Financial aid decision

Instate here:

I got nothing, only loans. Really depressing but what can you do. Does anyone know if Engineering Honors has its own scholarships?

I received the Presidents Endowed Scholarship ($3000) and an Opportunity Award of $1000, meaning i qualified for the Non-Resident Tuition Waiver. I’m not trying to brag as i really do understand the disappointment of people who didn’t qualify, i just want to give my stats so people have that information.

ACT: 35
UW GPA: 4.0 (took the hardest classes my school offers, we don’t have AP)
From Southern Illinois

However, my opportunity award is a one-year award which means i won’t qualify for the waiver after freshman year unless i somehow find $1000 more through competitive scholarships as a continuing student. Because of this uncertainty after my first year and the low chances of me qualifying for the waiver each year, i probably won’t get to attend anyway because OOS tuition is so high, i can’t take the risk of having to pay it for 3 years. I really wish A&M did a better job of bringing in OOS students but hey, it’s their choice. I’m sorry for anyone who didn’t qualify.

@quackunited, all, The state limits the number of OOS tuition waivers it can offer each year. It is not A&M’s decision. It was also the state that mandated the change from $1000 competitive scholarship to qualify to $4000, beginning with class 2021.

https://scholarships.tamu.edu/Non-Resident-Tuition-Waiver

The State subsidizes a lot of funding for our public higher education for Texas residents and they do not want to subsidize an undue amount of non residents, so the state puts a limit on the amount of tuition waivers it can offer.

According to the DARS report for fall 2016 (Fall 2017 is still preliminary), the residency status of students was 45,850 Tx Resident, 1, Non-Texas US Residents 727, and 969 Non-Texas Non-US Residents. The students paying instate tuition was was 35,734. The number of students paying Out of State tuition was 1,362 and the number of tuition waivers/tuition exemptions was 1250.

https://dars.tamu.edu/Data-and-Reports/Student/files/EPFA16.aspx

In 2012 (I tried to find a new stat but am too tired) these are the institutions of higher learning Texas funded for its residents.

The Texas public higher education system encompasses 38
general academic teaching institutions (including law
schools); 50 community and junior college districts; one
technical college system with four main campuses; three
lower-division state colleges; and nine health-related
institutions, which operate a total of eight state medical
schools, three dental schools, two pharmacy schools, and
other allied health and nursing units. In addition, there are
seven agencies that are components of the Texas A&M
University System.

A&M also doesn’t offer a lot for instate students in order to offset some of the annual costs. And they still get over 40,000 applications a year and try to keep the incoming freshman class below 10,000 students, who accept admissions and attend.

Does anyone know the timeline for transfer admissions to show Financial Aid? My older daughter has been accepted and we have a low efc and qualify for the Aggie Assurance program, but so far nothing on the Fin Aid portal. It will be hard to determine if she can really attend without seeing what that aid will really look like. I was hoping to see something on this last update but nothing. Thanks!

Aid amount posted couple of days back. Not good.

Scholarships - $3000
Various Loans - $26374
Total - $29374

I am not sure how a&m comes up with their estimates, but between the most expensive dorm (2 person suite at Hullabaloo) versus the least expensive dorm (Walton, hart) , there is a $3,000 semester difference or a $6,000 year difference. Real money!

@bader316 are you in state or oos?

@ggbucks in-state.

Here’s the links of the explanation of COA http://financialaid.tamu.edu/Cost
the breakdown of COA by $ (cost of attendance)http://financialaid.tamu.edu/Undergraduate/Cost-of-Attendance#0-CollegeStationUndergraduate.

Some of the costs are travel & personal expenses ( $5400) Chances are you pay for those costs ( toothpaste, shampoo, clothing,etc) and travel isn’t THAT much unless you fly … a lot. The housing is housing + meals… again you probably feed your child at home. Your actual new expenses are tuition, books & housing. As Tuppence22 pointed out there is a wide range of housing costs, so you can adjust up or down based on your choices. It is the ‘official’ number that is used for FAFSA since every student will have different amounts if you qualify for need, that is the number they use for every undergraduate…

$27922 instate, $54116 out of state for 2018-2019

I filled up for ISFAA Can you chance me for getting any scholarship or aid(preferably upto 4000$)
SAT:1280(the only weakness)
GPA:3.9/4
IELTS:7.5(India)
great ECs and stupendous LORs

@mojojojo23 we just experienced the defeat of not getting $4000 for the waiver. My sons stats 33 ACT, 4.0 UW, 4.4 W, tons of EC with much leadership. He too awesome rec letters. Best of luck to you, I hope you have better luck.

@ggbucks

Hi! I’m in state so take what I say with a grain of salt, but my merit based awards went up when I physically went to the prospective student center and asked about my financial aid. Then I went to the scholarship department, then I went to my Majors Department. They should have a “emergency fund” ready for special cases like in case you report you have an external circumstance or something like that.

PS, they don’t really run out of scholarships because they tend to reallocate some of the scholarships from the people who declined their admissions because they don’t want to give donors that money back. I can’t find the source online but if you call and ask they will tell you . However they may not disperse these Awards until the summer as it was seen with a lot of engineering students last year. That’s how my oos friends ended up getting waivers.

@highschooler17

Engineering honors does house scholarships! Although they’re just the first come first serve. I think Nancy Amato is handing them out this year if you want to email her.

@ggbucks a lot of the competitive scholarships for the tuition waiver don’t start coming out until later. Some even come as late as July. There is a whole thread of it from last year. I can try to find it later or you are welcome to go hunt for it.

Wow really@thelma2? Financial told us that was it. Take it or move on. That’s very interesting. Thanks.

We did reach out to engineering yesterday. We were told most go to upper class men due to the large drop out of freshman each year? I’ll have sonny boy reach out to Nancy. You guys on this thread are a godsend!

@ggbucks well let’s see… since only a few international applicants apply so they usually do give it to them and if the results do come later there is a hope for you too!

Well if you already knew you would probably get a scholarship as an international student you didn’t need to ask what your chances were.

Just wanted to share that it was comforting to me when I realized a few months ago how much I will be SAVING with a kid being in college vs. high school, which I can think of as an offset against anticipated college costs. I know I could come up with $4,000 of stuff that we pay now for a year of high school, which makes up for at least the “personal expenses” component of the cost of attendance estimate. For example, we will not have to pay for the cost of participating in high school sports and other high school organizations, such as fundraisers, dues, athletic apparel, trips, banquet tickets, dance tickets, mum and flowers, AP exams, PTA dues, academic and athletic booster club donations, and it just goes on and on. Also, when we go out to dinner, we will have one less to pay for much of the time. Just a thought . . .

@ggbucks Wow thanks for the comment! I was just simply stating a fact and just not want to lose on hope like people here said. So chill