Final MT Decisions Background - Class of 2024

@AbigCurveBall I balked at first. It’s a half hour or so from our house, the local school is 5 minutes. People move to our town to go to that high school, lol. But the environment is toxic due to the grinding academics and the performing arts were struggling. So when I thought about the extra training she’d get and the much more inclusive environment we made the decision to audition. It was more than worth it. She made wonderful new friendships and the training, faculty and other intangibles made a big difference.

For those wondering about length the two posts were about 3 1/4 pages single spaced in Word.

Congrats to all the kids and parents out there! I really want to thank all the parents on here, both those I’ve interacted with and those I have just been following =) We had the mindset of “waiting till you get in” to visit colleges and boy, did that not work out so well! Given that fact, I really do not know what I would have done without all the valuable information I gained from parents who have visited schools we were considering or have current students at the schools. My son also appreciated all the input from everyone and it helped us fill in our decision making spreadsheet.

My son’s journey started when he was little, but not in a professional way. He always loved to sing. He sang on stage for the first time at the school talent show in 4th grade without any training. He joined the school choir in middle school but mainly was into wrestling and martial arts during that time. Freshman year he signed up for drama as an elective, and he decided to try out for the spring musical that is a joint effort between our town’s two large high schools. He ended up getting the part of Nicely-Nicely Johnson in Guys and Dolls and that was it! He fell in love with musical theater and never looked back!

He began to take private vocal and acting lessons. Junior year he started performing in various community theater productions, community college productions, and even an opera. He had many wonderful roles from lead parts to ensemble. He learned and grew so much from each experience and got better with each show. He also made friends with several wonderful mentors in the local theater community who lead him to his current amazing vocal coach and other opportunities. We could see how hard he worked and how passionate he was about theater that there was no doubt this was to be the career path for him.

Senior year, he applied to only 5 of his top choice colleges. He was very independent and self motivated, so his Dad and I did not get very involved in the process as we wanted to let him guide his own path. He was called back to 3/5 schools-Penn State, Pace and Manhattan School of Music. He auditioned at Chicago Unifieds. He was rejected from all 3 schools. It was disappointing for him, but a good learning experience. He realized 1- He needs to apply to more schools with safeties as well as reaches, 2- dance was really a weak point for him in auditions. He had not taken any formal dance lessons at this point, and 3-sometimes life just doesn’t work out the way you hoped but there is always room to grow and new opportunities to be had. He decided to take a gap year and take many dance classes! He has spent the last year working including a job teaching music to kids for a local theater program, performing in a couple shows, and getting ready for the second round of college auditions!

He sent audition tapes this year to 12 schools and was called back to 10. Forgive me, I can’t remember all of them for sure. He did not pass pre-screens this year for Pace (we heard if they see you once…), or Carnegie Mellon. He auditioned at unifieds in Chicago for U of Arizona, U of Utah, U of Michigan, Emerson, U of Oak, Hartt and walk in for U of Miami. LA unifieds he auditioned for Syracuse, Ithica, and NYU. He went to Elon for an on campus audition, and decided to withdraw from on campus Kent state audition.

This year when he got his first MT acceptance, he was ecstatic; “Mom I’m going to college for musical theater no matter what!!” He was accepted into U of Utah, U of Arizona, Hartt, and Syracuse- all for MT. He was also waitlisted for NYU and Emerson. His gap year and hard work had paid off (I hope this gives some kids deciding on this path some hope).

It has been a difficult decision to make as all of the schools are excellent choices with a lot to offer. We did not get the chance to see any of them in person and they are all out of state for us so that did present a challenge. My son had his front runner from the start, but I encouraged him to explore all options thoroughly. The zoom calls with students and faculty really helped narrow it down as well as all the great information I got on CC (son joined CCP on FB too)!

Final decision is Syracuse University! The school just really stood out as far as opportunities both in the MT program as well as on campus at large. S was just loving the vibe from the current student group on social media-everyone is so friendly! The school really had everything he was looking for-conservatory program at large university, opportunity for equity work, collaboration with film and acting majors, and senior semester in NYC working with industry professionals.

I am excited to see what the future holds for all of our talented kids. BAL to everyone!!

