Filling out FAFSA when a parent [has no SSN/TIN and] does not live in the U.S [other parent in the US filed US income tax as head of household]

but the school said that H of H is only for unmarried people, therefore, they said the easiest way is to get my dad’s tax amended

Yeah, the school is wrong. Usually that’s true, but not always. You may need to ask to speak with a manager, preferably the manager in charge of training. Have your dad complete the questionnaire in @ucbalumnus’ post and screenshot each step, then submit that to the school.

Try doing a Zoom chat. If they aren’t helpful, you may want to contact the resolution center: Financial Aid Student Resolution Center | Houston Community College - HCC.

2 Likes

the result was “married but filing separate”… I think my dad’s accountant filed the tax wrong. I’m not sure if she whether or not put my dad as “married” in the papers. I asked her on the day I received my school email, she said that it was because my mom is not in the States and does not have SSN.

so that our family can get more money i guess?

Your father fits the criteria for when a married person can file as head of household, because he fits the description of a married person who can be considered unmarried for head of household purposes. This is from an IRS training document (https://apps.irs.gov/app/vita/content/globalmedia/4491_filing_status.pdf):

“Who can be “considered unmarried” for Head of Household?

Married taxpayers may be “considered unmarried” and file as Head of Household if they:
• File a return for the tax year separate from their spouse.
• Paid more than half the cost of keeping up their home. See the Worksheet for Cost of Keeping Up a Home in the Volunteer Resource Guide.
• Lived apart from their spouse during the entire last six months of the tax year. The spouse is considered to have lived in the home even if temporarily absent due to special circumstances, such as military service or education.
• Provided the main home for more than half the year of a dependent child, stepchild, or foster child placed by an authorized agency. This test is also met if the taxpayer cannot claim the exemption only because the noncustodial parent can claim the child using the rules described in Publication 17.”

As for the letter about your mother, you just have to say that she lives in Vietnam full time, and she is a Vietnamese citizen.

3 Likes

kelsmom has it right and the school is wrong, if you were told that a married person cannot file as head of household. Based on the facts presented, it appears that your father was allowed to file as head of household under IRS rules and regulations.

2 Likes

Here’s what I suggest: Have your father write a letter (or write it for him & have him sign it) that explains why he is allowed to file head of household, and include a printout of the IRS training document I linked to, with the part I quoted highlighted. Write something like this:

“I filed as head of household for tax year 2021 because I was “considered unmarried” for tax purposes. According to the enclosed IRS document, I met the criteria because my wife didn’t live with me during the final six months of 2021; in fact, she has never lived in the United States. I also met the other requirements for filing as head of household.

My wife isn’t able to get a letter from the IRS stating that she didn’t file taxes in 2021 because she has never lived in the U.S., doesn’t have a social security number and is not in any IRS database. She lives in Vietnam. In 2021, she earned $ (you need to enter her earnings here), converted from Vietnamese dong to U.S. dollars as of today’s conversion rate.”

I suggest setting up a Zoom call with a financial aid officer to let them know that you will be sending this letter. Explain that you were told by the financial aid office that your father has to amend his taxes, but that after looking into the situation, it appears that your father was able to file as head of household and should not be required to amend his taxes in order for you to receive financial aid. If the person with whom you speak insists that your father has to amend his taxes, ask to speak with the person’s supervisor.

4 Likes

@hauphm23, how are things going?

I brought the letter to the school and talk to the finance office, he was like “why did your dad file HoH when he’s married”, then I explained the situation to them, and then he was like “I’m not a tax expert” and keep repeating that my dad filed the tax wrong. But after a while of talking back and forth, the guy called someone, then that person asked for my mom’s letter. The guy told me he would submit this letter and it will take around 4-6 weeks for the final answer.

1 Like

sorry for the late update :frowning:

I’m glad that the person you spoke with checked with someone who (hopefully) had a better understanding of your family’s situation. It sounds like things will be fine. Be sure to watch for any communications from the school in your school email and/or student portal. Please let us know when everything gets finished - we always like hearing about the final outcome!

thank you so much for your help! i would keep you updated asap!! you have a geat day :slight_smile:

1 Like

Good evening!! Sorry for the late update. I really appreciate your help. Thanks to you and other people in the comment, I was able to successfully complete my FAFSA for school!! Thank you so much!!

7 Likes

I’m so happy to hear that!