Financial Aid Argument

Long story short, the college I applied to transfer to and got accepted in really skimped me out of finaid (EFC is less than 10k) and they want me to pay ~45k. I’m fine with taking out small loans but that’s too much.

I had an initial meeting with a finaid director and didn’t get far but they told me some valuable things. I did a lot of research about the school, budget, policies, etc and came up with an argument to present in my next meeting (This Tuesday).

I was wondering if anyone who does or used to work in finaid for a college would be able to hear me out through PM to tell me if what I’m doing has a chance of working or not as I really really want to attend this school and am trying to think of ways to make it work.

Thanks!

I wish you luck but keep in mind that in general financial aid can be tougher to come by for transfer students.

Two things:

1. EFC does not equal need as a school determines - they use a CSS form to determine your need. The EFC is not relevant.

2. BU guarantees to meet need for first year but not transfer students.

As for the job fair and few companies at GW - it’s a LinkedIn and indeed world. You’re more likely to find your job on your own not through the school.

Good luck.

6 Likes

I worked in financial aid until recently. If it’s BU, I’m not sure I will be able to provide helpful advice, but you can PM me.

1 Like

As noted. BU does not guarantee to meet full need for all transfer students.

Good luck with your meeting…but I hope you have an affordable option in case this doesn’t work out.

4 Likes

EFC is an estimate of the lowest amount that you will be expected to pay. It’s not a guarantee. You should have checked NPC (Net Price Calculator) for a better estimate.
You are a transfer student. Transfers typically don’t get much when they transfer.

I don’t think doing research about the BU budget is going to move the financial aid needle.
The FA office creates a budget for each student’s 4 year plan. Most of the funding is used to attract the Freshman class of athletes, artists, NM scholars and desired underrepresented students. The money “runs out”.

Also, does that include your estimates for living on campus? Living off campus, in Boston, is very expensive. You shouldn’t expect the school to supplement the rents in a high cost of living area.
I agree with @thumper1 to finish your degree at GW and save your cash.

STEM candidates can find jobs anywhere. It’s you, as the student who needs to be resourceful. The name and the prestige of the school doesn’t matter. If you’re going to an expensive school like BU, expect to pay their fees. They don’t guarantee to meet your costs.

2 Likes

Perhaps my main advice is to stay calm and professional throughout the discussion with BU. It is also likely that the person who you will be talking to might not have the authority to give you more on the call, but might just listen and perhaps get back to you later.

To me it seems very likely that you will end up needing to stay where you are (which I understand is GWU) for financial reasons – and that is fine. You are already at a good university in a very marketable major.

7 Likes