Financial Aid Award =(

<p>
[quote]
UM is very generous with scholarships...

[/quote]
</p>

<p>Yes they are, but UM does not meet full financial need. Thus, even with a "generous scholarship," many applicants will still have a financial aid gap, which could be thousands of dollars.</p>

<p>Which can usually be covered with other forms of financial aid. But, yes, I understand that there are discrepancies for many families, and apologize if I was curt. However, that doesn't change the fact that the poster to whom I replied portrays UM far outside its true light, and that is what I was trying to emphasize.</p>

<p>Robert</p>

<p>I am also interested about any sort of appeal process. Does UM make it a strong point to hold onto accepted students?</p>

<p>my dad callled and they said i was lucky to get the aid i got hahah...still goin anyway :)</p>

<p>i got my aid package and if i took out a 15k loan and got a job i could go there... ****tttt.... lol any suggestions like how to appeal to them? i have had pretty good email correspondance w them, they know im interested. </p>

<p>god its my favorite school and i want to go so bad!!!</p>

<p>OK, here is my situation...</p>

<p>0 EFC!
$33,729 of aid
$3000 work-study
eligible for $7000 in loans
$9,876 in a plus or alternative loan
Might have a few other small scholarships coming (make up the cost of books, extra fees, whatever)</p>

<p>Soo...$43,729 plus another $3k loan should do it.</p>

<p>Grandparents paying for a laptop, so thats good.
Work at Ruby Tuesday, could transfer and serve there eventually.</p>

<p>Is $40k in debt worth going to UM?!? I got rejected from UF and my other choices are UCF and USF (which would suck).</p>

<p>dc:</p>

<p>Your total self-help, i.e., loans, for this year alone is ~$17k ($50k-$33k). Assuming an increase every year, you could be $75k in debt by graduation. No, it ain't worth it -- no college is.</p>

<p>You are lucky. My son got zero in grants and $5500 in subsidized loans and $3000 Work study. Thats it. I think becasue Miami only uses the FASFA and not the Profile they award much less than other schools. It was the only private school that did not consider the Profile. My sons scores were 2190/2400 - no merit aid. Doesn't look like he will be going to UM. Oh well. Good luck</p>

<p>Anyone here using the GI bill? I was awarded about 11K in grants over the year and apparently they assess my veteran benefits at 22K but this does not seem right to me. I don't know though. Still waiting on decisions from NYU and GW though, so not sure about attending this fall. I think after everything I will still pay around 10K per year out of pocket, and have maybe 7K-9K in loans per year. Not too bad I guess.</p>

<p>I don't understand--isn't that a LOT of aid? state schools, minus aid, are cheap compared to private schools, but the cost of attendance is going up (FL schools, for example, used to be 3k or so, which is one of the cheapest in the country, but will be 10k or so this year?)...so tuition plus room and board will equal 15-20k as well, right???</p>

<p>DC, don't forget, you get another 1500(?) or so off for living in Florida.</p>

<p>UM is private, not public. UM gaps their students who need financial aid. They seem to allocate their financial aid in more merit-based aid, rather than need-based.</p>

<p>I know UM is private (my brother goes there, I got in with a scholarship though I don't think I'm going). I was saying, that's a LOT of aid the OP is receiving, and isn't what the person's family has to pay really similar to what they'd have to pay for the state school, anyway?</p>

<p>No. My EFC is <3k. In FSU I got my need met fully through grants and scholarship -- over 15k/per year. I am expected to contribute 2k a year for the COA. UF was less generous; however, I would only have 3k subsidized loan a year and the rest of the need was met through scholarship/grants.</p>

<p>If an individual filled out the FAFSA in the beginning January and has a really EFC, a lot of their need will be met through Federal, State, and Institutional Grants along with any merit-based scholarships they have.</p>

<p>The OP has a really low EFC, it would be equivocally be cheaper at FL public school, especially he/she has the 100% Bright Futures.</p>

<p>I am a HS Junior from CT. I have a 3.75/4 gpa at one of the best public schools in the state. I get my SAT scores back this tuesday so I will have more information but I am hoping for about a 2000-2100. I would need a scholarship to be able to afford the school I was wondering what everyone thinks of my chances?</p>