Family Weekend Sept 16-18, 2011

<p>My family wants to go to this year’s Family Weekend. Our D will be a new freshman at Bama this fall. </p>

<p>How was last year’s weekend? Should we book a hotel now? Who will be attending? Any sage advice?</p>

<p>Yes! book your hotel NOW…there may be few rooms left!</p>

<p>Also, usually you have to sign up thru Family Weekend in order to buy football tix. This also gives you access to the game day lunch and the Friday night pool party (last year was VERY nice).</p>

<p>You are not kidding. I just looked at the availability and there are very few hotels that show up on the Expedia search. The Capstone was $1000. I think it might be too late to try and get a hotel room.</p>

<p>They are filling up quick, that’s for sure!</p>

<p>The UA parent site should have a listing of hotels for Family Weekend. If you cannot get anything in T-Town, you may try Bessemer, which is about 45 minutes away. Lots of hotels and restaurants there. My youngest son and I went for my oldest son’s first year. He actually said that while he appreciated the visit, he thought that the money could be better spent at another time. This year, I visited in late October during fall break. The campus was quiet, and rooms were plentiful.</p>

<p>Thanks, momreads. I will check into the hotels listed but we may visit another weekend. You mentioned going during fall break. Do the leaves change color in the fall at Bama? We live in Florida and everything is always green.</p>

<p>It is pricey, but Family Weekend is very nice. I’m glad we did it. We briefly went to the Pool Party, just the parents, as son already had plans with his roomies, but we very much enjoyed meeting up with him on the Quad on Gameday. We had never been to a college football game, and we were amazed at the setups. We got food at vendors around the Quad, and listened to the band warm up before the game. The Family Lunch was very nice. Son met other students he would have never met, kids from Blount, and he made some new friends with similar interests that he still stays in touch with, though their academic paths will likely never cross again. We went our separate ways for the game, as the student section was much closer than our seats were for the game, but I do believe some kids did trade in their tickets to sit with their parents. There is a family get together at the Catholic Church that we didn’t attend, just did Mass together. The Parent Ambassador kids are super nice and had a nice package together for us. A nice t-shirt included. We were lucky enough to get a Tuscaloosa hotel, but not available this year. I have reservations in Bessemer for this year, and we do hope to attend again, especially since it’s a little later this year.</p>

<p>Check around for room availability.</p>

<p>If you’re driving in from Florida, then you could stay in Bessemer, B’ham, or Hoover and then drive in to T-town.</p>

<p>We went last year since it was D’s freshman year and we won’t go again. I’d rather go on another weekend that isn’t as crowded. I was worried that she’d feel “abandoned” if we didn’t go on the official weekend, but she wouldn’t have cared. We ended up getting a room in Hoover (about 45 min away; suburb of Birmingham) which was quite nice. </p>

<p>Last year’s Parent’s weekend was so early. We hadn’t even had a chance to miss her :slight_smile: This year’s is on her birthday. I’ve already told her I guess we won’t be seeing her, as there’s no way she’s missing a game day.</p>

<p>Some hotels don’t release their rooms for football season until a particular date and some don’t offer them online. I know there were rooms available at the Hilton Garden Inn earlier this week.</p>

<p>We are going for Parents’ Weekend and Homecoming this year!</p>

<p>Thanks for the heads up!</p>

<p>I definitely recommend attending family weekend. Hotel costs in and around Tuscaloosa will be expensive though. If coming from points south of Tuscaloosa, there is a hotel in Eutaw, Alabama that would be on the way to Tuscaloosa, rather than past it. My family’s also stayed out by the Mercedes Plant at the Greystone Inn and Suites and liked it (free beer and wine the night before the game and mimosas and Bloody Marys in the morning).</p>

<p>I agree that the pool party last year was very fun, although not many people (especially college students) went swimming.</p>

<p>For those of us who are new to UA, could you give us a few details? It looks like it occurs about a month after we leave our kids at UA. Is it all three days or does it start later on Friday? </p>

<p>We have rooms booked for Bamabound, rooms for move in but nothing beyond that. Could be a problem? What will we get to do or see that we don’t do at Bamabound weekend? Besides one great football game… :)</p>

<p>I feel your pain, crimsonmomtobe. The hotel costs did add up. We had not only Bama Bound, but Alabama Action, then a return after son got his laptop to set up docking station, furniture, then Family Weekend. We figured we could spring for it because of the good scholarship, but then the economy tanked, so it took us a while to pay it off.</p>

<p>But, they’re only in college once, and this time will be over in four years. Goes so quickly.</p>

<p>As for what you will see different, tailgating on the Quad. As stated before, never been to a college football game, so this was a new experience. Now, it was crowded, but son said that later games were even more packed, so might be a good weekend to go. Of course, all Bama football games are great, but usually, and I may be wrong, Parents Weekend is against a weaker team. Last year’s game was a blowout. So, relatively speaking, it may be a “boring” game. In other words, you won’t have to deal with the bigger crowds of the more competitive games, so you’ll enjoy the tailgating atmosphere more.</p>

