Final MT Decisions Background - Class of 2024

Congrats, @modanbsmt001! Great outcome, but sharing the stage with the ex? Rough, especially on top of everything else.

Congratulations @modanbsmt001! Best wishes to your D for a great college career.

My S had to share the stage this past fall with a fresh breakup… had to do some his best acting. ?His take away is to not date your co-workers. We’ll see how that goes ?.

Thank you @Loganator and @prarie ! I did tell that her this role would definitely test her acting skills. They actually only did one performance due to COVID but the ex continues to cause her problems. She was happy to go to online school so she could get away from him. She has moved on and really grown as an individual which was a very positive outcome. I firmly believe that things sometimes happen for a reason.

Congratulations @modanbsmt001 ! Great to read another wonderful final decision post. Thanks for sharing!

Congrats @modanbsmt001!

Oh, and @modanbsmt001 sorry about the breakup; exact same thing happened to my D junior year and it was awful. I can’t imagine having to go through that heartbreak and stress this year on top of auditioning. She’ll get through it!

@modanbsmt001 wow, sounds like it was an exhausting year! Congrats to your D on Temple, my D loved them too! Great program and a great value, too.

@modanbsmt001 Thank you for taking the time to post about your daughter’s journey; these journeys are so helpful to everyone! I’m sorry your daughter had to deal with a break-up on top of applying to MT programs, but I’m glad she’s found her spot!

@modanbsmt001 What a journey! Everyone seems to have their own unique challenges and adversity but they just push through. So great! The process is so demanding and it’s great for others to read / learn about reality. We kind of knew but had no idea if that makes sense. These stories bring it all to life and really touch one where they live.

Rooting for all these kids to make it. Lord knows they deserve success!

1 Like

@rickle1 I agree with you. No matter how well you plan you should expect some unexpected twists and turns. We certainly had our fair share of them. I do believe the all the kids doing this should be commended. It is definitely not the easy route to take. However, I believe in the end they will come out stonger as individuals. I am also rooting for all of them.

Congrats @modanbsmt001 ! My daughter will be an MT Freshman at the University of the Arts next year so our girls will be neighbors!

Congrats, @modanbsmt001 !! Thank you for sharing your story - your poor daughter dealing with a heartbreak in the middle of audition season! If audition season builds character, that extra curve-ball gave her a double dose. I hope she is in a healing place and looking forward to her next step.

Thank you @tsamuique ! She is much better now. She really came into her own through all of this. She can’t wait to get to school and get started.

I say this every year… I envy all of you who are about to embark on a wonderful college journey with your kiddos (envy now that the misery of auditioning is over, lol!). My D worked her butt off but loved her MT experience. There were tears at times, but plenty of laughter and life-long friends were made. It was a joy to watch her performances – I was lucky to live close enough to do it – and note how much she’d grown as an artist and a person. ENJOY these next four years; they will go by in a flash!

Did @Onette ever post on where her two students ended up?

I don’t believe so; she was going to report on one of the students I believe, when she got clearance, and the parent of the other student was going to cover her son or daughter.

@BeBop1 - she should soon. I know they are finalized. We exchanged notes yesterday. Was glad she got to see my D in her last show this weekend. Zoom quality was terrible, but the vids I recorded were pretty great. Weird seeing ‘Carrie’ performed in COVID masks, but kids made it work.

@StanfordAI2019 I’m so glad your daughter got to work on something creative this summer!

@BeBop1 LOL!! I’m still here!! (Oddly, your post didn’t tag/notify me? for some reason) I started writing up my student’s final decision post and it is HUGE!!! Not quite finished, but I told him he could approve it first because much of it is personal and there may be things he wishes not to share. He is shipping off to school August 20, so I will have it up before that. Both students are excited about heading off to school…but also worried (just like every college student in the country now). I am also helping some kids prepare for the College Audition Prep Weekend this coming weekend, so I have (virtually) busy with that!! I miss this place and when things start cranking up again, it will be different because virtual, but hopefully a lot of the familiar faces won’t disappear!

