Financial aid chance!

Hi, I am wondering how much Financial aid I may get. I’m a out of state looking to apply to UW Madison this fall, and may attend if I can get close to a full ride (paying 10k or less a year).

Right now, the only other state school I am applying to is UMass(In state) though, but I am interested in UW-Madison as I spent 5 years of my childhood in Madison and would love to go back! I know that UW-Madison is a match school for me and that I may get admitted. However, I just don’t know how much financial aid the University will give. Would applying early help with financial aid? I know that I am considered out of state but my parents paid years of taxes to the state of Wisconsin and have worked at the University, so will that help?

For stats and ECs: I am currently attending one of the top public schools in Massachusetts and my stats are 2220 SAT(650 CR 770 W 800M) (Single: Retaking for reach schools), and 3.90/4 UW GPA with 5 APs and almost all honors (only 2 regular classes freshman year) by the end of junior year (3 APs and 3 Honors for course load senior year). I also have good ECs, nothing mind blowing though (interned at Mass General hospital, 300 hours of service, participate in JV/V sports all four years, and president of 2 clubs). My family income is also around 65-70K.

Before this past admissions season, I was extremely interested in UW Madison but didn’t think about applying out of state to state schools because of the cost and because I didn’t know how much out of state financial aid schools usually give. However, my friend, who has about twice family income, got into UIUC honors with 15K/year aid, little to no ECs, and 200 points less on the SAT and a similar GPA. He also never lived in Illinois. Not saying he didn’t deserve it, but I just feel really happy for him and his result made me really optimistic, hoping I can get a similar result.
Thanks

Try the Net Price Calculator on the financial aid website after you calculate your projected FAFSA EFC.

If your FAFSA EFC is $14,001 or higher the NPC shows you’ll get zero gift aid from UW-Madison.

https://finaid.wisc.edu/award-estimator.php

Applying early won’t help and it doesn’t matter that your parents used to pay Wisconsin income taxes.

It’s hard to tell how much financial aid you will receive. Make sure you are on top of all the important deadlines for FAFSA and other financial aid forms. Also, don’t be afraid to contact the financial aid office at UW-Madison. They can be extremely helpful and answer any questions you may have.

UW is not known for much merit aid, especially for OOS as I understand it. You will qualify for need based aid based on the above. Some schools use high stats to give merit aid, UW does not.

btw- you are likely to get accepted.