Fantastic reception in Fort Worth

<p>I just got back from a Bama recruitment reception, and I thought it was really impressive. I’m a junior, and I didn’t know much about UA until I found the energy and enthusiasm on this forum. I signed up to go to the reception when the invitation came in the mail, and I was blown away. Dr. Witt and a huge number of faculty members, admissions officers, alumni, and parents of students were there, and I got to talk to a lot of them during the time we had for mingling (and eating! the food at the country club was fantastic!). I was especially excited when the president of the honors college spoke to me and told me about all the opportunities I could have as a pre-med, and gave me his business card so that I could make sure I schedule the right things when I get the chance to visit.
Now I’m sure a college probably isn’t worth a dang if they can’t even make themselves sound good in a short presentation, but it really felt above and beyond. I’ve never been to a presentation with so many people happy to talk about how great a school is. And they gave me a free t-shirt! That’s enough to get me saying, “Roll Tide!” no matter where I eventually choose to go to school.</p>

<p>Glad you enjoyed the reception. It was a great turnout and wonderful that Dr. Witt was there to speak. I was the parent speaker, and felt very honored to have that opportunity!</p>

<p>we had for mingling (and eating! the food at the country club was fantastic!)</p>

<p>Hey, you know how Southerners are…they have to feed you good food. :)</p>

<p>Glad you had a good time. Let us know if you want to visit the school and we’ll make sure you have an excellent visit. I have a pre-med son at Bama as well. :)</p>

<p>momofonly1, Thank you for your efforts. That is quite an honor and I’m sure you did a great job representing the parents of UA.</p>

<p>Mascot, you should schedule a visit if possible. If you thought the reception was great just wait until you visit the campus. </p>

<p>Roll Tide!!</p>

<p>Sounds like you already got a taste of the Bama vibe, Ineedamascot. Now come visit the campus! You’ll be impressed, I promise!</p>

<p>We are going to a reception tonight in Austin. Hope it’s a similar experience.</p>

<p>Momofonly1…wow…congrats!</p>

<p>RobinR…let us know how it goes. Hope you have a great time.</p>

<p>Attending the San Antonio reception tonite as well!</p>

<p>Thanks, mom2. I was very flattered to be asked and of course more than willing to share my opinions!</p>

<p>There was a reception in Dallas Monday and the one in Fort Worth Tuesday. Tonight there are receptions in San Antonio and Austin and they wrap up the Texas tour in Houston on Thursday. The admissions team really does a wonderful job with these events!</p>

<p>^ Hi Momofonly1 - long time no see on here! I’m sure you represented Alabama well :slight_smile: Roll Tide!</p>

<p>Hi AL34! Thanks, it was fun! I’m on here a lot, but don’t chime in that much. So glad our kids found such a great school and we found such a great support system!</p>

<p>Is there a calendar of these receptions anywhere? I’d love to attend one (we’re in the Chicago area). D visited Bama last month with H, but I didn’t go. Also, D had the Jami arranged visit, but didn’t get to meet any honors college faculty - would there be a chance of meeting any at this type of reception?</p>

<p>^ I don’t remember there being one in Chicago last year, if there was we missed it. Please feel free to PM me if you’d like to chat or meet, DS is a first-year Honors Engr. from Naperville.</p>

<p>After Georgia, Texas is Alabama’s largest OOS feeder. The Southern schools (Arkansas, Oklahoma, Auburn, etc.) are FEASTING on the great students UT cannot find room for due to the top 8% rule. They love that law, just love it! No wonder Dr. Witt comes to Ft. Worth – prime quality recruiting grounds.</p>

<p>…and it was very, very well done. There were roughly 400 people there…Cindy Wright the regional UA recruiter is awesome. She is so good at what she does and she cares about these kids deeply…UA is one of the best schools I have ever been exposed to from a recruiting standpoint. They make it special, personal and it is very targeted. </p>

<p>Our son is going to UA and is very excited. He recently wrote a paper on the Texas top 10% law (now top 8%)that could be published…it’s an insane law that is driving great kid’s into Alabama’s open arms…son is a top 10.5% kid with Presidential stats and U of Texas Austin treats those kid’s like a number. He decided to not even apply and the compass has been pointed toward Tuscaloosa since last year.</p>

<p>My wife and i couldn’t be more excited…we have been there twice, once for a game weekend…it’s a special place. Wouldn’t suprise me if our 10th grade daughter ends up there with him.</p>

<p>Roll Tide my friends…Roll Tide</p>

<p>^^^ Dr. Witt mentioned that last night!
For me, I’m not looking out of state because UT can’t find room for me, I am in the top 8%.
I’m looking for a school that doesn’t just HAVE to take me, but actually WANTS to take me. So much so that it will give me scholarship incentive to get me there. I think there are a lot of kids like me, who are also contributing to the high caliber of student that Texas loves to send to UA.</p>

<p>I think it’s so fantastic how many parents are in love with Alabama. My own parents were surprised that I was considering Bama at all, but I know my mom is already warming up to it. I think we’re all excited about visiting the campus, though it will be a while unitl we make it over there.</p>

<p>I tried talking online to one of the admissions counselors, but we had some technical difficulties.</p>

<p>She said that there isn’t a calendar with the list. She asked which city, and I said Chicago, but then we got disconnected and I haven’t been able to get back to her.</p>

<p>I really think Bama should have an online list/calendar somewhere.</p>

<p>Beth’s mom…yes…often there are some honors college people at these receptions.</p>

<p>*After Georgia, Texas is Alabama’s largest OOS feeder. The Southern schools (Arkansas, Oklahoma, Auburn, etc.) are FEASTING on the great students UT cannot find room for due to the top 8% rule. They love that law, just love it! No wonder Dr. Witt comes to Ft. Worth – prime quality recruiting grounds. *</p>

<p>Yes…Bama likes grabbing those Texas kids with top stats who just miss that 8% rule because they happen to attend a school with lots of other smart kids. I think some Calif kids are realizing this as well when they want a “flagship type” of school and they can’t get into their flagships either because of their % formulas. </p>

<p>Florida is also a big feeder to Bama. And, at some point, I can see Illinois becoming one as well.</p>

<p>UT treats all kids (and parents) like a number unless they are NMF or the like.</p>

<p>“UT treats all kids (and parents) like a number unless they are NMF or the like.”</p>

<p>I don’t even think that’s true. UT doesn’t offer any scholarships for NMF, and have hardly any merit scholarships at all. (Of course, I’ve never much liked UT, as my parents went to TAMU)</p>