Fall Semester 2012 starts?

<p>I’m trying to figure out when the fall 2012 semester starts. Also I am assuming if my child chooses to do AA or OA he would move in the weekend before. </p>

<p>I know it’s very early to be coordinating dates but we have a 30 year HS reunion August 2012 plus I need to take off a few days for the move-in and need to schedule those ASAP as August is the major vacation month at work.</p>

<p>Also - does anyone know if the Marching Band students arrive earlier than others? Would being in the Marching Band preclude you from participating in AA?</p>

<p>Update…just checked the band calendar and it looks like band camp begins the week before classes start. Is this also when AA is?</p>

<p>I don’t think the 2012-2013 schedule has yet been set.</p>

<p>But, I would think that this would be it…</p>

<p>Aug 12…Move in for those in AA, OA, or Sorority Rush</p>

<p>Aug 17 or 18…Move in for the rest of Frosh…Beginning of WOW week (week of welcome)</p>

<p>Aug 22 First Day of Class</p>

<p>*I know it’s very early to be coordinating dates but we have a 30 year HS reunion August 2012 plus I need to take off a few days for the move-in and need to schedule those ASAP as August is the major vacation month at work.
*</p>

<p>If you have a conflict, your child could arrive early for OA or AA with minimal things to get thru that week (they don’t need much), then you could arrive on weekend of Aug 17th to help with the full move in of stuff.</p>

<p>Our child comes first - and being 800 miles away, we will be with him when he moves in, regardless of when it is. There will be other reunions but only once will my son going away to school for the first time. Wouldn’t miss it for anything. (Spouse offered up our place for friends coming in to town for his reunion and we may not be even be here - better they know now they may need to make other plans)</p>

<p>Any idea when they will publish the dates?</p>

<p>I’m anxiously awaiting the announcement of Family Weekend next year, as it will be our 30th anniversary, and we are planning a special trip to celebrate. I’m hoping it will be in September again, as our trip will come well after that. We don’t want to miss a single Family Weekend, as it will only happen for four years, and we’re already halfway done!</p>

<p>*But, I would think that this would be it…</p>

<p>Aug 12…Move in for those in AA, OA, or Sorority Rush*</p>

<p>The 12th is a Sunday - do the kids typically move in on Sunday or can they do the Saturday before? Does AA start on a Monday typically?</p>

<p>*The 12th is a Sunday - do the kids typically move in on Sunday or can they do the Saturday before? Does AA start on a Monday typically? *</p>

<p>Typically, the move in for AA/OA/rush is on Sunday - with various sign-up times. I don’t know if they allow a Saturday move in or not. </p>

<p>I know that the sororities have a get-together (convocation) on late Sunday afternoon. I don’t know if the AA/OA kids have something going on Sunday eve as well.</p>

<p>I thought someone told my student that she would move in on a Saturday for Rush. THis is what I found on the UA Housing page:</p>

<p>Fall 2011 Residence Hall Check-In Information
The online Move-In sign-up process is now closed. Freshmen who did not select a move-in time will be assigned a time by HRC staff, and will receive an email message to their UA email account with the assigned check-in time.</p>

<p>All students that have signed up for, or have been assigned, a check-in time will receive a parking pass at the end of July through the mail to the student’s permanent mailing address. This parking pass will be used during Move-In, so be sure to bring it with you.</p>

<p>Note: Please arrive on your assigned day and time. If you arrive outside of your assigned move-in period, you will be directed to a holding area and will be required to wait until conditions allow you to proceed.</p>

<p>Sorority convocation on the evening of Saturday, August 13, is a casual event, as it is understood that students will have spent the day moving into their residence hall rooms. Students participating in sorority recruitment should have no concern about moving in on Saturday, August 13.</p>

<p>This year freshman who were moving in early could move in Friday (Tutwiler only), Saturday (rush, AA/OA, band, athletics) or Sunday (AA/OA, band, athletics). Rush actually started with convocation on Saturday and parties began early on Sunday morning. Alabama Action had check in on Sunday afternoon and the first dinner and class meeting on Sunday evening. </p>

<p>My daughter moved in on Sunday for AA, which worked out well. We signed up for the first arrival time. Her roommates were rushing and left the suite sometime during the 9:00 hour to get to their parties – so we had the entire suite available as a move in staging area. The rush activities ended after AA activities started so we were completely done before the roommates returned and we had plenty of time even for a Target run before the AA welcome dinner.</p>

<p>I also hope they post the Fall 2012 calendar soon since I have to plan vacation time, vacation from work, another child moving into a different college, HS marching band schedule, etc.</p>

<p>OMG this thread just made me realize that I may have two kids moving into college on the same weekend in two very far away states! Ahhhhhhh! Youngest will be moving to UA, has not firmly decided between AA/OA or Rush, so we know she will be that middle weekend. And middle one will be moving into her first apartment in Iowa.</p>

<p>I would hate to miss either one…but like previous poster, I will be there for the youngest…just cannot miss that. </p>

<p>Just going to have to wait and see how the dates shake out…now I am stressed.</p>

<p>*And middle one will be moving into her first apartment in Iowa.
*</p>

<p>We had a similar concern…then we realized that with an apartment move-in, the dates are more flexible. Find out if your older D can move into her apt on the first weekend in Aug.</p>

<p>Our daughter will be participating in sorority Rush starting August 11. Since we have to fly to get to Bama, how many days should we parents remain in the area? I believe we can move her in the 10 th, but I am not sure if there are activities we need to be around for during the rush wee. Please let me know if you have experience in this area. Thank you.</p>

<p>Hi,</p>

<p>You might want to send a PM to Alpimommy. She would know what parents might want to attend. I don’t know if parents attend convocation or not. Some parents are there when girls get bids, but I doubt you’re going to want to stay that long.</p>

<p>Some parents send their kids out alone with minimal stuff, and then arrive when Rush ends to be there for Bid Day and for the beginning of Wow…and they help their kids with final move in then.</p>

<p>I have already spoken to Alpimommy, who has been a great help! I didn’t even think about sending her alone first then joining her later in the week. That may be the best idea. I will make sure to have a hotel reservation just in case. So much to do!</p>

<p>I just made a hotel reservation for the 11th and 12th, but was unable to book our hotel of choice, the Courtyard. Already booked up! That’s ok though, we were able to get the Hilton Garden Inn right next to it. But I was surprised that it was already booked for early move in.</p>

<p>[Fall</a> 2012 Academic Calendar | The Office of the University Registrar - The University of Alabama](<a href=“http://registrar.ua.edu/academics/academic-calendars/fall-2012-academic-calendar/#tab=tab-1]Fall”>http://registrar.ua.edu/academics/academic-calendars/fall-2012-academic-calendar/#tab=tab-1)</p>

<p>doesn’t say anything about move-in, but classes start the 22nd</p>

<p>Move in for recruitment will be Friday August 10 and Saturday August 11. Generally it starts at 8 am. Watch your crimson email for notification of when move in times sign ups will be. The times go VERY fast!!!
As for hotels being booked for early move in remember almost 2000 girls will be moving in for formal recruitment.<br>
For those of you who are not moving early but are planning to move in the following weekend I would book ASAP. Saturday August 18th is Bid Day. This is a family event and many parents return to witness their daughters running sorority row. Hotel rooms will fill up quickly.</p>

<p>XX…</p>

<p>Regular move-in for frosh is often the Saturday before classes start. If you’re doing AA, OA, or Rush, then it’s the week before.</p>