Financial aid decision

Does anyone know when the Texas A &M financial aid decision usually comes out?

On another post the individual said they had called and were told the last full week in February.

The guy at my local place told me Feb 23, not sure if true or not.

Looks like the financial aid portal is down for updating the aid packages. Good luck to everyone.

The portal is down and says they hope to have it up by tomorrow at 10. Echoing ggbucks… good luck!

Portal back up. Good luck everyone. My son is scared to log in and look, LOL

Well not good news for us. My son is OOS. Stats: 33 ACT, 4.0 UW, 4.4 weighted, all 5’s AP’s, great EC’s and leadership and community service, part time job etc. We were hoping for at least a $4000 merit award and then a tuition waiver. Well, he got a lousy $1250 merit award, the opportunity award. Guess you need perfect ACT scores to warrant more? The bottom line was over $40,000 a year which they suggested a parent plus loan for, well that’s significantly more than I even make in a year so now what? We asked about departmental scholarships and were told engineering gives those mostly to upper class students after the freshman are weeded out who can’t basically cut it. To say we are disappointed is an understatement.

did you submit FAFSA for financial aid vs. merit scholarships? Also, $1250 is a decent amount for TAMU – they just don’t have many high dollar scholarships & they stack. Do you have other offers from other schools yet?

Don’t feel bad @ggbucks, my daughter received $0 in merit awards and she has similar stats as your son. To say we are disappointed is also a huge understatement. I was thinking the same thing about what it must take to get a scholarship. I am hoping she receives something from at least one other scholarship she has applied for or I am going to cry!!

TAMU is sonny boys first choice. He wants to study petroleum engineering so our choices were limited. Full ride to Alaska, lol, Presidential Scholarship at Colorado school of mines, bottom line still over $30,000. I filled out the FAFSA the day it came up. He did get a few bones for aid, but bottom line is still $40,000 a year. There is nothing to stack I guess. We really needed that tuition waiver. This process is awful!!!

Is it worth calling TAMU and trying to get more aid/scholarship as an OOS student?

What is your EFC? Is it over the OOS tuition amount?

LOL it’s $2200. Pathetic I know. I’m disabled so very little income.

For sure call financial aid and ask – let them know about the other offers & your EFC. Good luck!

What is also odd is that he got a $3,500 merit award called the “Maroon Merit Award” but in the fine print it said that didn’t qualify for the waiver, which I do not understand! If it qualified and we got the waiver, we would be in a much better situation!

Those awards are not competitive with in-state applicants - so they don’t qualify. The terms are based on state law - the waiver requirements are actually set up by the state of Texas not TAMU.

Not looking good here either. No offers for anything aside from Federal Loans totalling $5k. $20k suggested Plus loan but I don’t have the credit to cosign. We aren’t sure what we are going to do. My boy worked hard to be an automatic admit and I owe it to him to find a way for him to do this.

Well like I said before clearly you need perfect act scores to warrant $4000 in merit to get a waiver. No wonder oos enrollment here is so low. I called aid office. No more aid or merit. No appeal process. Their lousy package stands. Moving on.

I empathize@jsmom1974. I can’t do the 40,000 parent loan either. My son said what was the point of working and staying focused to not even earning a small enough merit for a oos waiver. I had to agree with him

We’re in the same boat @ggbucks . My son got the Maroon Merit Award, but it doesn’t count toward the waiver. I’m bummed. Kiddo worked hard to be an academic admit, but the high price tag makes attending very difficult to justify, especially when we look at the offers from other schools. My husband is a former student and we’ve traveled from New England to Aggieland at least 10 times throughout my son’s childhood to attend football games. A&M holds a special place in our hearts, but it seems this isn’t meant to be.