Favorite Part of L&C?

<p>To all current students, prospective students, and parents of students, what is the best thing about L&C?</p>

<p>I think DD2 loves the vitality of the campus. She attends sporting events (she never did in HS), poetry slams, musical events put on by the students, plays put on by students (particularly the one acts which are apparently put together in one day which makes them crazy). I’d have to say the location runs a close second - Portland a short ride away.</p>

<p>In addition to what Erin’s Dad said, I’d say small class sizes. S4 has good contact with his professors and as a result, got a TA job for a class lab and been recommended for various honors and scholarships. Compare this to a university with large classes, where the professor may not even know your name. Portland also offers many activities and the coast is a short drive away.</p>

<p>I’m new here and learning how to navigate these boards. If I want to add a post to a thread, I’m not sure whether to click on Post Reply (with the CC next to it), which appears like I’m starting a new thread, or to click on Reply in the last post in a thread, which might just be a reply to that person. </p>

<p>Anyway…Lewis and Clark is my daughter’s first choice among the colleges she’s been accepted to EA. My h and I are a little bit surprised, because she didn’t seem to fall in love with it when we were there. Maybe it’s because it was the end of a long day.</p>

<p>I would love to hear more from current parents or students about what they like about the school. This whole college app process has got me overly anxious, and it would be reassuring to hear good things about a school that my daughter will very likely attend.</p>

<p>Would also like to hear specifically about orientation and how well L&C supports the transition to college life.</p>

<p>Thanks you so much.
Karen in CA</p>

<p>As I said above, small class size is a big plus. It makes the transition easier versus a large university. I think students have more opportunities for internships and research.</p>

<p>As a parent, I liked that while the college is in a big city, the campus sits in a residential area, giving it a small community feel. The school has bus service to the downtown area, so students can take advantage of the big city. </p>

<p>The new student orientation and parents preview is completely geared to the separation of students from parents. As I recall, they started us together and then we separated for meetings joining back up for meals. They had special activities for students at night to keep them busy. On the final day, they have a Convocation ceremony, dinner and then we say good-bye. The remainder of the weekend, the students have many activities, keeping them occupied until classes start that Monday. </p>

<p>The dorms have area directors and RAs who are helpful and try to solve any issues the students might have. The key thing is that the student needs to talk to them. Parents can contact the area directors if they have any issues. </p>

<p>Check out L&C’s website. Go to Student Life and check the links on the right. You can see what they covered last year in the Parents & Families link.</p>

<p>^ This is what I remember as well.</p>

<p>Some of the best things about Lewis and Clark? The beautiful campus, the caring and responsive faculty and staff, small classes, friendly students, proximity to Portland (with free shuttle - takes about 25 mins). My DD1is very very happy there. I think she’d say the small downsides are that you can’t really walk to any services - well, she does walk to a grocery store but it’s a good 30 minute walk, about 1.5 miles. Gonna have to get her a bike, I guess! Freshmen aren’t allowed cars…not that we’d give her one! Also, while she loves her roommates and her dorm, conditions are crowded and the kitchen facilities in her dorm are quite poor. She finds the options for food on campus generally pretty good, and will be happier next year when there will be some changes to dining services which will improve hours and options. Mostly, again, she loves her fellow students, finds them interesting, diverse and friendly, has liked most of her teachers, has enjoyed the informal scene on campus that Erin’s Dad described, and loves the vibrant music, art, culture and food of Portland. She is looking forward to one of their study abroad programs - the strong international orientation was one of the big draws for her.</p>

<p>And as “akck” points out, the college also does a good job of orienting and responding to parent concerns. I thought the orientation and convocation were really well designed; it was good to have the head’s up on the mutual adjustments to the brave new world of having a college student! I also really appreciate their website, chock full of readily accessible information…and every time I’ve called someone with a question I’ve been answered promptly by a friendly and knowledgeable person. So I’m not begrudging the tuition (well, okay, a little bit)…it’s clearly a very well-run school. </p>

<p>Our DD1 had many options to choose from, which was fortunate, and some of them perhaps more prestigious or brand name options in some people’s minds, but I’m really glad she chose Lewis and Clark. She and we couldn’t be happier.</p>

<p>Thanks very much. So good to hear that your daughter loves the school. I’m curious to know which schools she turned down for L&C?
Karen</p>

<p>For my DD they were: Kenyon, Smith, Oberlin, Earlham.</p>

<p>Thanks for sharing that, Erin’s Dad. My daughter has also applied to Kenyon and Oberlin. My daughter’s peer group is a pretty high-achieving bunch, and many are hoping to go to very selective schools. My daughter says she is going to feel a bit embarrassed if she doesn’t get into some of her “reaches”. She knows it’s silly, but it’s hard not to get caught up in the hype. I’d be interested in knowing why your daughter chose L&C over Oberlin and Kenyon, in particular.<br>
Karen</p>

<p>Mainly due to cost, but partly due to the campus. She loves trees, green, and rain. That is Portland in a nutshell. Having a daily bus running downtown certainly helped (look up Powells books).</p>

<p>I have a son who graduated from L & C and another who graduated from Oberlin. I will say that Oberlin is definitely more intense academically than Oberlin. My Obie son was slightly stronger academically than his brother, graduating at the top of his class and a NM finalist. He says that he felt like he kind of felt in the middle of the pack academically at Oberlin. My L&C son was NM semi-finalist and in the top 10% of his class. He felt more like he was in the top third or so of his class mates at L & C. He is also much more laid back than his Obie brother. I think both boys found places that fit them very well and both had very positive experiences.</p>

<p>Thanks so much. It is great to have your unique perspective. Nice to know that each of your sons had a great experiences at the two different schools.</p>

<p>Karen in CA</p>