</p>

<p>Also…a nice walk/job along the RiverWalk will be nice, too. or sit and read on a park bench there.</p>

<p>hanging out on the Strip will be popular.</p>

<p>Tell your son to grab a couple of books (for enjoyment or for school) and head over to The Strip…</p>

<p>What’s the name of the Coffee Shop over by TCBY? Maybe others can recommend some places with cozy chairs and drinks/snacks/whatever. </p>

<p>Your son should be able to have access to the free bike rentals. My kids haven’t used them, so I don’t know how they work…maybe someone here knows. Where do you go to register?</p>

<p>Some of my favorite times to be at UA are when there are only 100-500 people on campus and you can go for hours without seeing more than a couple of people. It’s a lot different from the hustle and bustle of the school week and can be lonely at times, but it is something every student should experience at least once.</p>

<p>The main reason why I’m going home for Thanksgiving is that my family wasn’t able to come down during September/October and I needed some extra flights in order to keep my elite status for 2012. </p>

<p>UA will be open the Thursday and Friday of fall break and I will be at work for much of those days. Apart from not having classes for two days, it will not be that much different from a normal week.</p>

<p>Lady D,</p>

<p>Your son still has the ruby slippers he needs to come home with!</p>

<p>Those slippers only cost him $5!</p>

<p>All he has to do is click them together three times and chant : “There’s no ticket like LSU! There’s no ticket like LSU! There’s no ticket like LSU!”</p>

<p>Hell, they’ll be lining up to drive to the wilds of Stokes County…</p>

<p>;-)
G</p>

<p>My DS says that because fall break is Halloween weekend, he definately isn’t coming home. He says there are lots of things going on for Halloween???</p>

<p>Ditto to AL34’s comment. DS didn’t have any problem last year spending the free time non-stressed, non-scheduled, checking things out. </p>

<p>Sounds like this he’s expecting more company as more and more kids are hanging about. With the rise in OOS I’m not surprised. </p>

<p>Also signed him up for the zip-car this year, convenient if a few of them want to catch a movie (or anything off the beaten track).</p>

<p>maybe he can get invited to go with one of his friends.</p>

<p>what are the navigators?</p>

<p>i don’t think staying will be all that bad, and if you don’t already have a ticket purchased, won’t it be pricey? my DD is coming home, but her ticket was purchased LONG ago and cost under 200 dollars.</p>

<p>I was wondering if the schedule for the 2012-2013 school break is available yet. If not, when are those calendars usually available? I’d love to know in advance all the school breaks so I can keep an eye on airfare. </p>

<p>I think staying on campus during the break actually sounds nice. Students are often too busy to enjoy the campus when they are hurrying to class, writing papers, studying, etc. I do know that I’d like my D to have the option to come home for Thanksgiving.</p>