Financial aid amount

<p>hey i was just wondering what other people got for their financial aid, i only got $672 from grants for UCR with a 3.3 gpa. is it low because i accepted it late? they said they released it on april 5 but i didnt accept the financial aid till now. my parents make around 80-90 grand a year combined.</p>

<p>I just accepted my grant money this week. With just a little over 3.0 (very low GPA) I received 14.4k in UCR grant money and an additional 3800 + 750 from fafsa. I was also awarded an extra 2500 for work study for a total of 21450.</p>

<p>I do not believe you accepted your grant money “late” as you can only accept it after you SIR and the deadline is by May I believe.</p>

<p>The reasoning for getting less grant money from what I thought was GPA based, but it must also be family income based as well, considering how much your parents make.</p>

<p>There’s a difference between grant money and scholarship money. The latter is more likely to be GPA and/or test based (although sometimes need is also factored into the equation). The former is generally based on your EFC which is a federally calculated number based on family income and assets. It is used to help determine what your need is. In cases like Cal Grant and Blue&Gold, it is based on an income ceiling (ex: Blue&Gold’s income ceiling is capped at $70,000 for the 2010-2011 school year).</p>

<p>Need is the cost of attendance minus the EFC. And with a family income as high as the OP’s, the very little grant money does not surprise me at all. When you accepted the award has nothing to do with the amount. However, if you submitted FAFSA late, that could affect the amount (although you would still be entitled to federal funds if you qualified which it does not sound like you did).</p>

<p>OP, what was your EFC?</p>