Financial Aid affecting chances

Hello :slight_smile: less than 20 days till M10!

I’m an international applicant currently living in NJ and applying to 5 top BS for 10th grade.
As the title mentions, I am afraid that FA might greatly affect my chances.

I wanted to ask whether schools give acceptances but say that they won’t be able to offer FA (or less amount), or will they just straight up give rejections because they can’t provide FA?

Also, are any current BS students willing to share their SSAT scores and the school(s) they got accepted to? I’m scared that my SSAT might also affect my chances (although I only sent it to one school), especially as an international applicant.

Thank you!

Could be either. But more likely they’ll reject you if they can’t afford you.

The ssat is not the reason why anyone is accepted to boarding school. Schools are deemphasizing the ssat. Please don’t worry about it.

1 Like

okay, thank you!

Since the school that requires ssat is my top choice + me being an international applicant makes me worry about the high standards. But you’re right! ssat is less important and I do thrive in the music field. Thank you for your response!

1 Like

There have been a few comments on the forum in the past from parents saying they’d received a call from AOs saying/asking, more or less, whether they could switch to full pay i.e. that they’d be admitted as such. But that would seem to be the exception.

2 Likes

I would normally agree but OP had a verbal and reading score between 30-40. This would raise flags for AOs. Especially as an international student, they may be concerned that OP is not proficient enough in English.

1 Like

I did retake and ended up with 76% (improved but still not that good) with 84 V, 79 Q (previous 83), 43 R.

1 Like

Also, I had 102 toefl + been in the states for the past 4 years, which is why I’m not so worried about English proficiency (aside from ssat) but rather the FA offered to internationals.

Okay then your verbal score is probably fine. Reading is still low, but your TOEFL with cover you on proficiency.

Andover offers FA to many intl students. They are need blind so it shouldn’t hurt you there.

A lot of schools have international student FAQs and may mention their policy. Some schools do not offer FA to international students, and others only do rarely.

There are some schools that offer scholarships to applicants from certain countries or in certain situations (like a missionary, or active deployment in military).

I know there are programs in certain countries that also offer scholarships.

At the end of the day, if a school really needs someone that fills what they’re looking for, they will find the FA. If they need a star goalkeeper because this one is graduating this year, they’ll find the FA (this is just an example, but you get my point).

1 Like

Unfortunately, I did not apply to Andover/ Exeter (need-blind). All five schools I applied are eligible for internationals applying for FA but of course, didn’t mention the chances and numbers. So hopefully they will give some sort of FA if they do accept me or at least a call for FP?

1 Like

It’s possible. I wouldn’t know though.

2 Likes