Family Weekend Signature Events

<p>Has anyone attended the Family Weekend Signature Events in previous years? I am wondering if you have found them fun and/or informative - worth the time to attend?</p>

<p>My husband and son, specifically, never really enjoy these types of get-togethers with lots of people. (I’m more social and love being where the action is.) We have so little time this weekend with our son that we want to make the most out of the time - just wondering what your opinion has been of these events.</p>

<p>I feel that they will just want to enjoy some quiet time alone as a family - but I don’t want to miss something important at the events.</p>

<p>The Signature Events this year are a Beach Bash on Friday night and a Jazz Brunch on Sunday.</p>

<p>We have never attended and will not attend Beach Bash with our son. Freshman year, he was wiped out from lots of tests the previous week and just wanted to chill with his friends. We went over to the Beach Bash, but felt weird as most parents were with their kids. We also arrived late and there was not much food, so we just grabbed drive thru and went to the hotel to prepare for a long day the following day. </p>

<p>Sophomore year, last year, we didn’t even head over to the Beach Bash. </p>

<p>We did attend the Jazz Brunch, with son, after going to Mass, and really enjoyed it. The food was delicious and son was thrilled to get to eat at Fresh Foods on the weekend.</p>

<p>This year, we’re attending the Chocolate Festival, which I didn’t know about last year, and even though it cost extra, seemed it was for a good cause and I can’t pass up chocolate.</p>

<p>Seems this week, son has lots of tests and projects, so I will not be surprised if he wants to rest up on Friday and just meet us on the Quad on Saturday, though he may surprise me and want to have more together time. I did send him an email about the chocolate event and I haven’t heard any grumblings about that yet.</p>

<p>Here is a link of the events happening this weekend: [Parent</a> Programs](<a href=“http://www.parents.ua.edu/fwschedule.cfm]Parent”>http://www.parents.ua.edu/fwschedule.cfm)</p>

<p>I noticed an open house of for the President’s Mansion.</p>

<p>Can you just show up for the tour of the President’s Mansion? I don’t see any tickets to buy for it.</p>

<p>Yes, you just show up. There are many tours running back to back, so just get in a group that’s starting and start your tour! It does not take very long, but well worth it. Beautiful house, furniture, artwork. We really enjoyed it, and I highly recommend first time Parent Weekend attendees to go.</p>