Financial aid and acceptance

<p>I'm about to submit my application to Loyola and I visited the school and got to know that the tuition is close to 50k. I went on the website and completed the net price calculator and found out that it would cost about 25k for me to attend. That's a lot of money. This is my dream school and my question is if I find in I got in (hopefully) is there any way for me to talk to or email someone from Loyola about reducing the cost. I'm also applying to Xavier as a backup and their net price calculator said that it was going to cost me 10k for that school. I saw on Loyola's website that they were promoting that they try and help students pay for school and I watched/listened to stories of students that Loyola helped, I really hope that they can help :( Also I have a 24 ACT (taking another one next week) and a 3.5 GPA. The only thing that I think that can help me is the fact that I've been doing research at the University of Louisville for about four years and I'm in the process of publishing a paper. I have also competed in array of science competitions and last year I was a semi finalist for the Intel International Science and Engineering Fair. Will that help me in any way to get into Loyola? I'm interested in partaking in undergraduate research.</p>

<p>Really would appreciate it if anyone could give me some input!</p>

<p>I can’t give you any advice on how Loyola makes decisions but I would take the net price calculator results with a grain of salt. I’ve seen weird results both ways…lots of aid or no aid. That being said, I would wait to see if you’re accepted and what you’re actually offered. Your background sounds impressive to me but you just never know! Have you researched grants? There’s money out there from so many different sources. I know someone who spent countless hours applying for grants but it paid off and helped offset the expenses. My child is applying to Loyola too so this is our first time dealing with their admission process. I wish you the best of luck!</p>

<p>As far as financial aid, my son, now a sophomore at Loyola, was given an initial package, but also given the chance to apply for some additional Loyola scholarships based on major, etc. He ended up getting most of his tuition paid for, but still had to pay all room and board. His ACT was 31, GPA probably about 3.8.But we did not know final offer until the spring.</p>

<p>I guess I’ll just have to keep my fingers crossed and hope that I get a good amount of money!</p>

<p>habba, my D applied to Loyola last cycle and initially received $16K in merit with acceptance letter. Our EFC was around $10K and Loyola’s gapped us $25K after loans. They don’t claim to meet the full need, but it was the worst fin aid package we received. So, make sure that you know your EFC amount and what your parents actually can pay. This is the key in evaluating the package.</p>

<p>I got my acceptance letter and received 13k in merit, now I just have to wait for the financial aid</p>

<p>Loyola definitely isn’t cheap, but they’re definitely not scrooges either. I was accepted and received 18k/yr initially through an automatic scholarship, and I know that they have other automatic scholarships ranging from 12k to 18k. Apply to outside scholarships for sure, but from what I’ve seen/heard, they’ll help you afford Loyola if you truly want to be there.</p>

<p>What are my chances if I got a 25 on my ACT and a 3.0 GPA . I am Hispanic girl living in-state, first generation soon-to-be college student. I attend a military school and a member of Drill Team for my last year and in Band for sophomore and junior years.I have over 40 hours of community service and counting.I originally had a 21 on my ACT but I retook it and ended going up 4 points!I got a solid 31 on both English and Reading!I have three AP classes and have had a couple of Honors.I’m applying for the nursing program.No chance right?</p>

<p>Sounds a lot like me. I applied to St Xavier too and got accepted with $11 k annual scholarship but Loyola is my dream school!!It’s just the money that presents a problem cause it’s a lot, so what I’m asking is what kind of merit scholarships do you get?What are the requirements for those? I need as much as possible</p>

<p>“they’ll help you afford Loyola if you truly want to be there.”
Why do you say that?? Cause that’s me right there</p>

<p>In all honesty, there are only a select number of schools to which some students simply have “no chance.” Those schools would be the Ivy’s, Northwestern, Stanford, UChicago, etc… But, you definitely have at least a chance at most schools. If Loyola is your dream school, then apply! The worst they can tell you is no, and it won’t change your life for the worst like some people would believe. As far as my statement about Loyola helping you afford the cost of attendance, I meant that if you are someone who wants to go there and is accepted, then they will work with you to help you pay for it. LUC has an “automatic scholarship consideration” factor when applying, which means that when they review your application for admission, they also review it to see if you qualify for an automatic scholarship without a separate application. For example, I got a 33 on my ACT and have a 3.9 GPA, and that alone probably qualified me for their Presidential Scholarship of $18,000 a year. I’m not going to lie to you and say you have a great chance at that specific scholarship with the facts you’ve listed, but they have a lot of other automatic scholarships ranging from $12,000 to the $18,000 presidential. And they don’t just take academics into consideration for those. They also look at things such as underrepresented groups (you and I are both Hispanics, so this means us), financial need (if you come from a lower-income family), and extra stuff (the community service and extracurriculars). So you may qualify for an automatic scholarship, but it’s not a given. However, LUC is a private college, and private colleges tend to have higher “sticker prices” but give much more in financial aid, generally speaking. If you are from a lower-income family but do not qualify for the “merit-based” scholarships (based off of grades and test scores mostly), then you will most likely qualify for “need-based” scholarships! Many times, these scholarships are worth as much, or even more than “merit-based” ones.</p>

<p>My advice to you, as a student looking to attend Loyola at an affordable price:
-Don’t think that the “sticker price” Loyola has is the same price everyone gets! Visit Loyola’s website and find their “Net Price Calculator.” This is a tool that will use your family’s financial record and your academic record to give you an estimate on how much LUC will cost you after scholarships, grants, loans, and student employment. This is is an ESTIMATE about YOUR PRICE, instead of the “sticker price.”
-APPLY, APPLY, APPLY! Apply for as many scholarships as you can, locally, regionally, and nationally. Search online, ask your counselors, do anything you need to do to find the money out there. As a Hispanic, first-generation college student, there is DEFINITELY something out there for you.
-Talk with your parents about finding a magic number, the price at which your family will be able to afford sending you to LUC if accepted.</p>

<p>I know I’ve thrown a lot of information in one post… but you seemed like you needed some help. Remember, apply to Loyola, but don’t put all your eggs in one basket. Visit tons of schools, narrow it down to the ones you could see yourself at, and apply to those, too! EVERYONE should have more than one option.</p>

<p>Here is a link for the Loyola 2013 Freshman Class Profile. Hopefully it helps, too!</p>

<p><a href=“http://www.luc.edu/undergrad/admission/applyasafreshman/2013freshmanclassprofile/[/url]”>http://www.luc.edu/undergrad/admission/applyasafreshman/2013freshmanclassprofile/&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;