<p>For us, a highlight of the weekend was the tour of the President’s Mansion. I don’t know if this is offered any other time. It was AMAZING! The artwork, the antiques, the history. Just gorgeous! So, between the tour of the President’s Mansion, tailgating on the Quad, the Family Lunch, it was a worthwhile experience for us, worth the money. And we missed, essentially, the pool party and the family breakfast at mass, so if you make those, you’ll have even more experience.</p>

<p>Also, since it’s a month in, if your son is doing Alabama Action, he might like the visit after one month away from home for the first time.</p>

<p>Oh, another added plus, if your child does do Alabama Action, he will likely not have roommates when you move him in. So, at Family Weekend, it will be your first chance perhaps to meet his roommates. Priceless for us. Set our minds such at ease to see the nice kids he was rooming with. Even got to meet the dad of one of his roommates, who also came down for the weekend, from Texas. As roommate issues will come up, good and bad, it helps to have a baseline and put a face to a name when talking with your son about his roommates.</p>

<p>What will we get to do or see that we don’t do at Bamabound weekend? Besides one great football game</p>

<p>Are you doing the “one day” BB that is on a weekend? Or are you doing an overnight BB that is during the week?</p>

<p>The Family weekend generally begins Friday afternoon and ends Sunday morning with local churches hosting brunches and such. </p>

<p>There is a 3 day agenda of tours, river cruises, bike trips, dept parties, tailgating, and a football game and perhaps another sport, etc. </p>

<p>I agree that the President’s Mansion tour is amazing. I don’t know if that’s offered any other time.</p>

<p>I wish Bama repeated what it did for my older son’s first Parents Weekend…it had a Daughtry concert on Friday night at Coleman Coleseum. It was very fun.</p>

<p>Last year’s “beach themed” pool party was also very nice and nicely catered. Mostly only younger siblings actually went in the pool, but there was a good group in the jacuzzi. The pool area is very pretty at night with its water sprays and other water features. </p>

<p>there was also a lot of “line dancing” going on with both parents and students participating. </p>

<p>I think I posted some pics on “Recent Photos”. </p>

<p>Last year was interesting because it was the San Jose (Calif) game. We met many of the Calif visitors (the opposing team always has a tent (or tents) for their own tailgating. The Californians were blown away by the campus, the spirit, etc. (Calif campuses are generally…well…ugly. LOL) More than one Calif family asked me how much it would cost to come from OOS, because their younger kids wanted to go to school here. When I told them the price, they were like, “that’s not much more than a UC costs”. So, they were totally fine with that. Plus, I told them about the scholarships. </p>

<p>The San Jose Athletic Director told me that altho they knew they were going to get “blown out” (LOL), it was an amazing opportunity for their team to play in B-D stadium and have a national TV audience…plus the opposing school gets paid about a million $ to add to its athletic fund. (So, that’s why some of these unranked teams love to come play highly ranked teams whose games are televised…Georgia St is coming to play again this fall).</p>

<p>So, if you have a chance, stop by the opposing team’s tailgate to welcome and chat.</p>

<p>You guys are so great! I appreciate the information.</p>

<p>I talked to H and we decided to go to parents weekend. Any recommendations on where to stay? I need to book rooms today. Thanks for the time information, now I know we can drive in on Friday if we needed to.</p>

<p>Reading the comments on scheduling - it looks like it is 4 weeks after move-in if they aren’t participating in Alabama Action? That would work out really well then. Our son is flying home the first weekend in October for a family event. Do we know when fall break would occur?</p>

<p>Also, what is the dress attire for family weekend and the games? Is blue jeans and a college t-shirt appropriate for parents as it is here or are the UA games more formal? What about the student? What about the rest of the attire for the weekend?</p>

<p>Montegut - thought about you this week. Surprised a hawk - both of us were shocked - not sure how that happened :slight_smile: He was in the back yard in/near our old shed. Was startled and thought that a bird lover would love to be that “up close and personal” !!! Then I realized he was after a snake - and both of them were looking at me. This gal remembered how to run fast! :)</p>

<p>Seriously everyone thanks so much for the information. You are greatly greatly appreciated!</p>

<p>[Student</a> Affairs | Parent Programs](<a href=“Family Weekend - Parent & Family Programs”>Family Weekend - Parent & Family Programs)</p>

<p>Below is a list of FAQs for Family Weekend 2011. Additional FAQs will be posted for Family Weekend 2011 as details are finalized. </p>

<p>When is Family Weekend?
Family Weekend will be held September 16-18, 2011. This is a great time to visit campus to see your student’s home away from home! Social and educational family-friendly programs are planned for the weekend so you and your family can enjoy campus and learn more about the University of Alabama.</p>

<p>How do I register for Family Weekend?
Family Weekend registration is available on the Office of Parent Programs Web site at parents.ua.edu. Registration will be available June 6 at 10 a.m. (CST) through August 26th at 5 p.m. (CST). No late registrations will be accepted.</p>

