Finalizing College App List - More needed?

My son is finally getting ready to send his college applications. I just wanted to check his list to see if it’s good for reach/match/safeties.

His Stats:
UC/CSU GPA: 4.15w / 3.92uw (Cal Poly 4.05w)
ACT: 31
ELC: Yes
Rigor: Not as much as it could have been. 3 APS, 3 Honors (plus 2 that were H in HS, but not for UC)
EC: 4 years HS baseball, 4 years travel club baseball, Senior Club, Math Tutor (1 yr), Some work and volunteer, but nothing to get excited about.

College List:
UCSD, UCSB, UCD, UCI, UCR, possibly UCM
Cal Poly SLO, Cal Poly Pomona

He already sent his apps for the two Cal Polys (civil Engineering both). Engineering or Math/Statistics at each of the UCs.

He’s very heavily UC slanted in his apps, and I know the acceptance for those can be unpredictable. We looked at a few private colleges, but he’s not interested. Oddly, he liked the UCR campus much better than UCSD.

If he is in the top 9% of his HS class or top 9% in-state (ELC eligible), then there is no reason to apply to UCM and pay the extra $70. If he is not accepted into any UC’s of his choice, he will be offered a spot at UCM. He has a good mix of Reach/Match and Safeties. I would add your local CSU as a definite safety (if his major is available) and drop UCM.

Good luck to him.

Thank you for your response Gumbymom. I understand that UCM would accept him if he did not get into any of the other UCs he applies to and he is ELC. However, does that mean that they would send him an acceptance (and possible financial offer) even if he IS accepted to one or more of the other UCs? I know that UCM is the least popular UC, but I can see a possibility of him actually choosing it over at least one of the other UCs and would at least want to see what they would offer him.

Our local CSU is Channel Islands, and they are very new and offer almost nothing in STEM-related fields, so he won’t apply there. I think it’s seen as the Merced of the CSU system at the moment. I’m sure it will earn a better rep - we live in a beautiful area!

There usually is not much difference in FA between each UC campus unless there is some merit aid included in the package. With his Stats, he may get some merit aid from UCM, so it would be a good idea to apply directly.
Your son also has a good chance for a merit scholarship at UCR based on his stats. My younger son was offered the Chancellor’s scholarship at $5000/year with a lower GPA and same ACT score and since he likes the UCR campus, it would be a nice incentive.

I agree the Channel Islands needs to grow in reputation like UCM. 10 years from now, both campuses may be well sought after. Other CSU’s he might want to consider would be SDSU/CSULB or CSU Fullerton if you he wants a solid safety.

I am sure he will several schools in which to choose come Spring.