Film School: how do you choose once accepted?

D23 decided on Boston University yesterday. She feels really good about her decision. Ultimately a conservatory style program would not have allowed her to study abroad a semester or explore her other interests. She feels BU will give her the kind of college experience she is looking for

It looks like that our students are going where they were supposed to. I’m happy to see that after this long and stressful process everyone finds its home!

My son is down to Emerson and Fordham for Film. He really loves NYC so that is making the decision tough for him. If Emerson were in NYC it would be an easy decision. We visited both last week and he loved both. The film program at Fordham seemed a bit disconnected between the Visual Arts program and the Film and Television program.

1 Like

My D was advised to make a pros and cons list. I think it helped. At the end of the day I think they will be things that they wanted in another institution that they wont have in the one they choose, this is the reason of all the hesitation. But once the decision is made, they still feel relieved and happy. :smile:

2 Likes

At least a week a way from D’s decision. Her and her dad are flying down to UNCSA to visit next Thursday and we are still waiting for decisions from Emerson and Chapman on our financial aid appeals. So it’s still Emerson, Chapman, Ithaca and UNCSA.

Her high school is having their decision day next Friday because AP exams are scheduled for May 1 and we only have apparel for one school, Emerson, which I think says a lot. We are going to order hats tonight on Amazon for Ithaca and Chapman, and if she thinks UNCSA is the one on her visit, she’ll buy something down there.

3 Likes

A pros and cons list helped my daughter decide between Boston University and Purchase College. We discussed how no school
Is going to check off all the boxes but when she saw that the main draw to Purchase was the conservatory style program and that BU offered other opportunities academically and socially while still having a highly program, she realized it made more sense to commit to BU.

If the only draw to Fordham is location, that may not be a strong enough reason to choose it.

We live right outside NYC ( not far from the Bronx and the Fordham campus) and my D23 really enjoyed Boston. There is lots to do.

1 Like

Son made the decision today to attend Emerson. The strength of the film program relative to Fordham outweighed the desire to be in NYC. We enjoyed the process and think he made a great decision.

5 Likes

My son is agonizing over decision for film production undergrad - got into Depaul, Temple, Columbia Chicago, UW Milwaukee, Ball State, Xavier, and waitlisted at Ithaca. It looks to be Temple and DePaul for final 2 but he’s torn. Would love any info if anyone has some - thanks!

Take DePaul for the win. Fantastic facilities.

Did you visit Temple? Not even close and it’s Philly. We’re from PA. S21 didn’t apply after visiting. His final three were DePaul, SCAD Atlanta and FSU.

We are down to Emerson and UNCSA. D and husband had a great visit to North Carolina on Thursday. We did not hear from Emerson’s financial aid on Friday because they said they had an emergency but we will hear in the morning according to the assistant director. The COA is $13k more for Emerson. We went through the numbers with D and told her that regardless of what else we receive from Emerson, it is her decision and we will support her, including financially. She says if she gets more money from Emerson, she will commit there; if not, she is happy to attend UNCSA.

1 Like

So the decision will be made tomorrow !

D has committed to Emerson for Media Arts Production. Although in the end we told her it was her choice to make regardless of whether we received additional financial aid, her decision was made easier by Emerson coming through today with an additional merit scholarship, for which we are truly grateful.

3 Likes

That’s super!