Financial aid at TCU and SMU

<p>Hi i was wondering if anyone who has previousely been excepted to both SMU and TCU could tell me what school gave them a better financial aid package?</p>

<p>Last year my daughter received a larger Merit Aid Scholarship from SMU than TCU but she chose TCU because she liked the feel of the campus and student body better. She now calls her Freshman year so far “heaven on earth” Loves her choice!! Thankfully it turned out to be more affordable</p>

<p>Thanks for the info! im assuming TCU was her cheaper option because of the overall cheaper cost of TCU?</p>

<p>That’s right (but only slightly). Would have chosen TCU regardless as she found the student body, administration, faculty and even the surrounding Fort Worth community friendly and more welcoming than SMU. And school spirit is off the charts here. Those kids bleed purple! Really brings them together. I’m sure you’ll find very happy students at SMU as well but the vibe is just very different. Hopefully those students deciding between these two schools will have the opportunity to visit each and decide personally whuch is a better fit.</p>

<p>My daughter has been accepted to both SMU and TCU for Fall 2013. She received a larger merit scholarship from TCU. She is a NMSF so we are hoping to add a little more if she becomes a finalist. Have not spoken to either about National Merit yet.
I have heard from other families that the 2 schools will sometimes match the other’s offer.</p>

<p>SnixTx: Congrats to your Daughter. And thanks for sharing about the scholarship matching opportunity. Wish we had known to at least try to ask for that! I think this is useful for all those applying for fall of 2013 still and believe SMU and TCU compete for the same students actually. TCU probably has a lower acceptance rate these days than SMU.</p>

<p>I have a friend whose son was interested in SMU and Tulane. Tulane offered him a better scholarship. SMU told them they would not match other schools but they did tell SMU what Tulane gave them and SMU matched it and he is about to graduate from SMU.</p>

<p>I have been accepted to TCU and SMU for the Fall of 2013. They have both given me the exact same amount in scholarships.</p>