Favorite higher level music camps/festivals?

Some summer music programs require that the participants be at the site 24/7. It’s not an option for parents to visit except on specific days and times. So…just check to make sure what you choose allows this…if it’s what you want.

1 Like

Thanks. BUTI sounds more and more like the way to go as I’m talking to various people. I read some pretty iffy reviews of Interlochen, so I’m hesitant there.

Do you happen to know anything about Brevard? I believe it’s all focused on piano but not sure. Saw a poster for it outside her teacher’s studio.

We wouldn’t be visiting, just in the area. I’m okay for her to do an overnight but not out of state or more than 1-2 hours from us.

Thank you! Wondering about Brevard as I’m seeing posters for it in her music school. I just spoke with someone who did BUTI and loved it.

Yes, do you know anything about it?

Not for piano, but a friend’s daughter is interested as well and I am hoping somebody who attended gives more detail of their experience.

1 Like

Indiana’s string program has not operated for about the past 3-4 years. They restarted up again this year. It’s hard to say anything about it since it is sort of new again. I know one pianist there in the piano program who is ~15/16 and seems to be enjoying it.

In the past, enjoyment was very studio-dependent for the string program. I don’t think you could do both the string and piano programs simultaneously, though.

1 Like

Can I ask how you know so much about these programs? Are you a professor? Parent of musician? Musician? Just curious :smile:

Lol, I played myself in high school and college so I attended several of them that way. My kids have applied and attended several as well. Beyond that, I pay attention and ask LOTS of questions from everybody in my kids’ precollege and scholarship programs about summer programs. Their scholarship program typically has one or more sessions where kids and parents talk about their experiences at various programs, so we get all the inside info on them each year.

2 Likes

Gotcha, thanks!