Congratulations @RVCVRN1 ! Great gap year success story! Best of luck to your S.

@RVCVRN1 congrats !!!What a great story. Welcome to Orange Nation? We did the admitted drama dept virtual session the other night and that made my daughter even more excited!

Congratulations @RVCVRN1 !

Congratulations @RVCVRN1 ! I am sure it is that much sweeter after the gap year. So I am curious - was Syracuse his “front runner” from the beginning? What a great school. Congrats again!

@RVCVRN1 congrats, every story and every path is so different…thats what makes them so great!!

Congrats @RVCVRN1 ! Great choices, and so glad he found his perfect place!

Congrats @RVCVRN1 ! So glad your S stuck to his goal and found his future home. I am sure he will thrive there.

Congratulations to your S, @RVCVRN1 !!! What a real “success story” - he took the hit from year 1 and kept going… and what a great result. Syracuse is an amazing program, so very very happy for him and I’m sure you guys are ecstatic!

Wonderful outcome - congrats, @RVCVRN1 !

@RVCVRN1 Great story of Persistence. Thanks for sharing and Congrats.

Congrats @RVCVRN1 ! Love the story - so encouraging to all of those considering a “do-over” gap year next year. Glad he’s landed in a fabulous match!

Congratulations @RVCVRN1 ! Love to hear your S landed somewhere he feels great about. And kudos to you for supporting the gap year. Sounds like he will thrive with all the new opportunities!

Go Cuse!! Congratulations @RVCVRN1 - awesome story & program!!

Congrats @RVCVRN1! Thank you for sharing your story!

Having only just found CC and this forum for MT, it has been amazing to see so much support and care shown for all those (students, parents, mentors, teachers) who are on board this collective adventure. I’m really grateful to everyone that has shared insights, offered congratulations and words of encouragement, not just for my S and our family but for everyone. This is a very long post but I hope one that might help others out there. If you don’t want to read the whole thing…it has a happy ending.

So here goes…

Programs Applied to: AMDA, BoCo, Carnegie Mellon, CCM, Emerson, Michigan, Point Park, Marymount Manhattan, Northwestern, Pace, NYU-Tisch, Brown, UVA, W&M, VCU

Prescreens: BoCo, Carnegie Mellon, CCM, Emerson, Michigan, Point Park, Marymount Manhattan, Pace

Passed: all (Emerson - redirected to Theater and Performance BFA)

Did not pass: n/a

Auditions: NY Unifieds + NYC / Michigan (on campus)

Accepted to: AMDA, BoCo, CCM, Emerson, Point Park, NYU-Tisch, UVA, W&M

Withdrew: VCU

Rejected from: Carnegie Mellon, Michigan, Pace, Northwestern, Brown

Wait-listed at: Marymount Manhattan

Coach: Voice teacher since 11th grade

Summer Programs: None

Background:

S has been a musical kid from a very early age. As a toddler he was always singing a little tune, often to himself while he played, read books, anything really. He was busy creating his own sound track. He was a precocious kid (probably a similar story for many of our MT children) and loved hamming it up for friends and family.

He began singing in the children’s choir of our church when he was still in KG. The rule was you had to be able to read and as soon as he could do that, he was there. My wife and I vividly remember the music director pulling us aside after one of the weekly practices. He told us… “you need to keep him singing…get him a voice teacher, he’s got real talent.” We thought… that’s nice but this kids like 6 years old.

Singing continued in school and church but right after S’s 1st grade year our family embarked on a nomadic adventure when I joined the Foreign Service. Suddenly were were moving thousands of miles away for a two year assignment. 2/3 grade. Then back to the U.S. for training (4th grade), then overseas again for another two years (grades 5&6) and then back for two (7th/8th) but separated for one of those years by a hardship tour for me. Finally… high school has been spent overseas.

Throughout all the moves and all the different international schools or more familiar schools at home in VA, reading, singing and sports were his constants. School choirs and plays + a bit of community theater were the main outlets. You never had to ask the kid if he wanted to participate, he just did. District honor choirs, all state choirs, international school music festivals and at one point playing four sports in a year, straight A student. And much to his family’s chagrin, succeeding with seemingly little effort. In the last years he taught himself to play guitar and piano. I’ve been trying to learn how to play guitar for 15 years!

