February 18th Notification for "Honors Eligible"?

<p>My D got the email that "Honors Eligible" students will hear on February 18th...is that GPA weighted or, more likely, unweighted?</p>

<p>The requirements are either:
3.5-3.69 UW GPA and atleast 620 CR, 600 M, and 1400 CR+M SAT
3.7+ UW GPA and atleast 620 CR, 600 M, and 1300 CR+M SAT</p>

<p>if ACT instead of SAT: Atleast 3.5 UW GPA and atleast 29 composite, 27 English, and 26 Math</p>

<p>my school only reports weighted so does that mean tech will figure it out with their own formula</p>

<p>^ Probably, yes. Many high schools, including mine, have funky grading systems for even unweighted gpa, and vtech and other schools should have a way to level the gpa system.</p>

<p>I applied to VT for class of 2013, and I actually already got my letter in the mail asking me to apply for the Honors College-it came last Thursday, which I guess was January 22. The deadline for applying (and being considered for Honors scholarships and honors housing) says the application has to be postmarked by February 10th, so I feel like February 18th seems a little late...</p>

<p>What are the major benefits of Honors program? My D was also invited to apply for it last week.</p>

<p>Do you just have to be ELIGIBLE for honors or APPLY to honors to hear back on Feb. 18?</p>

<p>The only real benefit of the Honors program, from what I've been able to determine, is preferential scheduling (I think they run your course request before everyone elses.) I've never talked to anyone who really thought that the honors program that freshmen are eligible for is worth it, and most people get kicked out/leave by the end of sophomore year. I was eligible but after looking at the work required versus benefits decided not to do it and I've never looked back and wished that I had to have a minor/take special classes/etc.</p>

<p>CHUY-</p>

<p>Son got the letter too. Do you know the merit info for OOS honors vs no honors?</p>

<p>He does not want honors and personally, from what I read, he'll have enough work to do in engineering that he does not need honors in anyway. Also, like you said, if we rely on any merit money from this, it is unlikely engineering students will keep their GPA high enough to maintain it and end up paying much more.</p>

<p>Your thoughts are similar to mine. Just curious about the merit honors will offer as I don't think they are known for good merit aid for OOS.</p>

<p>Thanks once more!</p>

<p>If he's doing engineering and doesn't really want to do honors there is no way he'll be able to stay in. I only know a couple people in engineering (which I'm in) that are still in it. I've got no clue as to how much merit aid you get for honors, I never was actually in it.</p>

<p>Thanks Chuy. You are always a big help.</p>

<p>I am not pushing him to do honors at VT or anywhere else. For engineering, I don't think it's necessary anyway. Nice to be asked though and I expect he'll be admitted. Some good privates in the running which we are pretty sure will offer merit.</p>

<p>Some colleges do have very good honors programs though, what I'm saying only applies to VT. And yeah, I think most anyone will find engineering challenging enough,</p>

<p>Back to a previous question- My friend who is honors eligible got a call from Mildred Johnson regarding an email and told her she would be notified only by the 20th.</p>

<p>Letter came today. The application deadline on the letter was February 28.</p>

<p>My son's acceptance letter came yesterday, 2/23. It asked that he apply to the honors program and said they would be sending a package in the mail in regard to that. What struck me the most about the letter, is that there were three grammatical errors.</p>

<p>My D get a letter of acceptance to the honors program today.</p>

<p>Congrats! When did she send her application in? S sent his on 2/10.</p>

<p>I sent my app in today, the due date. </p>

<p>I plan to visit the campus in March.</p>

<p>Most honors programs have some sort of additional scholarship money attached. Does anyone already in the program know if VT awards additional monies for Honors?</p>

<p>I'm OOS and qualify for Pell, if that makes a difference.</p>

<p>Oh, congrats to gnehc's D!</p>

<p>She send her in a few weeks ago. She got a letter inviting to apply.</p>

<p>BTW She also got an offer of $3000.</p>