<p>What is the registration fee, and what does that include?
There is no fee to attend Family Weekend. By registering for Family Weekend, you are eligible to attend events hosted by various campus departments at no cost. However, Family Weekend packages can be purchased for a fee. A package includes your admission to participate in specific events hosted by Parent Programs and makes you eligible to purchase football tickets.</p>

<p>Do I have to purchase a package?
You do not have to purchse a package, however by registering for Family Weekend, you are eligible to attend events hosted by various campus departments at no cost. A package is also required for eligibility to purchase football tickets. You may purchase one football ticket per package.</p>

<p>What events can my student attend?
Your student is invited to attend all Family Weekend events with your family. All events are free for students (unless otherwise noted).</p>

<p>When should we plan to arrive? Do parents stay for the whole weekend?
Families are encouraged to arrive Friday afternoon so they can enjoy the many events planned for Friday. Events are scheduled for Friday, Saturday and Sunday, so plan to stay for the entire weekend if you can!</p>

<p>Where do I stay for Family Weekend?
Most parents make hotel reservations for the weekend. Certain hotels have agreed to block rooms for Family Weekend. Check out the accommodations page for more information. </p>

<p>How can I purchase tickets to the Family Weekend football game? Will they be mailed to me?
Football tickets for the North Texas football game can be purchased through the Alabama Ticket Office by using the promotional code you receive after purchasing the Family Weekend package. Tickets can only be purchased with a Family Weekend package. You may have the opportunity to purchase one football ticket with each package. After your purchase, you will be redirected to purchase football tickets, which will be mailed to the address provided. </p>

<p>How does my student get a ticket for the football game?
Student tickets for all football games are distributed online and available on their ActionCard. Depending on the package your student received, your student may or may not already have a ticket to the North Texas football game. Please check with them to see if they have a ticket to the Family Weekend game. Student tickets are located in the student section, which is in a different location in the stadium from the tickets that parents purchase. However, it is very typical for parents and students to enjoy the Pre-game lunch together and then meet up after the game. Your student should be able to meet his/her friends before entering the student section.</p>

<p>I want to sit with my student at the football game. What do I need to do?
In order to sit with your student at the football game, you must also purchase a Family Weekend package for him/her. Student tickets are located in the student section, which is in a different location in the stadium from the tickets that parents purchase. However, it is very typical for parents and students to enjoy the Pre-game lunch together and then meet up after the game. Your student should be able to meet his/her friends before entering the student section.</p>

<p>If I purchase a Family Weekend package, am I guaranteed a ticket?
Football tickets can be purchased as long as we have tickets available. We encourage you to purchase the package early to make sure you’ll get football tickets. Registration begins on June 6th at 10 a.m. (CST), we will post a notice on the Family Weekend web site once football tickets have sold out.</p>

<p>We have a family member in a wheelchair. Can we get around to all the events?
All events during Family Weekend are handicapped accessible, including the football game on Saturday. Visit gameday.ua.edu for accessible parking information and also information regarding Bryant-Denny Stadium.</p>

<p>Are refunds available?
All Family Weekend purchases are non-refundable.</p>

<p>I missed the Family Weekend registration deadline. What can I do?
Registration for Family Weekend closes on August 26th at 5 p.m. (CST). If you miss this deadline, we still encourage you to visit your student. Although some events are restricted to registered participants of Family Weekend, there are a variety of campus exhibits and additional events that are open to all families.</p>

<p>The time to book your hotel room is now.</p>

<p>Look upthread for suggestions.</p>

<p>The next date is June 6 to register for the activities. I can only guess that you need to register exactly when registration opens. It looks like you need to purchase the “package” to then purchase a football ticket.</p>

<p>Register for your package as soon as you can!</p>

<p>Clothing for the weekend is usually some kind of Bama shirt and shorts. Everyone will be in Crimson. It will likely still be hot, although last year, it did rain a bit during the day of the Penn State game (which was held at night on Sept 11th ).</p>

<p>Some girls/women will be in Bama sundresses. Those are any kind of red or houndstooth sundresses with sandals. here’s one of many examples… <a href=“http://www.gamedaygirlstuff.com/white-red-houndstooth-dress.html[/url]”>http://www.gamedaygirlstuff.com/white-red-houndstooth-dress.html&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;

<p>While not having the “activities” Family weekend has. I’d recommend waiting to visit your kid for a few more weeks. </p>

<p>If a football game is what you want to see then the Vandy game would be a better choice. For one it will be a whole lot cooler on Oct 8th than it will be Sept 17th. Secondly it will be a much better game and ticket prices won’t be that much higher. And thirdly (is that a word?) it will give your kids a bit more time to get to know the campus, make friends, and get in the swing of things before you visit. Plus it sort of breaks the semester up in half between the start of classes and when they’ll come home for Christmas.</p>

<p>If you don’t care about going to a football game then visiting during an off week in October would be much more enjoyable. Much better weather, much much cheaper hotel rooms, a lot easier to get in to campus area restaurants, and a lot easier to see the campus and town without 100K additional people crowding things up.</p>