But at the heart of it all was a passion for performing for others, making an audience feel something, giving them joy or hope or moving them in some way. In several of his essays he wrote about the moment he knew he wanted to pursue MT… he and I were sitting on our couch in 2016 watching the Tony Awards. As LMM was giving his incredible “love is love is love is love…” speech S turned to me and said, “Dad, that’s what I want to do.” He wasn’t even 14 yet.

The Great Musical Theater Applications Adventure:

Flash forward to summer of 2019. Epic road trip to visit almost 10 different schools because S was heading back overseas for his senior year. How did he decide which schools? Well… he came across Playbill U’s 2018-2019 ranking of alumni on Broadway and despite me pleading with him to understand that there were tons of great programs out there he refused to budge… even when confronted with the fact that LMM went to Wesleyan.

He heads back overseas with his mom and younger sister. I start my new job in DC… not wanting to move him during his final year meant we would be apart again but it was the right thing to do.

Pre-screens? What are those? We really had very little idea of what we were doing and in the midst of his final year of the IB program, playing Tony in his school’s production of WSS and everything else, we get to Nov. 30 / Dec. 1 and are frantically pulling together all his pre-screen material working on two different continents six hours apart.

Next… hearing that many schools were interested but, unfortunately all their audition slots were full. What? We had made plans to attend NY unifieds and figured that would be the most efficient. It ended up being that way but only after tons and tons of juggling, pleading emails, etc. He almost ended up dropping his audition to CCM b/c he couldn’t get an audition with Pace.

Jan. 15, 2020. He flies in to JFK, I come up from DC. Six days in NYC and, for me, the terror began. The staggering level of talent and the sheer number of kids auditioning has me saying (to myself), maybe he should have applied to more schools. This is where not understanding the process started to cause me to wish I had known about CC much sooner. I had already struggled with the tiny class sizes in MT and the enormous applicant pools, but now we were not only hearing, but also seeing the odds. And I was getting scared.

S basically had the time of his life. An even keel punctuated with a few choice moments of freaking out like “Why didn’t I quit sports in 9th grade to focus on dancing?” “Umm, because you love sports and would have refused?” He did 7 auditions in 6 days (NYU, BoCo, Emerson, CCM, PPU, Pace and CMU). That seemed like a huge amount until I talked with other parents. And finding out that people were applying to 12, 15, 20 programs, again had me really worried.

But looking back, I took two things away from the experience. People in the MT world, even when stressed, can be really kind. And, more importantly, my S had found his people. Lots of small international schools and 8 years of being somewhat disconnected from “home” meant that he’d never really been around a lot of kids with the same passion, the same dedication, the same outlook on life. To see him smiling, laughing and connecting. My goodness what a gift. To any of you who were there… or your kids… thank you.

NY Unifieds are over and I put S back on a plane to Europe. We were both sad but knew that in less than a month we would see each other again. He was lucky to get past the Michigan prescreen and we flew him back over for the on campus audition Feb 21. He arrives on the 17th and as he’s unwinding from a long day of travel when he gets an email from CCM. It was a YES. He was in shock, me too. Seeing a dream become a reality is a beautiful thing.

Michigan was a great experience and a painfully quick no. Then a yes from PPU, a no from CMU, yes from Emerson, no from Pace, Northwestern, Brown. We waited a while more for decisions to come in from BoCo and NYU-Tisch, both yes. Also his in-state school options UVA and W&M (BA Theater) both yes.

Then comes the difficult part… the discussion on finances. Everyone is on some part of this spectrum and we needed some support, like most. S has always been mature beyond his years and he said… “look, I don’t know if I will get a job in MT when I graduate and I don’t want end up with huge debt” CCM was generous with their support and quick to connect current students with admitted students. At the end of the day, after a really long journey, the decision was made.

Final Decision: CCM

Congratulations, @RVCVRN1!

@7Heartsong3 @RVCVRN1 Congrats to your Sons and your families! Take a deep breathe… It’s time to CELEBRATE!

Congrats to your S and you @7Heartsong3 ! Love the story. I can’t imagine trying to go to attend auditions from overseas! So glad he found his people and his place. I am sure he will fluorish there!