This may very well be one of the longest Final Decisions ever posted…apologies in advance!! But…there was a lot to say!

Sooooo…I apologize for the delay in writing this but a lot of things “happened” in May through July. Some in regards to his college acceptance below and some late acceptances and some hard decisions. I also am heavily involved with a program called Destination Imagination, where I am a volunteer at several levels. That entire program did a 180 this year and moved the international level to “virtual” with summer due dates, so I have been a little underwater the last few weeks! But, I had many messages and requests for this, so here goes!

This is for the young man I had been working with, Thomas. The young woman’s mom is now on here, so I think she would like to respond with her story!

Programs applied to and/or auditioned for: Ball State – Acting, Ball State - MT, CCM, Emerson, Florida State, Hartt, LIU Post, Millikin, Molloy/CAP 21, Nebraska Wesleyan, Ohio Northern University, Rider, Otterbein, Pepperdine – Acting, Shenandoah – MT, TCU Acting, TCU MT, Temple, Texas State, Texas Tech, University of Alabama – Acting, University of Alabama – MT, Missouri State, University of Texas at Arlington, University of Central Oklahoma, Utah, University of Northern Colorado, UW-Stevens Point Acting, UW-Stevens Point MT, Western Michigan (and many, many others who were at CAP group auditions in Atlanta and NTDA auditions in Dallas)

Prescreens: Passed all prescreens submitted / Did not pass live prescreens for Rider and Shenandoah in person

Withdrew and did not complete callbacks for: University of Arizona, University of Northern Colorado – MT (Although he really loved the director there but just got overwhelmed with too many applications for honors programs, colleges and financial aid).

Rejected: Texas State, Missouri State, Ball State – MT, CCM, Florida State, Otterbein

Rejected, then Accepted after: Hartt, TCU MT

Status Unknown: Emerson (never got a decision from them)

Waitlisted: Alabama MT (then accepted)

Final Acceptances (all MT unless otherwise stated): Ball State – Acting, Hartt, LIU Post, Millikin, Molloy/CAP 21, Nebraska Wesleyan, Ohio Northern University, TCU Acting, TCU MT, Temple, Texas Tech, University of Alabama – Acting, University of Alabama – MT, University of Central Oklahoma, University of Utah, UW-Stevens Point Acting, UW-Stevens Point MT, Western Michigan PLUS additional acceptances for Baylor, University of Texas at Arlington, Pepperdine – Acting, University of Northern Colorado – Acting, Arcadia, Rowan, Austin Peay University .

Coach: Myself, Tracy Jordan’s College Mock Auditions and CAP. I helped with the song choices, cutting the music, finding the right monologues, cutting them and helping put it all together. Some of the young women in the theatre group of kids I work with took him to “shop” and up his style game (this was super helpful…LOL) and choose some audition outfits. CAP provided some coaching to get him ready for the auditions.

Summer programs: None

Background: I first met this young man at 14 when he came through an audition for a summer play I was directing in the DFW area. His resume was empty. One tiny role in Oklahoma (“The Peddler”), but this production was a British panto of Peter Pan and improv was an important part of it. I was so blown away by his audition, that he got one of the leads in the production (Captain Hook). This caused some issues for me with the producer (who believed he was too inexperienced to be cast), but one thing I know is when I see that “something”…and this kid had it. That show went on to be named one of the three best youth shows of the summer by the Dallas Morning News theatre critic and what I saw that was “something” during the audition exploded over the summer. By the time the show went up in August, he was one of the leaders for the cast. He worked with the younger actors and constantly brought amazing ideas to the table for the improv portions. He also was usually the first one there and the last one to leave. He would stay and help clean the theatre. I remember I was so worried about him on his bike late at night, peddling home at midnight.

During this show, he had a few group singing roles and one solo. It was all in British dialect and he insisted he couldn’t sing. So, I let him speak-sing the song. I tend to trust actors when they freely offer that singing isn’t one of their skillsets! (Learned my lesson with this one!) Comedy, character acting and improv were definitely his strong suit!! I have seen few adult actors who can do long form improv as well as this kid!

CONTINUED —>